1. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Hey there

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 1, 2008.

Well, it's been a while since I've had to make a 'first time' thread, so let's see if I remember how to do it. Someone on this site might now me, but I don't know if they do. :p My name is Oasis Writer, or Oasis for short (OW if that's too long too, lol). I've been writing since I was ten (2000). I've finished three books, each above 100,000 words, and am working on editing through one of them to make it 'better.' I've been writing poetry for several years as well, both just simple rhyming poems and lyrics for my band that is sort of on a hiatus right now. I love to critique works and am willing to critique for one as well, so if anyone is looking for one, feel free I suppose. :)

I'm a very high poster if I fall in love with the people, so most likely, expect a lot of activity from me. Merely because I'm the top poster on Writer's Beat, and am 'up there' on Writing Forums (the dot com one :rolleyes:).

So, it's nice to meet you guys. Hope to find a good writing home. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Oasis (OW is just too painful), Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Oasis Writer

I know the rules :) This is my fifth writing forum I've been too, and I've moderated two. :) Thank you for the kind welcome. I like what I see so far.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Oh wow, you're from Boise? I lived in Idaho Falls for a while, and now I go to school at U of I in Moscow. I never thought I'd see someone from Idaho on here.

5. Oasis Writer

Yeah, I'm a Boise boy :) I'll be going to BSU this fall. :p We'll have a school rivalry, I suppose, but I'm really not that bad. lol

6. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Well, your football team could certainly demolish ours. A lot of people from my graduating class went to Boise State, and they seem to like it there. I chose Moscow since I want to go into Journalism, and you can only get a masscomm degree at BSU.

I don't much care about school rivalries either. I went to the thrift store and got some Washington State University shirts since they were dirt cheap.

7. Oasis Writer

Yeah, I'm actually in my fifth year of Journalism myself. lol - I've been to every Vandal game since I was three. You guys have good years too......just not lately. :p No offense. lol - Yeah, I don't care for them. I have some Oregon stuff, BSU stuff, and I actually think I gathered up some Washington State stuff last summer. lol

8. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

You're doing high school journalism? Let's see, Centennial? I can't remember any other Boise schools. I went to the state competition for newspaper every year until I graduated. I was the Executive Editor of my high school newspaper, as well as the Opinion Editor and News Editor at different times. I really enjoyed that.

I don't really go for college sports. I'm all about Major League Baseball.

9. Oasis Writer

I've been the Editor-in-Chief for the Bulldog Bulletin for three years (in Nyssa, Oregon) and been Editor for one year in Boise. I was the photographer supervisor my first year, and I became a step-down from Editor my first year. I help distribute out 3,000 papers a month now for the past three years. This year, I'm running the class. The principal and teacher allowed me to take full cover of it. I have a gradebook and everything :D

10. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Wow, that's exciting. I was on the Westside Story in Idaho Falls. I sort of miss that, but now I'm a beat reporter for the U of I Argonaut. It's nice to actually get paid to work for the newspaper...

11. Oasis Writer

lol - I wish. I get to use it as community service. I actually don't want to do journalism at all, people just can't do the paper right. lol I actually am going to be a pediatrician.

12. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

It's fun to work for the newspaper in college. You get to meet all kinds of interesting people across the University. Boise has a student-run paper, doesn't it?

13. Oasis Writer

I've been told it does. I hope it does. lol

14. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

It's a great way to make a couple of bucks without working long hours. I wish you best of luck at it.

15. Oasis Writer

Thank you. :) Maybe sometime when we're both in the Valley, we'll have to go get a coffee or something. lol -Talk about Baseball and how BSU's football rocks. lol

16. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Ha, yeah, I don't make it down there very much. A really good friend of mine goes to Albertson, or College of Idaho, or whatever the hell they're calling it these days, but the rest of the people I know aren't very close to me, so I don't find much of a reason to go down that way. The last time I was in the valley, I spent a couple of days in Caldwell around New Years. But if I do ever make it down there again, yeah, for sure.

17. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you have a most wonderful time here with all of us.

There is a lot to see around the forum and a lot to get involved with. We hold weekly poetry and short story contests, so you should stop by and check them out.

Also in the novel section is a joint story venture if you feel up to another challenge. :)

Well see you around the board and do have a great time. :)

Torana

18. Oasis Writer

I got accepted there too :D But my financial aid wasn't good enough, so I couldn't go this year. Caldwell is nice most of the time. I'm there a lot. I travel the valley a lot. I make my way up to Twin a lot too.

Joint story? - That threw me off for a moment, but I think I get it now. :D I'm looking forward to critiquing lots. :)

19. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Caldwell has a lot of crime though, it's strange. I had to write a story about sex crimes for the paper, and Canyon County has a really high number of sex offenders living there compared to other counties. Of course Ada County has the most, but half the population lives there.

20. Oasis Writer

Ada and Treasure got a lot, yeah. I was surprised as well when I saw the numbers. I've had to write a few essays on it. The crime isn't as bad as the media portrays it, though, honestly. I've been around there and it is safe to walk around. However, I am a guy, so it can't be as bad for me. We need better police....or police that value their job.

21. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Moscow is really safe, aside from that guy who killed four people last May. We have a really low crime rate.

22. Oasis Writer

:) Something to write about there :D

I'm trying to find things around this site. So far, I love all the features and the activity is pretty awesome. I'm impressed.

23. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I wasn't here when that happened. The department did lose an officer in the line of duty, the first one to have ever died in that way. The whole thing was a pretty big deal around this part of the state.

24. Oasis Writer

Yeah, I think I remember all the news about it. Definitely a big deal. What are wages up there? Different from Idaho minimum or the same?

25. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

They're the same as the Idaho minimum. I worked for Hastings a while, and they kept me at minimum wage, so I quit. As of right now, I'm unemployed outside of the newspaper. How are the wages down there?