1. VioletKnight

VioletKnight New Member

Hi, i'm violet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VioletKnight, Aug 9, 2015.

Hey, I've been looking for a community to give me advice on creating stories and just joined this one among others. I love writing and have been doing it for years. Currently I am working on creating a superhero universe, and would like to know some advice on that.

I am in the very early stages, and would like advice on finding other works to draw on, informative resources for certain subjects, and advice on themes and character traits. Could any of you tell me which subforum would be best for asking these questions?

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. For those types of questions you want to use the 'research' are of the forum.

3. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

If you're looking for help with themes I would suggest looking up threads in the "General Writing" section. As for character traits I would look in the "Character Development" section; and last but not least if you need help with research there's a sub-forum "Research" that you can search stuff on there as well. One of the biggest advantages of this forum though is that if you can't find what you're looking for you can create a thread asking for whatever you need.

If you need help with creating a superhero universe I would take note of Marvel and DC Comics obviously; considering those two are the most popular super hero universes currently. I guess it depends on if you are focusing on just one super hero or if you'e planning on making a huge super hero universe with a ton of heroes and villains.

Also before I forget: Welcome to the forums! The community here is very friendly and helpful so I'm sure you'll get along great here.

Feel free to share any of your writing you have done so far in the writing workshop once you've met the requirements for posting there. :)

4. Song

Song Active Member

Welcome to the forum :superhello:
    Hope you find what you need here. :supersmile:

5. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Hi I'm blue how are you?

6. Theogenes

Theogenes New Member

So how many superheroes have you invented so far?? I'm intrigued.

7. VioletKnight

VioletKnight New Member

I'm definitely inspired by DC and Marvel. One of the reasons I'm doing this is because I've pretty much accepted that I'm not going to work for them because I don't plan on making comics be my day job. And if I did I might not be given the creative freedom to do what I want.

It's going to be a large superhero universe, and I am working with another person, although we are doing it independently and seeing how well they mesh later on. But we are giving each other advice.

Thirteen, 8 stand alone and one group of five, though I'm still trying to flesh them out.

8. Theogenes

Theogenes New Member

Fair enough. Any incline into their powers or are you keeping that to yourself for now?

9. VioletTara

VioletTara New Member

Welcome Violet! I'm Violet too!

10. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Welcome :) And I personally would look at DC, Marvel, and X-Men (I know, the X-Men are part of Marvel but I always feel the need to put them in their own category because they just don't feel like your run-of-the-mill Marvel characters) for inspiration and to see what different superheroes are like and why they are like that. That way you can better create your own superhero story/universe.

11. VioletKnight

VioletKnight New Member

Yeah, I read several comics. I'm trying to read them from Issue #1, which is easier for Marvel because they don't reboot every couple of years. I like the TV shows Avengers EMH, Spectacular Spider-Man, X-Men Evolution, The Batman, Spider-Man TAS, Superman TAS. I've also watched Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime, although they aren't superhero. I'm currently watching the Live Action Flash and the old Justice League Cartoon.

Well I'm still trying to flesh out the details, and some of these are subject to change

Half Human Alien with flight, super strength and energy projection
    Soldier with gadgets and vehicles provided by the military
    A cyborg, with different powers for different robotic bodies. Super Strength will be most common
    Space Cop, not sure what powers should be. Definitely flight, I'm also thinking creating melee energy weapons.
    Speedster, moves fast
    Aquatic hero, can communicate with sea creatures, breathe underwater, high strength and stamina, mild hydrokinesis
    Street level hero who uses gadgets. Might not give powers, or might allow density manipulation allowing for gliding and hard punches.
    Person impeded with Demon DNA, can turn into a demonic creature

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015