1. Rastathialla

Rastathialla Member

Help!!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rastathialla, Apr 13, 2008.

Ok, I have to write a 13 page story for creative writing class.

and I am having the worst 'writers block' EVER!!!

I need ideas and help...even if you all just give me a bunch of ideas at once I could try to meld them all into one..

thanks all

rasta

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The best advice I can give is to start with the kind of stories you like to read. Is there anything you've read that has made you ask yourself, "But what if they had done this instead?" or thought to yourself, "I don't believe it would have turned out that way."

These are the germs of most of my inspiration.

Another approach might be to look at the themes of some of the recent Short Story competitions, and pick one that intrigues you - You can find them under Contests and Competitions -> Weekly Short Story Competitions -> Weekly Short Story Competition Archives. I recommend looking only at the theme challenges, not the submitted stories themselves.

Soimeone else's story ideas are not what you want. What you want is to prime the well of your own creativeity.

3. Rastathialla

Rastathialla Member

oooh i didn't think about checking there...thanks Cogito

4. InPieces

InPieces Senior Member

I find that if i become momentarily disconnected from the story and then read it over, i can continue writing with a clearer head. Sometimes, I think i write myself into a wall, and it takes a few moments of reorganization to get back on track.

5. nburwell

nburwell Senior Member

Whenever I have writer's block, I put the story away for a few hours, do my normal activities and then go back to it again and start over. If you haven't started writing the story yet, its great to switch your mind in to inventive mode. Look at everything (cereal boxes, park benches, medicine bottles, cups) as an idea starter. It can take a few minutes to get started but it works.

Look around you. What's there? A flower? Now go into the Character World. Who it standing at that flower now?(or a flower that's hidden deep in the character world, in a jungle that is surrounded by large trees and bushes. You can hear the animals screeching and yelping loudly around you. Suddenly, you hear footsteps coming up behind you. They are heavy, crunching the leaves that cover the muddy ground. You are afraid to turn around and feel frozen while you stare at the flower in front of you.) That's an example.

Now look around you again. What else do you see? A roll of tape. Go back into the Character World. What is happening around it there? A young girl is using it to make a school project made with bright colored construction paper. Her safety scissors seem old and they barely work. There are screaming children running around her, you hear crying babies. As you look around, you see a woman sitting in a rocking chair trying to lull a baby to sleep. The house is full of children, all of them awake and rambunctious. The little girl that was making her school project hears the dog bark and as it runs through the house she gets up and follows it. As she runs past the kitchen counter, you see a piece of paper that says "Millen Family Foster Home" on the top.

Use this technique to get an idea that strikes you and makes you passionate. When you just can't stop writing, you have your story. A great way to develop the characters is when you aren't working on the story. When you put the story down for a break, take the time to work on the characters just a bit. From what you have written, go back into the Character World and see your characters. What color is their hair? What texture is it? What color are their eyes? Do they shine with excitement or are they dull with boredom?

The Character World and characters are a great help with writing. My characters live with me and I never have a problem with writer's block. I hope this technique helps you with your writer's block. Good luck.

~Natalie

6. P2W2

P2W2 Member

My thoughts:

I don't get writer's block because, generally, I would have thought about the piece I want to write.

When I can't write, I just start omitting what's in my mind on to a paper. Just brainstorm and put everything on to a paper (or a notepad/MS word if you wish). Even if it's not organized, even if it has no structure, just omit.

Once I am done with that, I organize and come up with themes. Then I start writing. And if I find holes, I fill them up.