1. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Hello my fellow dreamers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aire, Oct 14, 2015.

My name is Louis, though I go as readily by my 2nd Richard or Rich [I wish]. I'm 20, male obviously. The 2nd youngest of seven children... yep big family. My mother comes from a big family - I mean 11 siblings, big. I'd say it's the "farmer" blood but a school friend is from a farming family and there's only ever been maybe three kids.

Like old pops I will go prematurely grey - otherwise someone has dyed this ridiculous strip of white into my hair when I was asleep. Like pops I have a rather artistic mindset - I can study with the best of them, however, I'd much rather be in the backwoods drawing or sketching something. Or "tormenting" Joey - Joey is a working type neapolitan mastiff [so he doesn't have the heavily folded skin] that we got from the pound roughly 2 years ago. Big brute with a puppy's mind - he's 5, he still thinks he's 2 months old just tromps along with tongue lolling.

... Rambling.

Anyways I joined the forums to get some tips on writing. I write quite easily but I've never been capable of finishing a book or novella, etc.

2. Aerisfullofwhimsy

Aerisfullofwhimsy Member

Welome Aire! You will get plenty of useful tips here, I know I did and still am. Don't worry about rambling, I do this constantly. Frequently. Always.
    I have never finished writing a book or novella either (I am working on something though). I focus on short stories. What type/genre/literature do you write? Fiction,horror,romance,poetry,plays, or songs?
    Joey sounds fun. I think animals are the natural friend to the writer, they make for excellent character studies. I have two cats. They are jerks and awful people in general. I love them.
    I look forward to seeing you around and seeing your work. Good luck and welcome again!

3. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Thanks Aerisfullofwhimsy. As to what sort of genre ... good question. The closest I got to finishing a book was a fantasy / sci-fi cross ... had a friend read it [who tore it to shreds] and pretty much put me off writing for the time.

Aerisfullofwhimsy likes this.
  4. Aerisfullofwhimsy

Aerisfullofwhimsy Member

What the hell? They tore it to shreds?! Did you at least kick them in the teeth or torch their Pokemon cards? Wow. Why did they do that? Don't let anyone discourage you, including other writers. But really, why did they do that? I feel like I really need to know at this point.....

5. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

I should say friend in the most liberal of terms. It was a family friend who works for a publishing company that I had asked him to review [and which I mistakenly sent to beforehand & asked for him to elaborate on the dismissal from said company]. I say the "closest I got" was this book because on retrospect it really was a shoddy book. But I thought it was fantastic.

As for kicking them in the teeth - I did sic my cousin on him. Between me and her, she is much worst. Takes me a while to get angry but I am very Scottish as they say in that aspect, never forget when slighted.

6. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hi Aire! Welcome to the Forum. This is really a great place for those of us who are passionate about writing and want to learn a thing or two.
    As for not being able to finish a novel, I have that problem too and I desperately need to finish mine.
    Anyway, Happy writing:)

7. NotTonightJosephine

NotTonightJosephine New Member

Pheeeew, and I thought a friend who lately read my stuff was evil when she burned my main character, my style and actually a whole story, while a couple of other friends said I need not to seek a job, because my book shall be a bestseller. You should definitely not feel discouraged, no matter what happens.

8. Morgan Stelbas

Morgan Stelbas Active Member

Welcome Aire!
    I'm a newb, but so far I have found this a fantastic place to get exactly what you came looking for!
    I feel a special bond with people who appreciate having pets. I have trouble relating to people who don't like animals. I really feel that they bring a special companionship and joy to any person or family. I recently had to give up my two cats *sniff*, because of having to change where I live (long story, don't ask), and I miss them terribly. Some mornings I wake up thinking I feel their warm bodies at the foot of the bed, but it disappears when I sit up. Anyway, the fact that you introduced your pet to us was really cool!
    Look forward to reading your work!

9. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Welcome to the forum! That made me smile (not the burning of your work. I would secretly put saltpeter in their coffee for a month as payback) I love animals. I had over thirty cats over a five year span and two dogs. I loved them. The dogs were strays that lived outside my building while I was living in Eastern Europe. I took them with me when I moved to a yard. I remember the mom that was pregnant and raised the puppies with food every night and affection every chance I got. They slept under my car because it was warm, and sheltered. They won and my car was never broken in to.

I know, I know...Thirty cats? Good God, how does that happen while not being a virgin? This adorable kitten comes up to me and she adopted me. Jumps on my pants and dug her claws in. She was white with a black tail and ears, and the greenest eyes. I knew sh...sh...(damn, not a single synonym of nothing that starts with sh) so when she went into heat, I felt bad for her, so I "imported" a tom cat from a friend. So two nights later a duet of sultry and seductive meows (to a cat anyway) climaxing (pun soooo intended) in a squealing hundred decibel monster meow. Few months later three kittens were born. Gave all but one, which I couldn't part with, a panther of a cat that got to him mom...so more kittens...do you see where this is going? I couldn't find good homes for them in time, so the peak was twenty-six at one time. I do miss them. I loved them dearly more than I love members of my family and if I could take care of a furry lil bastard I would. But I can't. Too many car parts with dangerous fluids on them. (No! not a euphemism! Transmission fluid and oil are toxic lol)

Ok, so I ramble, so you're in good company. I'm curious about the plot of the story. I've been here a few days and I've made friends already, and learned quite a lot. And on top of that, I've received compliments that you will get too. They warm the cockles don't they?

Welcome and don't give that pen a rest. Pens are bad, they need punishment, so no rest for the wicked, right?

AB

10. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Thanks guys. I won't necessarily say it feels good to know other people have had work torn to bits as that's not a nice experience; but at least I am not alone.

To Masterspeler - I live on a farm. Well did before coming here for further schooling. 30 cats sounds like fun. We probably have 22 cats in the barn on a slow day... most of the queens fortunately have been spayed except one or two of the better mousers.

My favorite is by far Licorice - a 8 year old blue eyed calico that is part Siamese / part long hair that has become an indoors cat now as she had a tangle with a coyote two years ago - she's a bossy little B [she's actually smaller than most of the cats] who just doesn't know when to be quiet. If you didn't know she was Siamese by her body shape her constant need to talk - & talk, & talk [all hours, she's held conservations at 3 in the morning & if you try using the washroom before feeding her in the morning - she'll sit on the other side of the door and sing the "feed me" song] .... would easily identify that particular lineage.

We have five Border Collies & a Kangal on the farm. But Joey is mine. He's a sap and about as useful on the farm as a sack of potatoes. He is afraid of sheep & we have sheep. A lamb is enough to get him to turn tail and run.

Aerisfullofwhimsy likes this.
  11. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Awesome. I have thought about moving out on someplace with lots of land. And get some cats, some dogs (need guard dogs, right?) and maybe some cows, horses. I would be nice, getting away from this place.

Oh, the 30 cats were in a one bedroom apartment, on the 7th floor. The 26 at a single time was interesting. Two of them fell. Oki was a year old and crashed through a tree in summer, so he was ok. Scared, but I ran down the stairs since it was faster than an elevator, and got to him. He clung so tight to me, poor cat.

Poofan fell but it was winter. I got down there, and there were dogs surrounding him. I never wanted to kill dogs, but those dogs I wanted to murder. Luckily the dogs I ended up taking to me when I moved to the yard were guarding him. I guess they could smell me on the cat. Two dogs held off ten bravely, but it wasnt over. I got to Poofan and he was bleeding from his mouth. I took him home and thought, I'll just be with him until he passes. I thought he had internal injuries, but the next day he was better. So i pried his mouth open and one of his teeth pierced his tongue.

That's the only thing I hate about having pets. Losing them. I'm not sure I can handle that now. Maybe when I get older, so we go at the same time. I know, morbid, but I've lost too many pets and too many friends in my life.

AB

12. Aple

Aple Member

Don't let this get you down. Part of writing is improving. If my books hadn't been torn up a few times (read as over a dozen ) it wouldn't be the amazing masterpiece it is today.

Don't let it turn you away from writing. All the crits make you a strong writer. Plus it toughen your skin for the billion rejections you'll get when you start submitting to agents and publishers... and those get you ready for low reviews. :) it's all a long chain of making you a stronger person.

13. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Ah 26 cats in one room - it's bad enough in the barn half the time, and this is a big old horse barn [so it's big].

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Eastern Europe. The event with the 10 dogs crowding around reminds me of Moscow when I was there with relatives a few years ago - there are a lot of semi-feral dogs there and they could be quite bothersome.

14. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

Big family can have its advantages, each of you can pick a different profession, makes for a very independent family unit :)
    Don;t worry about the grey hairs, with men its all about the confidence.

Living in a farm must give you the perfect atmosphere for writing, quiet but not too quiet.
    Like the others said, don't let anyone put you down. The only thing writers need to worry about is funding, the rest is hard work and a journey of self improvement.

Whats your passion? How did you get around to start writing fantasy-science fiction?