1. Gazcav

Gazcav New Member

Hey wanted to ask advice

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gazcav, Feb 16, 2011.

HI!
    i am makeing a story about a vampire.But its not like twilight its proper bad ass
    vampires like in daybreakers.I wanted to ask how i can move the novel on well with my ideas but not so fast that it shoots from one subject to the other.

:cool:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

*moved to general writing*

3. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Pacing a novel can be very difficult. It is very tempting to jump from one action scene to the next, because that's the fun stuff to write. Those are the scenes that popped into your head and made you want to write the book in the first place. But, as a writer, you will find that there is a lot of really rewarding stuff to find in between those action scenes. Think about it like a football (American) game, we enjoy the 90 yard drives almost as much as the touchdowns, right? There is a lot going on with your characters between the action stuff, slow down and let them show you what they are doing. I think you'll like it.

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Write it anyway, without worrying about that. It's something to sort out in editing.

5. Gazcav

Gazcav New Member

Thankyou that really made sense

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

I write mostly stories that are heavily action-based, and what I now often like to do is to change the pace of the story to mirror the pace of the action. When guns are blazing and people are running, my style of writing reflects that (or so the critics say :p ). Once the guns are silent, I will have the characters creeping slowly, or resting, and then they become acute observers of their surroundings, with a lot of detail and background in the story. The characters may start daydreaming, remembering something from the past or musing on their current predicament. I've found it works quite well.

7. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Vampire stories are popular right now, which is good and bad. Just make sure you have an original idea that adds something to the genre.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Make sure that at any given point in your novel, there's something going on, whether it's a scary scene or a sexual tension scene or people piecing together a mystery. I hate bland filler space about people getting ready for work, etc.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no formula to follow... just read good books by good writers and see how they do it...