1. brotherbrutus

brotherbrutus New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brotherbrutus, Sep 15, 2007.

Hi,

I'm brotherbrutus, new to the forums (something you definitely weren't expecting to see in this post, I'm sure). I love writing (again, I am just full of these incredibly refreshing ideas). I'm a senior in high school and have been writing since a fairly early age, although I wasn't really serious about it until a couple years ago. I mean, I was serious about it in the, I take myself and everything I do seriously because I'm a young teenager kind of seriously, but not the kind of seriously that a person serious about being serious about a serious business is serious about. I'd really like to turn writing into a career, and figured that even though my life is pretty full of everything other than writing, I still have to make room for it, so I'm moving in.

I have been one of the 97% who start and fail to finish a novel about three or four times, but am currently in the middle of one slated to be finished. I'm taking a break from it though, because I feel there's still a lot I need to learn about writing and about my own style before I'm ready to get myself published. I've been writing short stories, which I enjoy more because you don't get stuck with the same characters and ideas for months and months on end.

Well, that's that, and I can now say that I am officially introduced to anybody who takes the time to read what I'm sure must be countless identical "hello" kinds of dealies.

Cheers and heres to seeing you around the forums, BB

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hello
    This was actually pretty good for a hello. It wasn't really short, most are just a single paragraph. It wasn't super long either.
    It had some humour, but didn't sound insane. And you told us just enough details about yourself to interest people without telling us everything right down to your blood type.
    Overall very nice, and just different enough to be interesting without going into the bizarre.
    Congratulations.
    And hello again.

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

(Domo, he asked for a welcome, not a critique...)

Welcome! I hope you like it here. Everyone has their style, and you have your own. As long as it is understandable, we'd love you to share it with us. Even if it's not understandable, we can try ;) And your style is...understood as understandable. So, don't hesitate to ask questions if any and take care.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hey I was just trying to say it wasn't one of "countless identical "hello" kinds of dealies".

Sorry I'm kind of one of the people they warn you about on this board.

Cheers.

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I know, Domoviye, I was being sarcastic. Or whatever.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm the other one they warn you about :)

Welcome to the foums. I hope you enjoy it here. If you have any questions, or need anything, please feel free to ask. I'm always happy to help.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hey there, welcome to the site. I am Heather and can always been found around here somewhere. If you ever need anything reviewing, need a little help or just want a chat then send a PM my way and I’ll be more then happy to help.
    Heather

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello brotherbrutus, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Don't you mean both of us :p lol

Banzai is the forum Nutter that is for certain. Be warned this place can and will send you insane that is definate., There is no avoiding it you must just simply give in and join us in our nuttyness....mwahahahahahaaha you are all doomed now!!!!!

hello and welcome by the way. Check out the contests in the weekly writing group, you won't be disappointed.

Tor

10. brotherbrutus

brotherbrutus New Member

Thank you. I'll need to start keeping a list or I won't be able to keep track of all the people I should be warned about.

For a critique that was very light on the critical, so as long as we keep it strictly positive, I don't mind being judged in the slightest :D.

I'll look forward to getting to know all of you better, as soon as I get over wondering whether I'm actually supposed to be frightened.

Cheers, BB