1. kingarthur

kingarthur New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kingarthur, Jun 5, 2010.

My name is David Baverstock and I have just embarked upon writing my first fiction novel. The novel itself is based on an old soldiers hidden war that only come to light when an old photograph of himself a five friends turned up.
    All those still living had been told he drove a London bus throughout World War two, in fact that is so far from the truth. The story takes you from North Africa, Sicily and Italy ending with the ill fated Battle of Arnhem in 1944.

The story is semi fictional as my grandfather was with the Parachute regiment and was at all these places and the photograph that forms the back drop of the story is actually a picture of him and five friends taken in North Africa in 1942.

The book is call 'In the company of friends' and I would hope to have the basic manuscript ready by summer 2011. However, some research is still inconclusive so may take a little longer.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction.

Regards

David

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hi David and welcome :)

I've seen you around WW2 Talk (I'm 629_SQN on there). Your story sounds very interesting; mine is about a special duties Lancaster squadron's "ops" as told by a young New Zealand bomb aimer (based on my great uncle Frank - a Lancaster bomb aimer during '44-'45 with 635 Sqn, PFF).

3. kingarthur

kingarthur New Member

Nice to meet you Shinn ans thanks for the welcome.

I joined the WWII several weeks ago and have found the guys brilliant when it come to research and have made some very good friends. I shall look for ward to seeing your book on the shelf too.

Regards

Dave

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hey David! Welcome to the WF. :D

5. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Your novel sounds good! :) I want to read it already.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello David, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Good example of picking up inspiration from a simple item like a photograph and building an entire story around it.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. kingarthur

kingarthur New Member

Thank you for the kind welcome guys, this is my first attempt at anything like this and I am sure its riddled with school boy errors. However, I will persevere because the story is a corker that will be followed by a sequel that is also based on true events.

Regards

David