Tags:
  1. Elyos

Elyos New Member

Hesitation and Motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Elyos, Jul 23, 2008.

I don't know if all of us have been where I am right now. I've tried to write different stories with different characters over a span of years, and I'm fearing the worst: I'll never stick with one idea, I'll always keep changing, and I may never see a story to its very end.

I've got a couple of protagonist/situation ideas, but I don't know which ones to focus on, because they're so complex, yet so interesting to me.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

2. inkslinger

inkslinger Contributing Member

This happens to me ALL of the time. I would even go as far as to say that it's one of the main factors why I haven't finished any full novels in the past few years. I have already completed two, though both are bad and were written during a time I was actually interested in the topics covered (no longer am, and so I see no point in revisitng the two novels to rewrite them, rework them, edit them, etc.). But, currently, with the stories I am trying to get down on paper/computer screen, I just can't. I'll come up with the first chapter and then it's like I lose my will to continue.

That, or I'll suddenly become inspired by something completely different. It tempts me to drop that story I just started like a hot potato and go on with this "new" idea that popped into my head. I really hate it, because I know it's best and most deserving to a storyline, if you stick to ONE novel at a time. I think my problem is, I lose confidence and convince myself everything I intended to do and write, won't be worth it. Yes, yes, I know, bad.... but it's how my mind works.

I have decided to completely devote myself to the story I began last week, and I have promised not to stray with several other novel ideas. I am going to finish this one I've started. Aha, let's see how long my determination overpowers my lack of confidence.

...I'm giving it 3 days. lol, okay, kidding, maybe a little longer than that. :p

3. Plucko

Plucko New Member

I've had exactly the same problem in the past and I still do. A few days ago I re-read a part of the novel I was writing about half a year ago and I actually liked it and thought it was pretty good. So in the past few days I've been writing and rewriting it and I almost finished writing my first chapter. I already have plans for the next chapter so it's going pretty well and hopefully I will stick to writing this story! I always have new ideas for new stories and I hate it when I've just spent 4 days writing something and I lose all motivation. :(

I read it is very difficult for many writers to stick to one novel at a time, but I guess you just have to force yourself to continue writing anyway, because it will all be worth it in the end (that's what I keep telling myself, anyway). :rolleyes:

4. Cheeno

Cheeno Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. If you've set out to write a novel, with all the work entailed, how can it so easily be set aside simply because another idea has come to mind? From my experience, a novel, once started, must be adhered to until the first draft has been completed, at least. Developing the theme is what keeps me focused and attached, especially since, in my case, the personal value of the central theme or concept is what led to me beginning the work in the first place. For me, the project needs to be completed, even if the initial concept changes radically along the way. Writing is organic; it evolves. Like I said, maybe it's just me.

5. Shizai Ko

Shizai Ko New Member

Sometimes, stories will evolve with me also and even split into two stories. Sometimes one will die or the other will adopt concepts from a previously unfinished work or resignating, forsaken ideas.

6. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? Member

I am a victim to this. I love movies and each film I see inspires something different out of me. I utterly hate this curse, I call it TITSTI's
    The Inabiltiy To Stick To Ideas

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

This happens to me as well. I have a couple discarded novels I started and stopped about Chapter 3.

The one I'm working on now I have actually made it to Chapter 5 but have hit a wall.

When new ideas started to crop up I immediately wanted to sit down and start a few chapters on each of them, but instead I made myself jot them down on a Word document titled "Future Ideas" and then focused on figuring out why I couldn't move on with the current work.

I am beginning to think that I just find my story idea for the middle of the novel flat and boring. I had the beginning which was intriguing figured out and I knew the end would be exciting, but the middle was a mystery and frankly everything I tried to move it along was terrible.

Next goal -- I'm going to try to write a rough draft of the end and after that I'll figure out how to get the characters through the middle and still keep them interested. Maybe actually writing the end will inspire me for the middle.

8. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody Senior Member

I have SOOOOOO many story projects going on at the moment, my head spins just thinking about it. Not only do I have a novel on the back burner, but a bit of a short autobio and other short stories because I am working on a few of which I will be getting paid for :)

Just need to make sure I keep a list of all of them so I can go back and pick them up once again and *FINISH*

9. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

Just like Crimson I'm currently working on several stories at once. Confusing at times, but what to do when inspiration strikes? I just hope I'll be able to finish them all at some point or another...