Tags:
  1. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I'm pretty new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by inkslinger, Jul 11, 2008.

Hello, just joined the site about ten minutes ago. I don't usually start new member threads, because .... um, I usually don't like the limelight, lol. On top of that, I usually don't like feeling new. But I am here, soooo I'm for once choosing to bask in my newbocity.....

Anyway, how I found this place is kind of too simple. I was bored and decided to find me a new website geared toward an interest; I like writing, I like reading, so hey, why not a writer/readers forum? I literally typed in 'writers forum' into google, and this popped up, aha. Clicked on it and decided to join. It was about three minutes total. First minute thought process about new website, second minute search and join, and third minute account validation.

I love to write, though I've found myself too distracted in fanfiction. It's an addiction of mine. Stupid Harry Potter. But I also have a passion for original fiction, too. It's just a matter of whether or not I can stick to the original story. Typically, I write brooding fiction. I mean, my favorite books are pretty much the same. I usually enjoy novels like Slaughterhouse-Five, Brave New World, and I recently finished Fight Club, for the first time. That can go on the list as well.

Some side tidbits about me .... let's see .... I absolutely hate waking up early. Waking up early will honestly put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I like the cold and hate the heat. This means I don't like summer and don't particularly care for spring, but I really enjoy autumn and winter. I get along best with little kids. I cannot stand when an author tells a reader how to interpret his work. I usually use the small, made up words 'aha' or 'heh' a lot. Don't let it bother you. I 'lol' and 'wtf' here and there, too. I'm deathly afraid of spiders. And I want to be a pirate; I maintain the stance, also, that pirates are superior to both ninjas and cowboys and whatever else.

Okay, I'm more or less done. I can obviously ramble on and on. I talk too much. I'm shutting myself up now. I'm amazed I have gone this whole post without using a single smiley. Ah, what the hell, here goes one for good measure, a nice classic ---> :)

2. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Hi there, fellow newbie. I just joined a few minutes ago myself. I know what you mean. I never really know what to say in an introduction either. It's basically like trying to condense all of the most important things about you and your life down into a few sentences. Frankly, I suck at it. Lol.

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Ink Slinger, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. The Essential Writer

The Essential Writer New Member

Welcome! I loved the novel Fight Club, and I loved the movie just as well. Great book.

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Welcome. :)

7. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Thank you everyone for all of the welcomes. I will definitely look over the FAQ and those other thread links posted, so I don't make a total fool of myself in other parts of the boards. :)

I watched the movie first, aha. I've recently become an Edward Norton fan, and so I decided to give it a chance; I always thought it was some pointless movie with a ton of bloody fights and all of this "Grrr, I'm a man, hear me roar" testosterone stuff, lol. But no, it was really good. I was impressed. Then I went to Barnes & Nobles and picked up the book. The movie and the book were equally good, which is almost never the case.

Heh, I noticed we both joined almost at the same time, too. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that never knows how to really introduce myself. That's why I almost never make these threads. I just talk TOO much, lol. :redface:

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Hey, welcome to the site.

9. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

[​IMG]