1. C. B. Carter

C. B. Carter New Member

Happy New Year: My introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by C. B. Carter, Jan 2, 2011.

Hi Everyone,

Just stopping by to introduce myself and my body of work. I’ve been an author since 2004 and have several books…Two commercial length novels - Chaos Theorem and Project Northwest and several books that fall under the genre of "Collection of Short Stories". I just published (December 2010) one of my favorite books, The Whippoorwill’s Song. It’s getting some great reviews on Kindle and is slated for inclusion in the American Library Association Annual in New Orleans on June 24th. I will post the review later in this post.

Having written several books and just now starting to gain some ground, I’d be glad to answer any questions new authors may have.

In addition, if approved by the board administrators, I'd like to post my dark fable, "The Path to KnowWhere", in it's entirety. The reason I'd post it is because the subject matter is important and (I think) it could help parents and teenagers open a discussion about drug use and abuse.

A review of The Whippoorwill’s Song:

The Whippoorwill’s Song—A Collection of Short Stories, by C.B. Carter, has something for everyone, from romantic stories of undying love to more sinister, dark fables sure to produce goose bumps on even the most stalwart reader. Though each story is thematically unique and can certainly be read independently of the rest, Carter’s classical style and thrilling adventures are the unifying thread. Carter’s emphasis is on the journey, and the unifying message is “do not get caught in life’s intricate “speed-web;” instead, soak in the process and live each moment to the fullest.”

Carter’s strength as an author is apparent as he delicately and precisely inserts vital details and vivid imagery that awaken the senses, causing the reader to be a part the journey, not merely a spectator. Like 3-D films, The Whippoorwill’s Song draws the reader right into the action.

The book is comprised of three short stories: “The Whippoorwill’s Song,” “Happiness Is,” “The Path to Know Where,” and “A teaser of the upcoming Caritas.”

On many levels, The Whippoorwill’s Song exhibits a poetic element that captivates the reader at every turn. From the beginning, the vivid imagery penetrates the human core of emotion with such passages as, “Life, I would say, is an orchestra absent its conductor; where gypsy notes and chords bellow out without concern of melody and form, but every once in a while, you will hear the song of the whippoorwill and in the moment of anticipated silence - as the last note trails off -, all becomes beautiful and fresh. The once impoverished bohemians become prosperous and reverberate, ‘O, we are the wealthy here’. After all, we’re all vibrato notes, the fugue of human symphonic poem; our chants intoxicate the night’s air and echoes to those who are silent enough to listen.”

The main character of the story, Armand Vigée-Lebaidsi, is a poet taking a romantic journey from sixteenth-century Madrid, Spain to Charleston, South Carolina. The book is all about romance for Armand, who, at the age of twenty-eight, becomes a vampire as a result of events involving his father. The story is broken into five stanzas: “The Trade,” “Blood Line,” “Alteration,” “Time,” and “And then…Linger.” The imagery of the sun gives this tale a very surreal, dream-like quality. Reminiscent of the Romantic era of literature, it’s bold and genuine, painting the story against the backdrop of eternal love—a theme prevalent throughout the story.

“The Path to Know Where,” depicts the grim and devastating effects of drug addiction. Inspired by a conversation with a former “meth” addict, Carter creates the character of James, who inadvertently runs into Cush, a drug dealer, and whose name is synonymous with marijuana. The take home message from this story is that there are a multitude of ways to get caught up in this risky business, and once you’re in, and whether you like it or not, it’s extremely difficult to escape—as evidenced by the statement, “Darkness devoured any and all light and James was completely blind.”

Ultimately, The Whippoorwill’s Song—A Collection of Short Stories is expertly crafted by C.B. Carter. Author of novels such as “Chaos Theorem” and “Project Northwest,” Carter holds true to a writing style that does justice to the classical thematic elements of love and darkness. Joining the ranks of books that can truly be called beautiful and harmonious, The Whippoorwill’s Song is a must read for romantics and adventurers who enjoy being lifted out of the mundane into the heart of a story that truly captivates.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)
    Congrats on being a published author.

3. WoodenPaw

WoodenPaw Member

Wow....I would love to read the story of that Vampire.

4. C. B. Carter

C. B. Carter New Member

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

welcome to the club, cbc!

who did you publish with?... are you happy with them, or do you have any warnings to pass on?

love and hugs, maia

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Congrats on being published! :) Welcome to the WF!

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello CB, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!