1. cazincrete

cazincrete New Member

Feeling a litle out of my depth.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cazincrete, Apr 14, 2013.

Hello everyone been enjoying reading some of your work. some very tallented people out there. I am busy tapping away at my first book. I have never shared my creative work as I lack inconfidence and in my gramma skills being dyslexic. I have what I think is a great fictional story which I have been writing a while now. I would love some advice on editing how my finnish verse should be presented. how do I copywrite my work. how do I stop my self being at risk of my work being stolen. people keep telling me to get a ghost writer but doesn't that defeat the object? Who edits my book. How do I sell my book. I have the story where do I go from here? I would love to hear your feedback. thank you for any help you can offfer. :confused:

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Hi Cazincrete

Write the story, worry about the rest when it's complete - stick around and you'll learn a lot

ps it doesn't look like you let your dyslexia hold you back - your opening spelling is far better than a lot here (mine included) :)

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Welcome, cazincrete!

To answer a couple of your questions, you own the copyright already. You own it as soon as you've written it in some sort of tangible form, whether that's on a computer, typewriter, or pen and paper. You can register the copyright with the copyright office, but that's usually not necessary for an early draft of a work, and usually people don't do it until they are on the verge of publishing.

I don't understand why people suggest a ghost writer. That makes no sense to me, as I agree with you that it defeats the purpose for anyone who wants to write.

Really, you have to edit your book as much as you can. If you're going the traditional publishing route, agents and publishers have editors who will work with you, but you really have to have the book edited as much as possible in order to even get to that point. There are editors you can pay, but generally it's not worth the money, as it can be quite expensive.

If you want to have a book published, you have to share the story with someone. Are there some in person writer's groups in your area? They are great for getting some critiques and getting critique practice. You can also eventually post some excerpts here and ask questions.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, cazincrete!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter! We also have a growing short story club (think book club, but with short stories!), which you can find stickied in the Book Discussion forum.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

5. Michael O

Michael O Member

Hello!

So you're dyslexic? Well La-De-Da! I'm Irish and allergic to alcohol. I think I have you beat! :)

Copyright is ~$150. If you mail the cash to me....I'll take care of it for you.

Or just google the CR Office and surf around. Plenty of help there.

Takes ~ 2 months.

You're right.....arse-load of thevin basturds out there. I had a woman tell me she loved my query and wanted the manuscript mailed. A little checking.....She had the same name as Marilyn Monroe's maid.

She pissed off the wrong Irishman. You know what what they say.......Friends will help you move........Good friends will help you move a body.

How do you sell? Easy! You don't! But a well written interesting story beats lotto ticket-odds. Yes Sir! Odds are down close to one in a million.

Like the movie Dumb and Dumber......I'm telling you ya gotta chance!

Don't mind me, I'm new here myself. Just pulled in on a time machine last month. Bit of a rough landing. Got a frigging concussion and can't figure out how to crank it past just a few minutes into the future. Lotta good that does me. Damn thing is costing me nap-time. Think I'll put it on eBay.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome on board.

Stick around and you will gain a lot of knowledge about this writing thing.

Get your story written and then start to look for the answers to the questions you're asking - by then you may have the answers.