1. Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse Member

Novel Is it just me or writing a novel is HARD?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Zombocalypse, Oct 24, 2016.

Is it just me or writing a novel is HARD?

It's draining the life out of me, and I'm only writing 1,000 words a day. lol

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

When I was younger I tried writing a novel or two. It was extraordinarily hard and I never finished any of them.

When I wrote my first novel to completion I didn't find it especially hard. Yes, it was work but it never filled me with dread to sit down and work on it. I couldn't wait to work on it.

I can't speak for others but my belief is when you have a story truly worth telling and it excites you the process of writing won't be dreadful. It will still be work, but I don't think it should be hard or difficult. YMMV.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It's totally hard, but a thousand words a day is pretty good. You're doing it. You're maintaining a routine. Committing to a thousand words a day is no small task. Of course, it's going to be draining, but keep at it. You'll have your first draft finished in no time if you can keep your daily word count up like that.

4. atsgtm2018

atsgtm2018 Member

Nope it's not just you, it's hard. I'm actually quite emotionally invested in the story I'm writing so it's hasn't been THAT hard. I enjoy writing it so it's difficulty hasn't really bothered me. It's fun, I may be weird or crazy for say that. Anyways, keep at it like everyone says, and 1,000 words is great. I like to use certain points in the plot to take my breaks, like one scene I want to get done, a chapter, a conversation, that way I'm not thinking so much about achieveing word count and thinking about the story. Good luck, try to have fun with it!

jannert likes this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hard, depends on your definition. It requires dedication and time, but if you are in love with writing your story, what's hard is when work keeps you from it. I so need to retire.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't say it's 'hard,' in that it never feels like a slog to me, but I would certainly say it's 'challenging.' So much to learn. So much effort to get it as perfect as possible during the many edits you'll do after your first draft is finished. But each subsequent draft gets better, and better, so that's not really 'hard'. It just takes focus. The intense pleasure you get from creating, from making a story that lives in your head come alive on the page as well? Nope. I wouldn't call that hard. I'd call that fun.

If I felt it was draining me, I'd probably stop. But that's just me. I write for fun.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I also think it's probably more difficult if you don't have a solid understanding of what elements comprise a novel and how to work with them, or if you don't have thorough knowledge of your subject matter. I still remember the first time I ever tried to write a novel. It was a war novel and I was 12. I didn't get too far before realizing I needed to read a lot more before I could write.

123456789 and jannert like this.
  8. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Young people today want fast gratification and don't want to suffer.

9. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

My belief on the matter ranges from "This isn't so bad," to "Gah! This is never getting done!"

10. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I think it's really hard. Writing a story is easy, but unless you want it to be over before it even started, you have to dig deep.

11. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Thousand words a day is great progress. I think the toughest part is the editing stage, but then again, a lot of people don't even finish a first draft. I have nothing but respect for people who write a novel and get it published and on the shelf. Keep on chugging along, and good luck!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

You're doing better than me ;)

I wrote 1970 words per month when I was writing my Doctor Who fanfic on Microsoft Word, and I've been averaging 6775 words per month writing my Urban Fantasy WIP on Scrivener.

30,437.5 words per month sounds crazy to me :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I may be reading into your post, but it sounds like you like it.

14. Luke Scott

Luke Scott Member

Hardest part for me is finding the time and the energy. I don't write for a living (although I would like to), so finding time where I am not exhausted from my 50 hour a week job is hard.

Never find it hard finding incentive for a story.

15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am on the middle line. The further I get the more I have to build upon. Then there is research, which I rather
    enjoy but it eats time that could be spent writing. Procrastination is my #1 enemy, and I am really good at it. :p
    As for words per hour/day/week/month are widely varied, mainly due to the fact that I make up things as I go.
    Outlining is just not for me. So I spend a fair amount of time rereading past events to keep the story accurate to
    its self, and do a bit of editing in the process (multi-tasking +1).

So yes it is hard (especially when you have to keep track of and remember accessory characters names and how
    to spell them when they are of the 'exotic' variety). :p

16. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Right. It just IS hard.

There does come a point though when you know what you're doing and the path ahead is clear/er. Even then, you still have to put in the hours - ass on seat, actually writing.

17. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

People also don't value things freely gained as much as things they have to work to acquire. That sense of accomplishment you get when you finish a story? There's nothing in the world like it.

tonguetied likes this.
  18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

most things that are worthwhile have some difficulty about them

19. TheWriteWitch

TheWriteWitch Active Member

'Draining' is just the right word for it.

Writing a novel is harder, but I'm finding that procrastinating said novel is even harder. Writing comes with the knowledge that you tried while procrastinating just leads to guilt and darkness. Or maybe that's just me. o_O

Peper Shaker and IHaveNoName like this.
  20. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

I know exactly what you mean.

TheWriteWitch likes this.
  21. Lady Fickle

Lady Fickle Member

It's hard! It's penal servitude. It hurts when you write, it hurts when you don't write. You develop a relationship with the book. At some point your creation seems to rise to life...and there is a chance you will hate it, distaste your own monsterling! But that shouldn't stop you. It's like art - a picture can never be a failure, it's simply not finished...
    So don't give up! Find the courage and the stamina to pursue your dream book, you will be rewarded in the end!

22. A dreamer

A dreamer New Member

It's hard I think, but you are doing a great job! Everything seems hard at the beginning, but once you finished your first novel you'd realize it wasn't that hard as you thought

23. Alphonse Capone

Alphonse Capone Active Member

Starting is the hardest.

24. Ebenezer Lux

Ebenezer Lux Member

It's hard, but there are positive caveats (oxymoron?). If you can delight yourself with your writing, find peace in it, immerse yourself in the world, then it's a labor of love.

25. SardonicWriter

SardonicWriter Member

Yes! Writing a novel is difficult! For anyone! There are so many things to consider in your work!

I want to continue and finish my novel but it strains my mind and exhausts me. That and I'm a
    PERFECTIONIST. I haven't written in weeks! And there's so much time on my hands! I can't be
    the only one who's plagued by something. Something so stupidly easy to break through but invisible
    to me. It's not an excuse. It's more of a concern for me.

It brings me such satisfaction and comfort to see my thinking and creativity put on the screen, as it
    does to everyone, I suppose. I need that writing spirit and routine, otherwise I won't get anywhere.

Writing is rewarding and fulfilling. I love Writing.​