1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

High Fantasy.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jhunter, Dec 9, 2011.

What are your favorite series/authors in this genre?

I am looking for some new material to read.

I do not care if it is new, old or somewhere in the middle. I am game for anything that is good. Even if you think I have read it before, list it anyway. You never know.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It's not pure fantasy (but it's very good), but if you haven't already read them, you should take a look at Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.

3. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

I have only plugged these two like a bajillion times but, with the risk of sounding like a broken record....
    The Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust, starting with Taltos.
    The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, starting with The Way of Shadows.

Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green is also good.

Aurian by Maggie Furey is worth a read. Not so much the rest of the books in the series; they're all right, but the last book is very rushed and I found the ending to be quite disappointing.

I'm not sure if Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones is quite high fantasy but in the off chance that it is, that one is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of R. A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books -- I'd start with The Crystal Shard. People seem to either love them or hate them.

4. Jhunter

You know, I always meant to read those. But I completely forgot, thanks for reminding me!

5. Jhunter

I feel like a complete moron for not knowing Howl's Moving Castle is a book. I have seen the Studio Ghibli film at least a dozen times. I will have to read the book for sure.

I am also a big Salvatore fan since I was a child. I still read all of his books at least once every few years (the ones I have anyway). Though, I am behind on some of the newer installments in the current "series." I put it in quotes because they really are for the most part one big story, even if they are broken down into smaller chunks.

But I love these mini "series":

- The Icewind Dale Trilogy
    - The Dark Elf Trilogy
    - The Cleric Quintet
    - Legacy of the Drow
    - Paths of Darkness
    - The Sell Swords
    - The Hunter's Blade Trilogy

But as far as the rest of the stuff you have mentioned, I have not read those yet and I will most definitely check them out.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't know if it is 'high' fantasy, because it is gritty, violent, and down in the gutter at times, but I thought Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold was excellent fantasy.

7. Jhunter

I think you mentioned this to me before, because it is close to the top of my to-read list. I know I didn't find this on my own, haha. I believe it was also you who pointed me in the direction of Malazan?

8. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I have an entire bookshelf full of Dragonlance-books, and I still want more. :)

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah Malazan books are good. I'd go with Best Served Cold​ first, though. You can read that as a stand-alone book (though it is not a short one).

10. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I remember seeing a subway ad for a fantasy a while back, had the nyt best seller tag on it and all, I think it had the title of Eldest with a dragon visage on it, could be good, though it has been eons since I read a fantasy.

11. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Eldest is the second in the Eragon-series. ;)

12. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

It is a fantastic book; much different than the movie and at least as good, if not better. And actually, I just learned that Howl's Moving Castle is the first book in a series (the Wizard's Castle series,) though sadly, Diana Wynne Jones only got three books finished before she died back in March. Thankfully, like her other series, they're all stand-alone stories. If you like Howl's Moving Castle, The Last Unicorn is also worth a read -- it has a similar "genre-savvy fairytale" feel.

13. Jhunter

Gross.

14. Jhunter

Sweet, thanks for the tip.

15. Jhunter

Every time I hit up a book store I see shelves upon shelves of Dragonlance books. I also get curious; but then I get scared. It seems so daunting to start the series, haha. But I am sure I will start it someday.

16. Ross M Kitson

Ross M Kitson New Member

I read the original trilogy when they came out in the Eighties, mainly as I had played the modules. You can get them in compilation now- they are the Chronicles I think (Dragons of Autumn Twilight etc). They were followed by the equally good Twins series (Time of the Twins etc). Start with those. Easy reading and very compulsive.
    Have you tried Robin Hobb yet? Regarded as some of the best series around- start with Farseer trilogy (Assassins Apprentice etc).
    if you want something grittier try Scott Lynch Gentleman Bastard or Name ofthe Wind. Both great though not very High fantasy. Jack Vance is good, so is Gene Wolffe.
    Cheers, Ross

17. blandmanblind

blandmanblind Member

I would feel remiss if I didn't mention Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin, which is as ridiculously good as it is ridiculously dark.

Personally, I have to mention Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. This is bar none my favorite fantasy/science fiction books. I know high fantasy is typically in a completely fantastical world, but the Earth of these books is billions of years in the future when the sun in bloated and red, and at any moment could go out. You will find less heroic characters in all the books together than you can count on your hand, but they are all incredibly entertaining with their eloquent dialogue and vicious natures toward one another.

Also, despite being more historical fantasy, everyone a fan of the genre should read The Once and Future King by T. H. White, which consists of four books about the life of King Arthur and those around him. The first one is the very famous Sword in the Stone. In my opinion, it is the best pure fantasy book ever written.

18. Jhunter

Yeah, I have all of Robbin Hobb's books. Good stuff.

19. Jhunter

I have read A Song of Ice and Fire more times than I can count. Mostly because George takes so long to write his installments. I always have to re-read the series when a new book comes out. But the other things you have mentioned sound intriguing. Thanks for the heads up.

20. Ross M Kitson

Ross M Kitson New Member

I'd second the recommendation for Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth as I've just read it! Cugel is a great character. Currently on Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant trilogy. Very literary. The Amber series by Zelaney is good too as is Moorcock, which I'm sure you've read.

21. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Kushiel's Legacy series if you have not already read them. They are by Jacqueline Carey. Not necessarily in the 'high fantasy' genre, but dang good reads nonetheless.

22. Jhunter

Yeah, those are pretty good. It has been awhile though; I should dig them out again.