1. El_Scubadiver

El_Scubadiver New Member

[insert Hilarious Comment Here]

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by El_Scubadiver, Aug 25, 2007.

Hey all,

My name's Martin Cororan - a UK-based writer.

I've just self-published a South-American thriller called 'The Melting Pot,' about a group of people who become trapped in a vicious circle of their own making.

It's getting good reviews on amazon, but it's a hard slog marketing it without the backing of a publishing company! I've joined this forum to share some ideas.

Good luck to you all.

Martin

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the Writing forums, Scuba. I'm anthraxx and am happy to learn that you are ready to write. I hope we can hear your opinions on self-publishing and your book.

Here's a basic welcome from all of us. It shoudl be obvious, but incase it isn't, let me explain. The Writing Problems Area is exclusively where opinions on different ways to write, blockages in writing styles and similar problems can be discussed. In the Review Rom, you can get critical appreciation and/or analysis of your written material. Behold, you must first review two pieces of writing before postign your own. This is ensure the pieces are evaluated to the most. Other than this, we have Writing Cotnests, weekly and monthly, where you can submit your writing. We also have Word games, Book Discussion and so on, classified under Community interaction. It may interest you if you're just hanging around.

adamant has been kind enoguh to put many of the things I have mentioned or missed out on in one comprehensive place. If you want to check it out, see the Newbie Packets:
    Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums

Enjoy it here, and don't feel shy to ask for help. We are all here to teach and learn in a mutual environment. And we hope you can do the same.

Regards and Best Wishes!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Martin, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums Martin. I hope that you enjoy our rather crazy company, and that we can help you with your writing. If you need any help with anything around the forums please feel free to ask. I'm always happy to lend a hand.

5. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

Hello Martin, my name is Rachel. Welcome to the writing forums! Hope to read some of your writing and hear more about your book. :)

6. ForsytheTragedy

ForsytheTragedy New Member

Hey there!

Hey Martin! I'm as new as you here, but I'm extending my welcome just like everyone else. Hope you enjoy the forums, and I can't wait to hear more about your writing. Also, I may be interested in learning about self-publishing, and the benefits it may or may not have over going through a publishing company.

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hey Martin great to have you hear aye.
    You should check out the contests in the weekly challenges. I run them so ya need any help let me know.
    Well I hope you have a great time here and I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Tor

8. Budhabee

Budhabee New Member

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. Can't wait to read one of your stories. This is a fun forum.

9. shadow tiger x

shadow tiger x New Member

The Australian funny farm. More than 5 minutes fro
    Welcome to wf hope you enjoy your stay here with us all great to meet you and will see you around the place

shadow tiger x

10. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Once again absent for the wknd and voilĂ  an influx of new talented members - I hope all is to your liking. If you have any questions, let us have them, and we'll see what we can do, and congrats on the amazon reviews, no mean feat - I'll have to check it / you out - for now, see you around the site!

11. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

As promised I checked your book out on Amazon and I thought in for a penny so you'll have just received a purchase order from me through amazon, ''purchase direct from author''. Kind regards.

12. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

happy belated welcome

13. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hey there! A belated welcome but here it goes anyways...

Welcome to the forums! Hope you settle in ok and that you find what you're looking for here, if you have any questions or anything just PM me and i'd be happy to help. Look forward to seeing you around.