1. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Hidden agenda in synopsis??

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by bsbvermont, Aug 20, 2012.

I am wondering if the purpose of the synopsis is truly to give a snapshot of the events in the book (ending at the end) or if it is also to demonstrate the showing vs telling and writing style. Knowing that the synopsis is supposed to be one page (according to several of the agents' sites I've seen at least) it seems there would have to be a trade off between style and pragmatism. Is it better to "show" in a synopsis at the cost of leaving out plot detail or tell in a more succinct manner at the cost of demonstrating descriptive style?

Any thoughts?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

You're not going to be able to get all the details in the plot included in a one page essay anyway.

Write the synopsis in third person present tense. Including things like dialogue probably won't be helpful.

There is no hidden agenda, at least not that I have ever been told about or concluded, so I don't believe there is.

The agent/editor wants to know about the novel, what happens in it, a little about the setting, characters and action. An author's writing style should come through in that short piece. Word choice, sentence structure, pacing, all of that does have an impact.

3. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Thanks for the input...That's what I had thought, but I wasn't sure if others had different experiences.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As Terry said, the publisher wants a quick overview of what is in the story. If there is a "hidden" agenda, it is that the publisher will want to see how you can be both concise and expressive.

The synopsis is the first sample of your writing ability the publisher will see. Consciously or not, the publisher will form his or her first impression from the synopsis in the query.