1. LizRein

LizRein New Member

Help...Writers Block

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by LizRein, Jul 19, 2012.

Hello Everyone,

I can currently writing a book about a team bionic soldiers. I want to reveal the main characters abilities to his girlfriend. He is not supposed to tell anyone so she has to see it accidentally. They are in his New York City apartment. He has super speed, regeneration, super hearing and sight. Any suggestions???

I have thought about him preventing her from being hurt but they are in an apartment how many ways can she be in danger?

Thanks!

2. Morkonan

Morkonan Senior Member

Use what every single mystery writer should fall back on whenever they hit a stumbling block..

"In walks a man with a gun."

There, done.

In other words, there's some reason that someone wants your hero dead. Neither he nor his girlfriend know why. But, she witnesses his shooting, which would have been fatal if he hadn't been gifted with super powers. So, in walks a man with a gun who shoots your hero "dead" and then leaves, while the hero's girlfriend is hiding out in the apartment where the deed occurs and witnesses everything.

3. LizRein

LizRein New Member

The man with the gun comes in later. I want her to know beforehand.

Thanks!

4. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

super speed, regeneration, super hearing and sight.
    does she have to find out about everything?

5. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

I think protecting himself and her would be instinctive so if something dangerous were to happen to her, he would respond using his powers without thinking about it. So have a shelf tip over or a heavy item could fall from a top shelf when she's reaching for something or they could be kissing and forget about the stuff on the stove and it catches fire or there's a mouse and she's screaming and he manages to catch and kill it barehanded or he could hear her phone that is on vibrate in her purse in the other room or the power could go out and he could catch her when she stumbles going to get a flashlight (even though he was clear across the room) and then she could notice that he got cut on the glass coffee table that tipped over and broke when she stumbled into it and having his cut heal before her eyes confirms there's something up, even if she was trying to explain away everything else that happened.

6. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I like the idea of using fire and the example Amy gave about the stove is a good one. It's dramatic, realistic and symbolic in a way that can be interesting and provide some good character development.

7. LizRein

LizRein New Member

I was thinking the regeneration would spill the beans on it all.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a thread for writers block. But that isn't your problem. You are looking instead for others to come up with your story for you.

That is not writing.

9. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

ditto Cog's post.. you're simply brainstorming, without actually brainstorming.. you're not asking yourself questions, you're not thinking critically.. we all hit these problems where we write ourselves into a wall... it's usually the result of not thinking the entire thing out.. or, in my case, letting an initial spark fuel the story without giving thought to its direction and then I'm 5k words deep, with no story, poor execution since it's a rough draft, and devoid of any character arc.

the journey of writing and the thing that makes the art beautiful, in my opinion, is how we get ourselves out of these little road blocks.. the process that allowed us to see that the right turn at the crossroad was left, or maybe we chose left, and found out later we need to backtrack and go the other way... you wouldn't be writing fiction, or thinking creatively, if you weren't anaylyzing what the story is about in the first place..

10. AmyHolt

You're correct about one thing, brainstorming isn't writing. You brainstorm about where to take a story and then you have to actually sit down and write it, in your own voice and words - that's what makes your story unique (you preach that all the time and I wholeheartedly agree). One of the reasons to use a writers forum is to brainstorm with other writers. I think Liz went about it perfectly. This is where I'm at -- help me come up with some different ideas where I could go. We aren't writing the scene for her, we are simply talking about options. Talking through a story is not a bad thing. Brainstorming can certainly be overdone but it shouldn't be beat up the way it is on this forum. It's a valuable part of a writers tool kit.

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

The only problem with brainstorming in this case is we only have a snippet to go on. Most brainstorming sessions I've had (with my betas) involved more knowledge of the story to date and some idea of where I wanted the story to go (or not go) - and I've come up with the basic ideas first (so more "This is what I was thinking - does that sound like it would work?").

12. LizRein

LizRein New Member

Thank you Amy.

13. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

Of course everyone is looking for an outlet to spew ideas and hear feedback on them. As shadowwalker identified, we have but a small amount of information to work with. Where are the questions youre trying to figure out? The needs of your character? What does he/she want? What are the potential obstacles? Where's the necessary information about the story required for a brainstorm to take place. There was no such thing in the original post, save for a single question produced, with a vague premise on the direction based solely on a character description. That leaves us asking the questions for the OP, which, in my opinion, is what Cog identified.

14. AmyHolt

This brainstorming question seemed pretty straight forward. A bionic soldier's abilities are going to be revealed to his girlfriend but he doesn't actually flat out tell her. She figures it out because she sees something. Liz gives a few more details that would be relenant like what the soldier's abilities are (speed, hearing, sight and regeneration) and where the setting is (his apartment). There's the information ~ Go. What ways could she figure it out? What situations would allow that to happen?

I don't think it's necessary and could get very long and hard to follow if she went into too much detail. Keep it simple. After all she isn't looking for us to write her story so there's no need to go into great detail. She just wants ideas she can use as launching pads, stepping stones that sort of thing. If you have a question, I'm sure she'd answer it to help you better understand what she's asking.

My stand is ~ Comment if you have ideas that are helpful. Don't comment if nothing comes to mind. Ask questions if it isn't clear. But don't rake someone over the coals for asking for help on a forum that is designed for asking for help.

15. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

My problem is that, although I may be able to come up with some ideas, it's impossible to make them of any value with the limited amount of information provided - the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. We could list hundreds of possible ways for this gal to discover the guy's secret powers - most of which probably wouldn't be in the least bit appropriate based on the rest of the story.