1. LittleGirlWithBlueEyes

LittleGirlWithBlueEyes New Member

Introducing Me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LittleGirlWithBlueEyes, Feb 23, 2008.

I'm surprised I hadn't found this forum earlier, as I'm a bit of a forum addict, but I'm glad to have found it now.

I'm not very good at talking at great length about myself without any sort of purpose, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm Breanne. I'm seventeen years old, but a bit closer to eighteen than I am to seventeen. :) I was born in Goose Bay, Labrador, to first and second-generation Canadian parents and moved to Cold Lake, Alberta, about a year and a half later, which is where I have lived ever since.

I've always been somewhat of a storyteller and I began writing just as soon as I knew how to form letters. For a very long time I was very shy about letting my own characters develop and wrote mainly fanfiction, although I have not written any fanfiction in probably close to six months.

I started a novel last spring, called Carolina Rain. It never really got very far, although I do hope I can pick it up again sometime. At present I'm working on a short story based loosely on the song Casimir Pulaski Day, by Sufjan Stephens, and I've just finished one called Thirteen, which was based on and used lyrics from the Big Star/Elliott Smith song of the same name. I'm quite proud of Thirteen and especially of the new one, but the new one hasn't gotten far enough for me to really tell if it'll be any good or not.

In case you couldn't tell, I also love music. I'm absolutely obsessed with the now-defunct Britpop band Pulp (which is where my username came from--although I am rather little and I do have blue eyes, I just adore that song.) at the moment, but I like all manner of music. The Libertines and Ryan Adams are two of my other favourites, but I also like more mainstream British bands like The Kooks and Arctic Monkeys.

Although I've lately focused more heavily on writing than reading, I love a good book. I'm reading The Hours by Michael Cunningham for school right now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed his A Home At The End Of The World, which is one of my favourite novels. Although my all-time favourites right now have to be two absolutely fantastic Canadian books--Lullabies For Little Criminals, by Heather O'Neill, and Fall On Your Knees, by Ann-Marie MacDonald. Both are spectacular books. For lighter, fluffier reads I really enjoy Jodi Picoult's novels and I'm working my way through her Nineteen Minutes a second time for some lighter reading and a break from The Hours.

Er, that's about all...any questions, feel free to ask away! :D

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello there and welcome to Writing Forums from a fellow fan fiction writer :)

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Welcome to the site! I look forward to seeing you around here. How far is your novel you started?

4. LittleGirlWithBlueEyes

LittleGirlWithBlueEyes New Member

Forty-two pages before I realised that I knew the beginning, the end, and a hundred pages between them, but I had nothing to flesh it out and make it so that those hundred pages have their place.

I plan on digging it out and getting some suggestions here! Also on character development, as the characters were very flat, one-dimensional.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Breanne, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums :) I hope that you are able to find the motivation to continue with your novel. If you have any questions about the forum then give us a shout and I hope to see more of you around here soon.

7. kallex

kallex New Member

Welcome, stay and join in the fun. Best of luck with your novel.