1. Destin

Destin New Member

Hmmmm....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Destin, Feb 9, 2009.

Hi there, my name is Destin and I've been trying for ages to churn out some literature. Since I was just a youngun I've been an avid reader and writer, and I'm hoping to pick up some inspiration and hopefully motivation on this site!

I think posting my own work should not be among the very first things I do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to my writing as well. That is part of why you require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing my work in my member blog.

If I haven't explored the site yet, I should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if I poke in the corners. I will remember to check out your FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, I may wonder why you do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. You emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training my eye by reviewing other people's work helps me improve my own writing even before I present it for others to see. Therefore, you ask me to review other people's writing before posting work of my own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying my work (and on that note, I will only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). I'm going to have a look at this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while I'm looking around, I won't forget to check out your Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions of my intentions here!

:cool:Destin

2. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

LOL. Hilarious. You took the words right out of Cogito's mouth...literally. I'm guessing that's why he saw no need to reply? Hahaha.

Welcome to the forum! Smarty pants. :rolleyes: May I call you that? LOL!

3. Destin

Destin New Member

I was hoping for smartass but I suppose smarty pants will suffice. :) Of course I was too involved in my own wittiness to post anything of real merit, so I suppose I will do that.

I'm 22 years old, born and raised in Canada. Getting married in a couple months... I work in a gas plant with about 20 other men, all of whom would laugh me out of my control room if they ever read half of what I write! But god, when I don't write for a couple months tension just builds inside me and I become hard to live with... so here I am. My job is outrageously boring 90% of the time, we're like firefighters, we are here 'in case,' so I will doubtless spend alot of time trolling reading great literature which is just what I need.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Smartass is risky. But I'm very glad to see that you started out by taking a look around.

Wouldn't ANYONE who works in a gas plant be hard to live with? :)

Anyway, welcome to the site, and have fun!

5. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey Destin! Welcome to the WF!

That was hilarius! I've never meet a member who had done this before! :p

Cogito
    Jack...

Jack
    ...yes

Jack waits patiently for Cogito's response.

Cogito
    Please don't encourage other members to do this.

Jack
    I'm not, I just think its funny.

Cogito
    Indeed, I'd have to admit that it was a clever idea :)

Cogito walks away

Jack
    Nice to meet you Destin!

6. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Hahahaha. Well researched...now you've made it clear that you would never violate community rules...god forbid :p

Bienvenue!

7. Destin

Destin New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :D

8. Becky Johnson

Becky Johnson New Member

You are silly. Now you have to live up to following the rules, you know.
    Welcome!