1. Colactix

Colactix Member

Hi there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colactix, Jul 29, 2015.

Hi guys.
    My name's Chris. I'm 19. I've been writing semi-seriously for about a year. At the moment I'm working on a novel called Our World. I've also done some short stories here and there. All in all I write for about four or five hours a day. It helps me deal with a lot of things. And I suppose like everyone else one day I hope to be published. :)

2. Song

Song Active Member

Welcome to the forum :superhello:
    5hrs a day! Thats some going. I think I only usually write about 2 and a half hours a day.
    Good luck with your novel, and see you around.:superyesh:

3. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

Welcome. Do you know what dog food tastes like? It tastes like it looks - delicious.

4. Colactix

Colactix Member

Thanks. At the moment I don't work so I have plenty of spare time. Not that I wish I wasn't working. :(

5. Colactix

Colactix Member

I didn't have any dog food on hand. I have a cat though, and after tucking into one of its Salmon and Tuna pouches I can say there's a good chance of it becoming my daily staple!

6. Song

Song Active Member

I'm sick waiting diagnosis, so I'm not working either but I don't have the health to write 5hrs a day. I need to be careful I don't do too much. I am thankful my health is good enough to still write though. I really want to get my first novel finished.

7. Colactix

Colactix Member

Sucks doesn't it. :mad: Luckily I'm in good physical health. I can't same the same about the mental side though. I've been trying to get over my social anxiety, but it's not easy. The irrationality of it all does my head in. Though it does give me inspiration to write. I suppose everything has its silver lining.

8. Jaina

Jaina Member

Haha, same here. :bigwink:

Welcome anyway to the forum. In which genres do you write?

9. Song

Song Active Member

Yeah I find I often write better when depression is looming (not when you have it, then you don't want to move. But before and after are great moments of creativity). Mental health issues, a bugger for life but fuel for the creative fire.

Jaina likes this.
  10. Colactix

Colactix Member

Ermm, that's a tough one. With regards to reading there's not really any genre I wouldn't read. (Though probably not those weird Erotica/Romance one's.) Haha. I suppose what I'm writing at the moment is something like Young adult/Romance/Science fiction.

How about you? :D

11. Colactix

Colactix Member

Yeah, I think that's true. If you look back at all the creative minds. A lot of the iconic one's suffered from mental health issues. Matt Haig has a great book called 'Reasons to Stay Alive' It's a memoir of his time through depression, it's really great. I think it just pushes you to do more. It's like in us creative people there's always been that spark, and sometimes things come along and throw tinder on it, lighting it into a raging inferno which can't be extinguished.

Song likes this.
  12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

On behalf of the staff, welcome! :)

In case you haven't taken a look at it yet, here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. Hope to see you around! :)

-Kat

13. Jaina

Jaina Member

I write nearly everything. Fantasy, Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Space Opera, Science fiction/fantasy, Romance, Historical fiction. Same with reading. I read everything too, but like you I skip erotica and romance. And what's really funny: At the moment I'm writing YA/Romance/Sf too.... And another urban fantasy project.

14. Colactix

Colactix Member

Haha. It seems like we have a lot in common. I took a peep at your profile, The Martian's a great book :) (Can't wait for the film). Have you read the Mortal Engines (I think they're called something else in the US,) books by Philip Reeve. It's Children's/YA, but they've been some of my favourites since I was a young kid.

15. Colactix

Colactix Member

Cheers. It seems like a great community. :)