1. Plushii

Plushii New Member

Writer with a phobia of writing here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Plushii, Apr 27, 2008.

Hello and I hope everyone has had a splendid day today! I spent 10 hours in a car. Fun.

Anyway, I'm Kaci, and I'm currently struggling with a very severe problem with my writing. This might sound odd, but I have a phobia of writing. I kid you not, whenever I have to write a story or want to, I start getting panicky, feel lightheaded, I get nauseas, and my heart races.

So I'm joining this website in hopes that other writers can help me get over it, because I used to be so passionate about my writing, until I became afraid of it.

My ultimate goal in life is to write and illustrate my own stories...Wouldn't that be something...

2. Quills By Pen

Quills By Pen Active Member

Hello to you,
    I sincerely hope you will find the help your looking for here on the Writing Forum.
    We all Welcome You!
    Quills

3. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey Kaci :) Hope your phobia goes away from your stay here

4. roshinerinn1977

roshinerinn1977 Banned

Hi Kaci. Thank heavens I am not the only one. Hope your phobia gets better. Just posted my first thing, and am actually shaking, so don't feel too bad. Be brave, close your eyes, and just take a leap. Sorry I don't have better advice.
    Blessed Be,
    Missie

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Heyur Kaci, welcome to the site. I am sorry that thinking about writing has this affect on you and I do hope you can get oever it. Just start with little things, short papagraphs and eventually move onwards.

If you would ever like anything reviewing, want some help or just wanna chat them send PM my way and I'll bemore than happy to help. :)
    Heather

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Kaci, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Take the pressure off yourself. "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on" [Omar Khayyam, 11th century]. Well, old Omar apparently never believed in revisions. What you write in your first draft, or any subsequent drafts for that matter, need not be perfect. The only draft that matters is the one you decide is ready to submit. So at the risk of sounding 1960's retro, Write On!

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

Hi, Kaci! Welcome to WF, and I hope that we can help you with your phobia. If you need anything, or if you just want to talk, just pm me!

[T A S H]

8. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

Hello, Kaci. I think Cogito's advice is very good, as I sometimes have the same problem as you, and I just have to let go of my fears and let my thoughts and ideas flow for a draft. That seems to be the only thing that works for me.

Welcome to the forums!

9. Plushii

Plushii New Member

Whoa! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the all the advice. :love: I'll definitely check out reviewing stories, and starting out small. I think my main fear is not being original, and people judging my personality from what I've written.

Again, thank you everyone for the advice and welcome. :3

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

lol - Love the intro - Welcome

11. Tweeti6095

Tweeti6095 New Member

Hello Kaci. Hope you challenge your fear of writing. Don't let the fear stop you. I am new here also. The members here are truly nice and helpful. So go for it.

12. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums :)

13. lindsaylooh

lindsaylooh New Member

hello! good intro, you seem to have gotten our attention! i deal with anxeity but have never even thought about anxiety related to writing. its crazy what this writing stuff does to us :)

Lindsay
    www.narratedbylindsay.blogspot.com

14. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Hey, Kaci, welcome to WF!

Don't worry, everyone starts out that way. I've found that if you have a couple scenes planned out ahead of time, its easier to write it. Also, try to force yourself to write; if not a story, maybe a journal or something like that.

15. Plushii

Plushii New Member

Kratos: Ooh I spy another Tales of Symphonia fan! :love: Great game that was. And thanks for the advice, I shall try that. :3

Lindsay: Yeah, anxiety's not fun to deal with. It's kind of upsetting that I get so much anxiety from something I used to love doing. o_O; But I will get through this! I'm determined to!

Everyone else: Thank you again for the nice welcome. :love:33