1. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird Member

Help!!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Dickie Bird, Feb 19, 2011.

I'm actually starting to annoy myself becuase I've got an idea and plotted the storyline, but cannot seem to allow myself to write, becuase I think everything sounds rubbish, and it really annoys me that its rubbish and I find myself hitting delete constantly anyone got any ideas on how I can combat it!!!

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributing Member Contributor

Stop using the delete key unless you are correcting a mispelling. Just type out everything you can think of. Do not delete it. You worry about removing/rearranging pieces after your draft is finished.

3. Spring Gem

Spring Gem Member

Would you expect to paint a picture or play a musical instrument perfectly the first time you tried? Give yourself permission to practice and learn the craft. You will make mistakes. Your story won't match what you see in your mind. Everything will seem like crap, but no one will see it but you. However, the more you write, the better your writing will get. As you improve you can go back and revise older manuscripts. The only thing that can't be improved is a blank page. And if you think professional writers can just whip out a perfect first draft every time, read Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird.

4. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird Member

Yeah!!!! I know what you mean!!! Writing my first novel didn't see this flipping hard!!! Although i remember it being like that where I couldn't write for days at a time!!! I just can't seem to get into this!! Maybe it isn't the right plot, although the story line does intrigue me!!!

5. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon Senior Member

I agree with what others have said above. Sometimes you just need to force yourself to write and avoid criticizing yourself. If it's a new project, your enthusiasm may pick up when you get further into it.

If you are still having real trouble staying interested in your project after that, maybe think about what worked with your first novel and what's not working in the outline for the new one, and consider making some changes to your plan to make it more interesting to you. I had two projects that I ended up throwing out after I'd done a significant amount of work on them and realized that in one, I didn't like my characters enough and in another, I just hadn't chosen conflicts that were strong enough to sustain interest in the novel.

6. ShortBus

ShortBus Member

just start writing it. come back when you have forgotten most of what you've written. then you can criticize yourself and make the necessary changes.

or you can just move on and write something else.

7. Helmsing

Helmsing Member

Not much more to add. Previous members are correct, do not doubt yourself. An example is a short I am working on. Thought the plot idea was great but started writing and a new idea came to me that sounded better so I changed it and now this, this, and this does not fit correctly but overall writing the first draft (even if it sounds poor) helps.

8. colorthemap

colorthemap Contributing Member

Its only rubbish if you write it that way.

Don't read it for a while and lie to yourself until you do.

9. litchickuk

litchickuk Member

You sound like me when I first started. Id read so much that I never thought I could compare so why bother. But you have to perservere and kick your own ass! I suggest you get rid of the computer until you have written a draft - doesnt have to be a whole story/novel, can just a be a scene or your plan. Writing in a notebook/on scraps of paper/on a length of wallpaper even, is much easier because you are less likely to go back over what you have just written until you have reached the end. I too sat there in front of a computer and wrote a handful of sentences and was constantly trying to perfect them, play with the word choice and inevitably delete the whole lot and feel crap! Now I write everything for the first, and sometimes the second, time on paper by hand and then when its out of my head, I go dust off the computer and type it up. Its then there to play with. It wouldnt actually be there if I had tried to write it on the computer.
    So grab a pen/pencil/quill and a notebook/sketchpad/scroll and see if that helps you get it out of your head better than some high-tech machine. Hopefully you will also start feeling more confident about your abilities once you get the words flowing.
    Good Luck

10. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

The biggest challenges in writing are things like plot holes, writing yourself into a corner, being stuck because you have no clue how to save yourself if you were in your MC's position, thus no idea how to save your MC - those kinds of things. They usually strike around 1/3 of the way through the novel to the end.

That means that if you write a novel from beginning to end and work out those kinks, the hardest part's done. Weak scenes, bad grammar and cheesy dialogue are the easy-to-fix parts, so don't let yourself worry about them.

Anyone can think of a cool idea for a story.
    Less, but still many, can flesh out that idea enough to have novel potential.
    Tons of people begin to write novels.
    Less push through the challenges after the first-chapter honeymoon phase.
    Still less get far into it.
    Very few finish.
    Very, very few finish and revise it to where it's really good.
    Only a select few get published.

See what I mean? Anyone can think of the ideas - most of writing is in fact thinking - but the only way to be a writer is to push through your reservations and write the damn thing. Don't worry if it sucks. You can revise.

Good luck! :)

11. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributing Member Contributor

Great advice from Mallory here!

A friend recently lent me a book by Anne Lamott called Bird by Bird. In it she talks a lot about motivation for writing. It's a pretty good read. In the introduction, she mentions a James Thurber quote:

"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward."

It's a profound idea that in order to succeed, you first have to give yourself permission to fail. This is a subject discussed at length in my favourite book, The Inner Game of Tennis.