1. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

How to separate my journal from other text?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by LeeBookProject, Jan 29, 2023.

Hi,

I shall be using sections of my journal when writing my personal story.

What is the convention to make it clear that the two texts are different?

Different font etc?

Thanks, Lee

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Maybe always put journal entries in the same place, like at the beginnings of some chapters, and always begin with a date. Also a different 'voice'—more casual, maybe leave out some articles etc. More the way somebody would write, probably not with full proper English and full sentences etc. More like:

Tues. April 2
    Walked around block today—legs getting stronger but still some pain. No dogs, at least no vicious ones. Poodle licked my leg though. Only had to stop once halfway up front steps to rest.

Also maybe indent the way I did, and center it so it's indented on both sides a bit. Just a few little things like that to change visual formatting and make the writing sound a little less formal.

petra4 likes this.
  3. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

Thanks Xoic, I'll do that. I'm using my diary entries to support my mental health memoir/autobiography. Not quite sure what the end result will be!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Xoic likes this.
  4. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

If I wanted to include an email what would this look like?

Would it be the same with date and indented text?

Lee

5. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

When reading the graphic memoir, Marbles by Ellen Forney, i think she said something like "these are the sketches from my sketch book while i was off my meds"

The memoir is about the author dealing with mental illness. She mixed in her visual journal in with her story, and once it was introduced like that the first time, you knew whenever you saw something different from the comic style the book is drawn in, that you were switching to her journal.

If you do it Xoics way, you may only need to introduce it once as a passage of your journal. Then continue to write it in that font going forward.

6. Xoic

Maybe use a different font, and of course it would be formatted like an email, showing recipent's and sender's email names plus the date. Look at an email and see how they're formatted, use that structure. I Just checked mine and it looks like this:

Winger <hello@mg.***winger.com>
    Wed, Jan 25, 1:00 PM (5 days ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me

I insterted a bunch of **'s to hide the actual name, and of course you'd make up an email handle. But look at a real email, a few of them, because they can all look a bit different. Find a style you like and copy that as well as you can. Actually after the 'to me' there was a little downward-pointing arrow, filled in solid black, that didn't copy over here. I could probably get that effect if I downloaded the right font, but I think it needs to be standard fonts so it will show up if somebody gets an ebook version of your story and doesn't have special fonts installed. And you can even have it say something like 'Sorry to send yet another brief email, but...' or whatever, to make sure people know this is an email. Just play around to make it look somewhat different from the journal entries, while still not looking too much like the normal story font and formatting. You know, make it look like a real email.

7. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

Thank you both for your help. :)

It always feels less overwhelming after I chat here.

Lee

8. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

This is related I think. So will not create a new topic.

Over the years words from songs, TV and fims are better than my words when inserted into my context. They really hit a bullseye when describing my emotions, environment or experience.

When I was writing essays for a degree I used a bibliography, but I don't know what the presentation process would be with just writing my own story occasionally using someone elses words?

Thanks, Lee

9. Xoic

Chapter 17

"Let me please introduce myself
    I'm a man of wealth and taste
    And I laid traps for troubadours
    Who get killed before they reached Bombay"

—Sympathy for the Devil, The Rolling Stones​

Then the chapter goes here.....

That's one way to do it anyway. The chapter heading and quote don't need to be centered, they can be placed on the left, or the quote could even go on the right. I've seen that done somewhere. In fact, let me do it that way. It looks better actually.

10. LeeBookProject

LeeBookProject Member

Thank you.

Lee