1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Hiding Explosions?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Killer300, Dec 23, 2011.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move if not so. Okay, I know this probably sounds like a weird question, but I have a setting involving the Undead in an interesting way. Basically, when a person comes back to life, an explosion results from the event that is enough to blow a massive hole in a Graveyard.

My question is would it be possible to hide something like that in a world like ours? Or is that quite implausible? The reason I include it is thematic reasons that so far seem important enough to the plot for them. Should perhaps this just be out in the open?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I don't think you could hide something like that, no. I mean, if a graveyard's out behind a huge tree wall from a small town, sure, that'd be easy, as long as it doesn't set anything on fire. If it does, everybody will know about it.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see how 'explosions' and 'massive holes' could possibly go unnoticed unless the graveyard was an abandoned one and way out of town on a rarely traveled road...

4. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

It wouldn't go unnoticed, but people may not know the real reason for it. Maybe they think that teenage hoodlums in the area have taken to blowing up graveyards, or some weird religious or terrorist group is doing it.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Around here (rural) people would most likely think someone was blowing up stumps. Of course, if the hole was left in the graveyard, that would be noticed, so maybe it the earth could get sucked back in after the Undead leave?

6. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Hmm. Okay, perhaps if this is a suitably rare event, they'll just blame it on terrorists or something. Although... there is that soul shattering scream before hand. But okay, this happens quite rarely, so should be fine. Question is just finding someone to blame for it.