1. imnotimpressed

imnotimpressed New Member

Hi! I need help with my paper..

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by imnotimpressed, Mar 26, 2013.

I'm doing a paper on trading and the stock market I would like to type out a story representing a day chart except the day chart isn't told by numbers, graphs, points, etc.. I want to tell it in a more romantic setting like the chart representing a battlefield.
    Like the "bulls" representing one side and the "bears" representing the other side.
    My paper needs to be non-fiction but creative, I want to write my paper sort of like James A. Michener. Would romanticizing such a technical subject be too confusing or do I need skillz like James to pull it off to keep it in the non-fiction genre?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hi! You need to check out the site rules:

Very limited.

3. Miranda Louise

Miranda Louise Member

my advice is to keep it simple. Don't try to go places or write something that you don't know about, as it will just bring you to a mind block. :) good luck on the assignment.

4. imnotimpressed

So limited that you are unable to answer my question? I never felt so restricted in my entire life or should I use to the word discriminated...
    But hey, not my rules.
    I'M NOT IMPRESSED!

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you required by your teacher/professor to make it creative? I ask because nonfiction is usually not written like this.

6. imnotimpressed

Yes my professor wants me to write a creative non-fiction, a short 4-6 page paper. It's an English class and the topic could be anything.

7. thirdwind

Based on what you've written, it's honestly hard to say if the idea would work or not (or if it would be too confusing or not). It largely depends on your writing skills. If you feel like this topic is too technical to write about, you could always choose another topic. That's pretty much all the advice I can give.

1 person likes this.
  8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

9. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

Isn't creative by definition incompatible with non-fiction?

Ditto that.

10. thirdwind

Not necessarily. There's a relatively new genre called creative nonfiction where creative elements are used in nonfiction pieces. I mostly see creative nonfiction pieces in magazines like The New Yorker. A lot of famous writers in the 20th century have also written essays that can be considered creative nonfiction (for example, Camus has several good essays detailing his travels).

11. imnotimpressed

Thank you for the responses, I'm going to try to look for more examples, defiantly came across a lot of roadblocks but I plan on completing my assignment with the specific topic.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Defiantly indeed.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

try 'definitely' to avoid being twitted...

14. Thornesque

Thornesque Contributing Member

Not at all. Writers of non-fiction have started using more creative elements when writing. This often occurs with things like thoughts, dreams and speculations. If it's clearly stated, at the beginning of the piece, that the following is a dream, can you really say that it's fiction? The events of which you're speaking did not occur outside of the writer's mind, but it was in fact a dream that they had. So how would you define that?

Similarly, when a writer explores an event in conjuction with the writing of thought and speculation that is loosely related but not directly tied to the events, it can be considered creative non-fiction.

When I get back from class today, I can give you a few more examples. However, off the top of my head, the only example I can bring to mind is No Name Woman by Maxine Hong Kingston. She writes the book based around a story that her mother actually told her and they are her genuine thoughts and speculations (within the first two chapters, that is) about that story and the reasons behind her mother telling it to her. Fascinating read, and a fine example of creative non-fiction.