1. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Hi all! I'm new, so here's my intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wildthing, May 14, 2009.

Hey everyone

My name is Rob and I love to write. I am trying to get myself off the ground, but I have'nt published anything yet. I am also in the process of getting my teaching credential to teach high school English. My favorite genre is horror, but I also like sci-fi and fantasy. I try to read as much as I can, but don't do nearly as much as I would like to. I love horror movies and horror stories and books. Hope this wasn't too boring of an intro. I am excited to be in this forum and I hope to learn alot, and most importantly have fun doing so.

2. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Hey Rob. I'm TheHedgehog, but Hedge will do. No, your introduction was fine. :-D I've always been intimidated by Horror, have never really had the knack for writing it. Can't wait to read some of your pieces. Are there any particular influences in your writing, or any hobbies other than reading and writing? Welcome, anyways. :-D

3. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Hi Hedge. Thanks for the welcome. I just love all things horror, lol. I think reading people like King and Koontz, and watching horror films, really gave me the push to enter that genre. I would love to show some pieces, I hope that they will be good to you all, hehe. Anyway, I love working with animals, working with children (I tutor people in English), and hanging with my girlfriend. Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.

4. TheHedgehog

I've tried to integrate Horror into some of my short stories but the cold hard truth is that I've never been able to really delve into Horror. Maybe it's too intense, but if anything, Thriller's the closest I've ever come.

5. wildthing

wildthing New Member

I think, like any genre, horror has its difficulties, when it comes to writing stories. I am not saying I am an expert at all, I know I am not. I know that no matter what someone writes about, there is always something that will stump them, you know? Does that make any sense lol? Are you a fan of horror?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Rob, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. wildthing

wildthing New Member

I hope I didn't say anything offensive

8. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Thanks Cogito for the welcome

9. TheHedgehog

No, I've just never been able to really properly translate the scene onto the page. As far as Horror goes, I've never been a fan of it, simply for the gore or the disturbing plots. Manipulation of the mind can be genius, but the fact is I've never really been a fan of it of the scenes and what-not.

10. wildthing

wildthing New Member

That's understandable. Horror seems to be an acquired taste you know? Many people I ask say they don't like horror for the same reasons you speak of. I think that horror allows people to be scared without having to actually deal with the true fear in life. Thanks for not getting offended by my comments hehe.

11. TheHedgehog

I was not offended at all. o_O I'm not one to jump at gore of any sort. I've always gravitated more to mystery, satire, dystopias, realistic fiction, etc.

12. wildthing

wildthing New Member

It all depends on my mood you know? I have to want to see it you know? If you had to pick a horror book or movie, what would it be?

13. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome :)

14. TheHedgehog

Huh. I've never really even seen many horror movies. (High School Musical doesn't count, correct?) I watched a bit of a Saw movie once =/ That's about it. Never read any horror novels. Did read Edgar Allen Poe's Pit and the Pendulum and read I Know What You Did Last Summer. But that's pretty much it. Not so much the literary form, but the cinematic form is something I've never been fond of. It's just not my preference. I'd rater watch something else if were possible when presented with a choice of a Horror movie vs. something like an Action movie or whatever.

15. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Thanks Dalouise for the welcome

16. wildthing

wildthing New Member

I don't know, High School Musical is pretty terrifying haha. Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite writers, in terms of old writers, because he never has to say what is going on, rather he lets the reader think and paint their own picture. Sorry if my question about favorite movie was vague. I know its hard to compare film to literature when they are two very different forms of media. I do like other authors though, such as Hemingway and Melville, but I am just drawn to the horror/sci-fi genre, because for me, its the most interesting and enjoyable to read.

17. bumboclaatjones

bumboclaatjones New Member

I was last scared by a movie at the age of 7. It was Boris Karloff's "The Mummy". Pet Sematary, however, scared the piss outta me when I was in college. I finished reading that sucker at 3 in the morning, and then huddled next to my girlfriend for the rest of the night, scared ****less. Horror novels, when done well, are simply the best, although, to tell the truth, I think Pet Sematary is the only book that's ever had that effect on me .

18. wildthing

wildthing New Member

I definetly agree with you about Pet Semetary. My girlfriend and I watched it and we jumped at almost everything haha. I agree with you about the book statement too, if it is really well written, and does what horror should do, then its a great book. I just love writing in this genre because it allows alot of freedom, in my opinion, to scare people. What about you?

19. TheHedgehog

Haha. I just read The Hidden, which isn't really horror, but it was about the resurrection of demons. So I was reading it at 11 on a school night and I put it down for the night and then realized it was dark, thoughts were inside my head reeling, and absolutely no one was awake. I just sort of sat straighter and was thinking, Oh, God. Now what? Reading something terrifying in the middle of the night helps to heighten the mood, I think. But I definitely didn't sleep too good that night.

20. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Well then the book did its job if you think about it. The author wanted to scare you and they did. I love watching a scary movie or reading a scary book or story at night, because it makes it even more terrifying. Do you remember the Scary Stories series?

21. TheHedgehog

Not at all... :p

22. wildthing

wildthing New Member

It was a collection I read in elementary school, and at the time was the scariest thing ever. If you get a chance, check them out, they are quite amusing to read.