Tags:
  1. jrdarkness2

jrdarkness2 New Member

My Villain

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jrdarkness2, Jun 23, 2011.

My villain could very well be my main character. She is intelligent, caring, wise, can snap sometimes, and has a short term memory. She is the daughter of the goddess Rinoah, the goddess of balance in my story. She is addicted to sunlight, and hates dark places.

Her goal is like Robin Hoods. As she believes in balance due to her mother, she wants to topple the rich and help the poor.

However, she doesn't know how that would reflect in other worlds, namely, Earth. The status of Earth is reflected by the status of my world. Her goal is to wipe the minds of the rich leaders, and put them somewhere far away to have a new life. She will then make smart people from the poverty the leaders. Sounds perfectly fine, but since Earth is reflected from this world, it is bad for them.

On Earth, the world leaders are replaced by gangsters, thugs, prisoners. The world falls into chaos, and my world follows, as they are linked.

The main character knows this and tries to reason with my villain, but he cannot make contact.

Do you think this would classify her as a villain or an ignorant hero?

Do you think it's a good plot?

2. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Stories have some sort of conflict:

Person vs. another person.
    Person vs. them selves.
    Person vs. nature/God.

What is the role of this character in your story. You say you have a main character so who or what is the main character challenging if not the person you are questioning as the villain? Is it the World Leaders? What is the character's (that you think should be a villain) role in the story?

3. jrdarkness2

jrdarkness2 New Member

Her role is that of a villain. She is trying to help her world without thinking of the repercussions. She believes in balance, and wants her world to be set straight. She doesn't know what will happen to Earth, though.

The main character wants to stop her, and try and fix his world by restoring the leaders from my world. Edana is portrayed as a villain though because she is doing the opposite of what the main character wants.

4. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Well there you go, Edana is your antagonist, a.k.a. your villain.

5. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I am going out on a limb and making a huge assumption here. My guess is that you are thinking of turning the, "villain" good and maybe a romance with the MC and you are wondering if it is ok to change your plot to this new direction. Is this correct?

6. Protar

Protar Active Member

It sounds like an interesting concept and there is nothing wrong with having a villain that believes that they're doing good. It seems like she could be portrayed as both a hero and villain though. In her world she's doing good but on Earth she's a villain. Maybe the two worlds discover each other and a war is started because both sides want what is best for their world? One thing that I'm against is her being the daughter of a god. Generally people don't like that. You risk making her boring and invincible. Why can't she do her thing as a mortal?

7. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Correction: A story usually have some sort of conflict. The word usually is kinda important here. In this story it's a bit difficult to see who the villain is, but maybe you don't need one? We have the MC trying to good, aka is an obvious hero. But the villain is also trying to good, so she is a hero, too. Just in a different way. The 'villain' in the story is the side-effects on earth. But are they really that bad? They are bad for earth, yes, but she is trying to improve the other world. So if they save earth, wouldn't it mean they doom the other world? And just like that, you got a great concept without any of the usual confilcts. ;)

8. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Sounds more along the lines of an anti-hero than a villain to me.

9. Heather

Heather New Member

I think it would maybe make your novel more interesting, jrdarkness, if this woman isn't necessarily the villian. In real life you rarely gets heroes and villians, just people who's views contradict one another - it doesn't strictly make one of them evil or bad. This would be interesting to explore, how even though her actions contradict the MC, she is not necessarily evil.

10. jrdarkness2

jrdarkness2 New Member

Thanks for all your help. And thanks for the idea - maybe the two worlds discovering each other would be nice.

I'll remove the god part. I'll change it to being a priest/worshipper. I want to incorporate the goddess of balance with her somehow to add some reason/motivation for her goal.

11. jrdarkness2

jrdarkness2 New Member

Thanks for all your help. And thanks for the idea - maybe the two worlds discovering each other would be nice.

I'll remove the god part. I'll change it to being a priest/worshipper. I want to incorporate the goddess of balance with her somehow to add some reason/motivation for her goal.