1. Catch-22

Catch-22 New Member

Trivial Formalities...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Catch-22, Jul 7, 2010.

From a great deal of personal experience, forum introductions never seem to go well. They are seldom responded to by anybody with the exception of the obligatory automated response that all administrators must present new members with thag will generally follow the format as follows:

"Greetings *insert name of new member here* welcome to *insert name of obscure online message board here* please be sure to read our rules and guidelines and have a wonderful time at *re-insert name of obscure online message board here."

And so on into infinity.

Essentially that's how they turn out.

However, common manners dictate that one should at least introduce themselves to a stranger before barging in and spouting off so you can at least have a general idea of who or what Catch-22 is.

I'm 16 year-old highschool student with an overactive imagination and too much free time on his hands.

I've never really expressed much interest in writing until a few months ago when a friend of mine suggested i try my hand at it.

Writing plays is when I'm most in my element, I've a few literary festivals and such with my school for this particular skill.

I hate writing plays because I feel entirely limited to writing only dialogue. I feel that can't depict an atmosphere as accurately as a well-written novel.

Mercutio, Benvolio, Macbeth, Othello, and Lago are my favorite characters in literature or plays.

The Count of Monte Cristo, Fahrenheit 451, and 1984 are my favorite books.

I like playing old video games.

I'm easily amused.

I like mythology.

I hated the divine comedy but loved paradise lost.

Pulp detective novels from the 1950's interest me to a degree.

I love cyberpunk and dystopian fiction.

I consume excessive amounts of water a day and my bladder pays for it.

I have no ambition.

I'm sometimes a superficial reader but I'm trying to break that habit.

My prose is frightful and not in a good way.

I'm not particularly sure why I joined this site but hopefully exposure to better and more seasoned veteran writers will have a good influence on me.

I know you probably got bored reading this.

Totally irrelevant but I detest M Night Shymalan films.

Well, that's all there really is to know about me in the context of literature, film, and other things that don't quite fit.

I'm more of a lurker type of guy at times, but I look forward to posting with you all in the future if time permits such.

2. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

You don't like M Night Shymalan?!
    Shame on you.
    I don't know if I want to welcome you anymore...

QUEUE COGITO:

3. Catch-22

Catch-22 New Member

His most recent film, The Last Airbender is more than enough reason for me to despise him as a director and as a person.

Besides its visual effects, you can't honestly say you enjoyed it.

Can you?

4. OvershadowedGuy

OvershadowedGuy New Member

haven't seen the movie, but I still have to disagree. Shammy is a great and under-appreciated filmmaker. You can't hate because he made an effects driven movie.

5. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Haven't seen it yet. But I liked The Sixth Sense & The Village.

6. Catch-22

Catch-22 New Member

I disliked the village and the happenings was just as terrible.

Signs wasn't my cup of tea.

The sixth sense was the only film of his I've watched and found enjoyable

He's like Tim Burton to me. People rave about him and I want to like him, but I just can't bring myself to take the plunge. But to his credit, Shymalan's fillms at least possess originality which is more than I can say for Burton.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Catch-22, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Here is your "automated response", except tat it really isn't. Yes, there is a template of "things you need to know about the site" because, well, you do need to know. Not everything here is done the same way as on other writing sites, particularly in terms of sharing your writing.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

8. Addison

Addison New Member

Occasionally Illinois; at other times, Norway.
    Hello, hello.

Burton is the sort of director who comes up with a gimmick or a set piece which is actually rather diverting, but can't construct a frame around it. Inevitably, all of his films have a beginning, half a middle, and a slovenly kind of ending to make up for the sudden gap.

What makes it worse it that he usually comes up with the same gimmick every blessed time. Only Sleepy Hollow satisfied me all the way through, and that was mostly for the cast. Once Michael Gambon got the chop, I just wanted it to end.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I liked Unbreakable, personally.

As for Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite of his.

Welcome, Catch-22.

10. Catch-22

Catch-22 New Member

Fair enough, Cogito.

Now that you mention it Addison, I do kind of take notice to this in some of his films. It seems to work for him though. I've never seen sleepy hollow, I may have to take some time out of my day to catch a stream of it or something.

Eh, Unbreakable was an alright film steer. Thank you for the welcome.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

12. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Welcome to WF :)