1. Brock

Brock New Member

Hi there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brock, Jul 23, 2012.

Hi! I'm brock :)

I am a french canadian, so my sentences may sometimes sound awkward, even though I kept in the high levels of English classes and I keep reading and listening to movies in English, so I don't think I will post my writings on the forum because of language barriers, though I could sometimes try and translate them to ask for your advices.

Ever since I was young, I dreamt and dreaded becoming a writer. Why? I dreamt of it to express myself to the world... well, my readers, who may or may not be numerous. Why did I dread becoming a writer? three things separated me from my dream, laziness, lack of inspiration and this kind of anticipation, like I wanted to have finished writing before even starting it!

I started asking who I could about the subject, but none could help me. As usual, when an answer wouldn't come up I googled my thoughts and a website popped up with the idea of registering in writing forums, so there I am!

I hope I will be able to help you if I can

Brock. :)

2. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

I had the same problem when i wanted something finished beforehand, buuuut as far as I know, there's unfortunately no cure for that! you should also introduce a little of your started ambitions and what you've got on paper so far, don't leave us hanging.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Brock!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya Brock. I feel the same way about wanting it to be easy, but it never is, damn it. "Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die."

5. Brock

Brock New Member

Now, that's what I looked for! Only introducing myself through the intro thread and more replies than expected! :D

To I Am Vague: I currently wander through some psychological stuff and try to integrate them in a story. Shutter Island, Batman's Arkham Asylum. I don't have much to work with, since I always start again.

Before this time, many subject caught my eye, then as I would go and try to imagine a story, a plan, a short story, I would think it was worthless and throw it away. The last few times, I kept what I had and I found some subject that kept coming in my plans, asylums and psychological imbalance.

How will it be integrated? I don't really know... Who is the protagonist/antagonist? I do not know... I am taking small steps, but sure steps this time

To Banzai: It is a pleasure to follow the guidelines of the forum!

To Thumpalumpacus: I can't find any better way to express it! :)

6. JessyM

JessyM New Member

Hi there, this my first writing forum ever! Hopefully I will spend more time here rather than endless hours of facebook trawling I seem to have an addiction to, too!! Lol.

7. Abigail

Abigail Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

8. *Katie

*Katie New Member

Surrounded by corn and tractors over here in ohio.
    Hey Brock :) This is my first time being on a writing forum too. And I have the same problem that you said you struggle with, laziness (I have a LOT of that), lack of inspiration, and wanting to finish before I even begin. So anyways, I hope you enjoy your time here on writing forms. :)

9. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

Bonjour Brock! I'm also Canadian, loved Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City, and this is my first time on a writing forum.
    It seems we have a few things in common. I understand the language barrier, if only my French was as good as your English. :p