1. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

Hey Guys!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheMarine, Jun 9, 2010.

What's up!

I'm currently writing a book covering the molecular structure of a cell and how cancer interacts/differientiates among different cell types! I'm also editing a book for a friend that is an autobiography of his life from being a wrestler to becoming a new-born Christian.

Hopefully I can help you guys out and you all can do the same for me!

Thanks. :)

2. SprinkleSutton

SprinkleSutton New Member

Welcome! I am a newbie, too. I have found loads of support and friendliness so far, and I wish the same for you! Good luck with you cellular book. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Marine, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

A book on oncological cytobiochemistry? Could be interesting. Good luck with it.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. SprinkleSutton

SprinkleSutton New Member

He's chock full of info, and very handy to have around! :)

5. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello there and welcome :)

6. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

Wow! That's sounds intense :eek: Where did you get the idea for that?

Welcome to the forums!

7. rainy

rainy New Member

That intrigues me.

I have a bit of writing and healthcare background; I could possibly help out.

What audience are you targeting? And, may I ask, what are your credentials for writing it? Merely curiousity.

Best luck,

//R

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

9. basefare

basefare New Member

Welcome, Marine.

I almost said Gyrene but that might be out of use by now.
    Your project sounds impressive.

10. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

I'm not necessarily targeting any certain audience for the book on cancer, merely the science field and/or persons that need information or data pertaining to oncology. And, to be honest, I'm still in high school (hopefully that doesn't worry too many people about my credentials :redface:). I've taken almost all of the science classes in my school, honors and AP, I have several hours of lab experience (40+ hours (which doesn't sound like A LOT...but...)), and I have a bit of reading and research under my belt. Not much too brag about, but I'm trying my best to make the best use I can with it! :p

Thanks to everyone else for your curiousity and salutations. :)

P.S. I actually have a rough draft/preliminary copy of the book printed that displays the multiple molecules/chemicals within the cell in its different structures. Maybe I can post a picture of it later? :redface:

11. rainy

rainy New Member

Your proof will be in the end results. It seems you are aiming down the right path, so at some point, you may just have enough credentials to interest the important people.

Are you making any sort of proposal in this? Such as, contradicting a theory, or trying to establish a new one? Or is it more like rehashing information? Either way is a lot of guts and work, so I'm definitely not talking down to you. Actually, I'm really quite curious.

Someone like Cog will have to answer the question about what you can post pertaining to images from your book. I'm a peon around here ;)

//R

12. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

It is a sort of new theory while rehashing information to back the theory up. Does that make sense? :p

I'm kind of going backwards, I'm looking at the cellular structure and its specific molecules (the actual elements within each molecule) and trying to figure out what other type of molecule could move through while reconfiguring (curing) the mutated cell. :)

13. rainy

rainy New Member

Cool. I imagine the focus would be on nucleic acid and probably proteins? It would be interesting to see how your hypothetical reconfigurations would cause a larger impact to the operation of the organelles contained with the cell. Such as controlling the golgi, etc.

Intriguing.

//R

14. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

Yeah, I'm going to be looking at how everything is involved in the cell, from the phospholipid bilayer, mitochondria, golgi, etc, etc, to the specific nucleic acids. And yes, I'll definitely be looking at how potential molecules would be affecting the cell's organization, along with how the potential molecule reacts and moves within the cell (reconfigures the mutation, etc). :)

I've got it started, but there is definitely much more work!

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The wild card seems to be determining what chemicals are sensitive to single high energy reactants, primarily free radicals passing through the cell membrane or being formed in the cell by ionizing radiation. Somehow those semsitive reactions seem to be what initiates the change from normal cell metabolism to the runaway growth and division that characteizes cancer.

Do you have a handle on that? I don't know what research there is out there on that end of the process, but it seems to me that understanding that would be the key.

I'm not a biochemist, My background is primarily in organic chemistry and electrochemistry, so I'd be stumbling in the dark.

Still, although I am interested in the direction you'll be taking, I suppose it's probably not all that appropriate for this thread, or even this site.

16. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

Yeah, I understand that pretty well. My primary interest is finding exactly what radicals are most probable in causing such mutations and then giving probable reconfigurations that would cancel the mutations. By the way, if that comes across cocky, don't let it, because I know it isn't as simple as it sounds (Just saying this because I know text in forums can come across different than wanted). :p