1. Jimdandy1988

Jimdandy1988 New Member

Hello, WF

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jimdandy1988, May 26, 2015.

My name is Joseph. I just finished undergrads in history and creative writing, so I thought I'd try out this board over the summer and see if I can contribute. I look forward to work shopping y'all's stories as well as trying my hand at short fiction.

For what it's worth: Light in August is my favorite novel. And Lorrie Moore, Alice Munroe, Jumpa Lahiri are some of my favorite short story authors. Authors I tend to want to channel in my own attempts at short fiction are Stephen King and Bret Easton Ellis.

Cheers,
    JC

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Joseph, and welcome to the forum! :)

Oh, I like King and Ellis :). Feel free to check out our short story contests; might be fun practice for you. :)

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. Have fun, explore, and participate!

-Kat

3. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

Hi Joseph. Are there any links between your two courses in that you are now writing historic novels?

4. Jimdandy1988

Jimdandy1988 New Member

Hey ladybird. My post sounds confusing. One of my degrees was history and the other was English/creative writing. The only course I had that was similar to historic novels was historiography. If you'd like some book recommendations on different methods in writing historic novels...

http://fredgibbs.net/courses/historiography/

^I don't/haven't written a history book yet but that syllabus (reading list at the bottom) gave me a good understanding of how to if I ever do write that.

5. Jimdandy1988

Jimdandy1988 New Member

Thanks, will do

6. Jimdandy1988

Jimdandy1988 New Member

Ha, just re read this. I initially read it as links to courses I've taken on historic novels. My bad. But no, I don't write historic novels.

PiP likes this.