1. dungman

dungman New Member

greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dungman, Jul 3, 2007.

hello, im really a novice writer and to be honest im not really a great fan of writing

im looking for an answer to why im really bad at writing but very very good at math/science. im trying to break this academic weakness and wish to find out what it feels to be a writer. in other words, i want to find writing an enjoyment.

2. Bick

Bick New Member

Okay. I am now a five year old... or it's because I'm very tired. Your name made me giggle.

Hrm. Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm really, really, really bad at math and science and am moderately good at writing.

Maybe if you see past it being something you have to do in school, and see it as a creative outlet you might get more respect for writing.

Anywho, I'm Bick. It's nice to see a new face -shakes your hand- I hope you find a new liking for writing, as it really is a good outlet. We have fantastic members here, all very funny though helpful.

Welcome!

3. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

well, i am good in englsih, math and science, though i am beginning to lean more towards writing than anything. i am pyrox, and welcome to the forum, hope to c u around a bit
    au revoir

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

We are all novices when it comes to writing really. I don't see how we can ever call ourselves anything more as we are always learning more and more about the written word every day.

Well I do hope that you find writing to be enjoyable as time goes by. It really is a wonderful feeling to be able to create something in the written word from our own minds/hearts and have it read and enjoyed by others.

Well I hope you have a wonderful stay here with all of us and I look forward to seeing you around the board.

~Torana

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Writing does not come from the heart and science is not restricted to the intellectual elite, many eminent mathmeticians and scientists have written great literature - personally I think an analytical mind come be put to great use in literature. Start writing in you comfort zone, for example a semi-autobiographical account of a day, throw some fiction in and you have writing. If you're not confident don't attempt anything too grandiose to start, as whilst it could come out great, the potential for you ebing unsatisfied with it could also be great. Any questions let us know, we'll be glad to help. Welcome to the site.

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome.

~Raven.

7. newguy

newguy New Member

If it helps don't think of writing as an art....
    It'll piss you off I swear....

interesting name....
    any reasons as to why Dungman???

and finally hearty welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

I got 2 cookies want one??????????????????????

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, dungman,

My greatest strengths are also in math and science, and although I've always had a bit of a writing bug, I never did much with it.

You can approach writing analytically, and that can make you a competent writer, fill in the academic void. From that end of it, grammars are actually a mathematical discipline, and a fascinating one at that. Also, for nonfiction, you can concentrate on structure, accuracy, and clarity to produce documents that are useful and very readable. If you take this route, you can still elevate your abilities well beyond the average educated person currently writing such materials.

But the other side of writing is to convey a perspective, whether it be visual, emotional, auditory, tactile, or whatever. If you can wrap your perceptions in words so that a reader can unwrap them and see or feel what you experienced to some degree, that is the joy of writing. Even technical writing can benefit from that human touch.

Anyway, this is an introduction thread, so I hope you can find the inspiration, the muse within yourself as you explore the site. I hope you discover the joy in a well chosen phrase, the perfect words to tack a vision to the wall for all to all to see.

In any case, have fun!