1. Simona Sh

Simona Sh New Member

Hi there! Help please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Simona Sh, Sep 8, 2013.

Hi everyone! My name is Simona ,22. English is my third language.
    I am trying to start a book. Actually I've been writing pieces/chapters but..
    It's really hard to build the book. I have all the characters and the story but everything is
    like one huge puzzle and I don't seem to understand how to fit the pieces together.
    Sometimes I think that what I've done is so wrong and that I should start from the beginning..
    I don't want to give up on my story,I love it.
    I never wrote a book in my life so I don't really know how to do it . Any advice?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Simona, and welcome to the forum! Please read the rules and participate. This is a pretty fun place to be.

Your question is very general, and it's the kind of thing that almost all new writers ask. It can't be answered in just one post, or even in just one thread, but if you browse through our General Writing area here, you'll find almost every possible writing question discussed at length. Check it out - there's a ton of useful information there.

3. Simona Sh

Simona Sh New Member

Thank you . I already browsed some interesting threads. And I think that this is really the place I need to be. :)

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If you don't want to give up on your story, it suggests you have one. I wrote a lot of my story before finally settling on the organization, but now it's coming together nicely. So there's nothing wrong with writing chapters that you rearrange later. Just be prepared to trim a whole chapter or two if you need to. I put pieces that didn't fit in the final cut in file rather than deleting them and it made it easier.

The second thing is to get someone to critique a bit of the work so you know what direction to take your writing style. I do it with a critique group I joined through "Meetup". I don't know if you have access to something like that where you are. Other people do it here on the forum and we have some excellent critics here. I also began reading writing books of which there are dozens of approaches, some that work better for me than others.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

As Ginger says, just keep writing and see where it takes you and become immune to shearing lots and lots of your previous hard work. I've often taken snipped 500 words, sometimes 1000 and almost cried but you get used to it when you realise it was crap anyway but just in case you think there might be a few nuggets that just didn't sit right, keep them in a different folder for later - also the best advice I can give you is to back up everything - twice or even thrice!