1. Derekhhh

Derekhhh New Member

A job that can be taken over by a gang for illegal means

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Derekhhh, Sep 1, 2016.

Hey all,

My protagonist works at some job, and he has a father who is powerful in crime. The protagonist wants out of crime and the father agreed to get him this job instead of working for him. But The father secretly is taking over this business to be used for illegal something or other.

He sends the protagonist to deliver something from this business to another. Also, a new, shady manager is hired into the company.

Also, the protagonist is being stripped of his potential and being pushed down subtly, and unbeknownst to him the father gave instructions to the bad guys in the company to make sure the protagonist isn't able to rise up or be given any responsibilities. Basically he wants to keep him thinking he's worthless, somehow.

The protagonist later learns that the business is doing illegal activity and he's helping, and rebels against the father, etc.

So my questions I'd like help with are:
    - What kind of job could he do? I was thinking maybe working at a factory for some really mundane job.
    - In what way could the business change to help some illegal thing. IE: helping to give parts to a drug maker or something.

I'd really appreciate the help!

2. Scot

Scot Senior Member

Waste recycling: Your protagonist is set up by his father as the 'manager' and thinks he's running a legit business, but the foreman runs the sorting lines where illegal migrants sift through household rubbish extracting bank statements, expired credit cards, utility bills, etc. All the sort of stuff that enables identity theft and fraud.

Terathorn likes this.
  3. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

You can have him join a legitimate delivery business that his father uses to hide drugs, smuggle people with.
    A law firm that's used mainly to keep his father's people out of prison.

Terathorn and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

A tailors or other place in textiles would be a perfect place to sew drugs, fake IDs or other small stuff into seams and false pockets.
    I've even heard of drugs being put inside laptops before so he could work in a computer repair shop and laptops are brought in, drugs placed inside, taken away or laptops already containing whatever are passed onto someone new when 'fixed'.

christinacantwrite and Terathorn like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Pretty much anything can be used for illegal means if you put your mind to it

a homelessness shelter /soup kitchen which is being used to recruit young girls (or boys) into prostituition
    a garage/scrap yard which is running as a chop shop
    a barbers which is a front for a drug operation
    a second hand/junk shop running as a front for buying and selling stolen goods
    a green grocers where the drugs are delivered in solution inside frozen watermelons

all of the above are based on real life cases

Terathorn and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  6. Derekhhh

Derekhhh New Member

Great ideas guys, I'll either use one of these or think of something similar. I appreciate it!

7. Derekhhh

Derekhhh New Member

One more thing I might add - I think the child recruiting thing would work best as this is a film script and it would evoke the most emotion from the audience. But other than that, any other ideas that are more warranting of revenge than drug smuggling? Maybe something about killing or depriving human rights.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

theres the very old dodge where the criminals have a "recruitment agency" promising jobs like waitresses, hair dressing, and model work to women overseas, but when they arrive they find they are working as forced prostitutes or slaves

9. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

You want something really disturbing? Meat procession that is also used for organ harvesting, keeping and smuggling

10. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Local government.

Lifeline likes this.
  11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Restaurants and bars are the best cover for your dirty money.

Down here, Brighton, the real bad guys don't even open up. I never get an Argentine steak, waiters all round the corner somewhere, having a good time without me.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.