1. Richard H

Richard H New Member

Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Richard H, Nov 12, 2010.

Hi all

I'm new here. I'm interested in writing theory. I'd like to do some creative writing too, maybe short stories, but never seem to get round to it, at least not properly.

I'm doing a PhD on 'discovery writing' at University of Exeter, UK. Here's my profile page:

http://eprofile.exeter.ac.uk/portfolio.php?uid=rjh216&section=1

Discovery writing is often defined by the so-called Forster quote, "How do I know what I think before I see what I say!" The idea being that some writers find out their story, characters, ideas (or whatever else) by writing. I've written essays like that, and assumed I was maybe doing something wrong, because lots of theory says that you should plan, plan, plan.

I've got some people's backs up a bit by suggesting that discovery writing can be kind of 'making it up as you go along'. I think it can be like that, but I know I do other things too, like lie awake in bed thinking about what I'm going to write, or I find myself rehearsing a sentence. In short, I imagine that we have lots of ways to prepare for writing. It's just that the actual writing is a big thing for me. Until I've written something, I feel I have nothing, empty, nada. Getting something down gives me a safe feeling, and then I can build from that, take risks, knowing I've got something safe in the bank.

Anyway, I'm rambling, as usual. Nice to be here! I'll go back to that thread 'How much do you plan!' That's very relevant to me. I'll have a look around too.

Bye

Richard

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you have a great time here and look forward to seeing you around the boards.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)
    Studying Discovery Writing sounds interesting.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Richard, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Top Cat

Top Cat New Member

A fellow academic! And one who likes narrative theory! :cool:

Though I'm only a mere BA student - dwarfed by your almighty Phd status. :p

7. Richard H

Richard H New Member

Thanks all

@ Top Cat

Thanks. I'm feeling pretty small myself at the moment. Always learning! I'm regularly meeting people who dwarf me. The good thing is that most of them do it in a helpful way.

8. Top Cat

Top Cat New Member

Well, it will be interesting to read up on your findings!

I'm very much the opposite, see - I'm quite a dependent-structuralist when it comes to writing narratives, with my own processes. I never write until I know what I'm writing...I like using defined archetypes, and supposed structures as way of of almost...building a narrative.

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hi Richard.