1. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Hiding spot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by LaPetitePierrot, Jun 26, 2010.

Hmm, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with one part of my story. My character's hiding a letter inside an opera-house, so one day, he'll tell his daughter where it is and she'll be able to find it (a valuable document... evidence of a crime, in a way). I need to find somewhere fitting inside an theater where it'll stay hidden for years and years without anyone disturbing it accidentally... anyone got any ideas?

2. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Umm, I don't know what it's called but there're a narrow walkway above the stage where staff goes up and arrange things like lightning adjusting and sling work. There're very few people go up there. So, if you make hidden spot like a box hidden underneath wood board it will go unseen for years.

3. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

Its in opera house, so they have an organ. There will be lot of opportunities there.

In Manchester or Bradford I went to an organ factory years ago…fascinating - the mechanics of it.

4. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Hmm, so would someone be able to hide a scroll or something in the clockwork without it messing up the organ's sound or getting found?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In a scenery/props room,you could easily lose a box or a journal for decades.

6. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

The thing with an opera house is, it could be found simply because the building isn't deserted. It's possible something could get lost anywhere, & the apprehension as to whether or not it is still there could be something fun to play with.

Floorboards is an obvious place, I like a prop-room - you could have some fun with the things your characters find in there! Just don't go under the stage...

7. RobT

RobT Active Member

Under the floorboards in one of the rooms.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

behind a mirror in a dressing room/powder room

in a seat [sewn into cushion], the number of which is significant to the character... eg.g., kid's b'day [S-19 = sept. 19]

inside/under a statue in the lobby

9. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

In a dusty old room no one uses any more. A prop room or dressing room is what I'm thinking. I like Mia's idea of it being in a seat cushion. He could hide it under a floorboard then put a large prop on top of it or a vanity. I would think wherever he hid it would be some place that had some sort of distinguishing mark or characteristic so he could find it later on.

10. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

If it's a modern opera house, there's something to be said for ventilation systems. Like, say you go to that one air duct in the back corner of one of the prop rooms or something. Just one of the vents that wouldn't be opened and inspected, because it is both out of the way and there's likely to just be things stacked near it.

Many opera houses (or any ol' stages, for that matter) had secret tunnels for the actors to get from point A to any of points B, C, D, etc. very quickly without having to do any runaround of the stage or its auditorium. Anyway, while the tunnels are well used, there's potential in maybe removing a floorboard or a panel from the wall down there.

Edit: Also, you might consider the orchestra pit. Really, in theatres, there's a multitude of nooks and crannies they need to tuck stuff away from the audience, while making it readily available. While they're generally well used, as I mentioned, the fact is that they're often kept relatively dark, and only staff takes a close look at them.