High-Fantasy question...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, May 14, 2009.

1. WritingForFun

WritingForFun New Member

if your in need of races just make some up.

use your imagination explore new ideas

2. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

I can only state my opinion as a reader on this one--I generally don't get into elves and dwarves and orcs. I don't see anything fresh or innovative being done there. It seems to me we've seen such a glut of these beings that they've lost their magic.

Back in times of old, elves were elusive, enigmatic--sometimes terrifying. Today, they're humans with pointy ears and refined speech. Whatever you decide to do, I think it's important your races come across as truly alien, nearly unknowable. They don't merely have a different culture--they are a different species altogether.

One thing you might consider is reading up on non-Western mythology. I don't know what they were smoking over there, but it made for great stories. The Obakemono Project, http://www.obakemono.com/introduction.php, is a good resource for crazy freaky monster fun.

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. One of the races I made is based on the Maori people of New Zealand, as the race I made are sea-farers. However, physically, you could say they look like a cross between Stitch and a sprite. :rolleyes: