1. Frost

Frost Active Member

So Im going to boarding next term

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Frost, Jun 8, 2007.

Im really quite intimidated. Im going to be 6 months behind, doing Pure Maths, Astrophysics and Higher english. Plus my semester subjects. Im going skipping the rest of the grade Im in now. Most of all, I go in like four weeks. Anyone else been to boarding school? Care to share your experiences?

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have never been in boarding school, although I have had the threat of it a few times when I was in my teenage years lol......
    But goodluck with it Frost, I am sure you will do fine.

~Torana

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I've had two friends whisk their way to boarding school.

My best friend in year 7 left to board at St Hilda's in Perth. She actually enjoyed it, made an abundance of friends and arch enemies but that always occurs in girlworld. She told me she found the work to be very challenging but she was able to pull herself through it, I don't believe it was the actual content that was difficult to cope with but the sheer amount. There's usually alot of support on campus if you really need it, like chaplains or house leaders, my friend was already quite independent so she didn't really require their services- but it's always comforting to know that there's someone there to talk to. Fortunately boarding wasn't always about work,work,work, she used to tell me all the time about all the cool things she gets to do because of the school; they're always allowed out to riot on weekends, they take excursions to shopping centres and cinemas and whatnot, they have a bunch of formals with different schools- due to the whole brother-sister school thing. There's also a bunch of opportunities to take a hold of regarding education and sport- which are usually not offered anywhere else- especially in remote public schools (as I had found living in Port Hedland for 15 years).

As for my other friend, now this might have more relevance to you as you're a guy. My friend began boarding when he was 13, he went to Guildford Grammar, (I believe that's the spelling), an all boys school in Perth until year 11. He said, overall, he loved it although I know through conversations with his Mum that boarding caused him to become very homesick and that the sheer amount of snobbish arseholes attending his school was at times overwhelming. Of course he eventually got over the whole homesick- gawd these people I board with are pricks- thing in about a year. He told me that the school was able to give him opportunities and was able to allow him to try things that he never would have been able to back in Hedland. He was always a great swimmer and was able to engage in alot more challenging- competition based activities when attending Guildford. Through Guildford he became (by memory) state champion swimmer (senior level) and also became a key member of the school's senior water polo team- water polo now replacing his love of merely swimming laps, lol. Like my best friend, he wasn't really the academic type but he always had a positive attitude towards education and through trying hard was able to pull his way through each year (you Frost seem like the academic type so if my two friends can do it you certainly can as well- with ease most probably).

All in all you should find your time boarding quite an experience where you’ll learn vital life skills and coping strategies that most of us would take our entire lives to grasp. As for the whole- first day- jitters- don’t worry, they go away after the first day when you’re given a tour of your campus and introduced to the prime members who run the school and your year.
    I wish you luck Frosty boy and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Can't offer any help, there are no boarding schools anywhere near me. So I'll just say good luck, and I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Cheers

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

Ah Eoz thanks for the words! Very insightful indeed! My dad went to boarding school as well, but it was far different from his time to this time. But yeah. Thanks for that. The school Im going to is co-ed(girls and boys) so thats a good upside, and I know a couple of guys there already.
    Thanks for the support everyone!

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Aw, your a smarty so you'll do fine!