1. Nihil

Nihil New Member

Could this premise work for a fantasy story despite going away from the basics?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Nihil, Jun 15, 2012.

I was thinking of writing a story based around the concept of what if the typical children's fantasy happens for real. (gain magical powers and equipment to fight off a dragon in a fantasy world the size of Switzerland) However, at the end of the journey they lose their powers and get sent back home. (It takes all their powers to slay the dragon) Ten years later the kids involved in this fantasy would find that one by one they each got their powers back (no strings attached with supposedly no call from some higher power to go fight a great threat) With this in mind the basic premise of this is what would kids involved in a fantasy journey as kids do if they regained their abilities when they become adults?

So far i have three characters written down.

A cynnical over weight person who spends his life taking care of a parent with MS and feels restricted. Longing for the good O'l glory days he thinks of the fantasy world often out of nostalgia since he barely hears from his friends anymore. (had the power of a monster companion who could transform into other forms based on how much stronger it got. Equipment wise he just had an amulet that acts as portal to the fantasy world, an armband to store the essence of the slain to power up his companion.)

An overly passionate music enthusiast who wants to further study music but is restricted to a job at a diner where he isn't getting paid enough. Tensions build between him and his parents as he doesn't have a clear path in life and in their opinion has wasted his time in university and done poorly. He is also at a loss because barely anyone agrees with his sense of social justice. He feels powerless to change the course of his life. (had the power to summon monsters and activate magic from a deck of cards that contained the spells within. He also carried a staff with a golden eagle mounted at the top of it. Used for channeling the magic within the cards. Carried an armband that held his deck of cards on his wrist.

A video game enthusiast with a heart of gold, spends most of his time playing video games at home while debating on if he should join the navy or not. Missing the feeling of being a hero like he was back when he was a kid he plays video games to try and relive his past and try to get the same feeling to return. This has only worked to a point and he thinks that perhaps the feeling of heroism would return if he joined the army. (had the ability to transform into a Knight in full plated armor. He had the ability to cast healing and holy related magic attacks. His other equipment included a magic sword that glowed of pure energy and a shield that could change its size.)

Is there any way this premise could work?

(thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read my post)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Nihil

Nihil New Member

thanks for the advice. I only asked about concepts because i wanted to move away from the save the world from evil formula. Anyway thanks again :)

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Agreed.

5. Silhouette

Silhouette New Member

I will say that so far it doesn't sound like you really have a plot. They get their powers back and don't have a higher calling...so what's the problem? There should be some kind of goal or problem to solve, even if this is a character study and not really an 'action' piece.

6. Nihil

Nihil New Member

Thats a fair comment. I just got the idea yester after someone i know went on a rant about how people don't care enough. A thought popped into my head figuring "if he got super powers we'd all be screwed!" With this in mind there was a few possibilities i could try.
    1. Have the mage oriented character try and fix all the world's problems on his own but take it too far.
    2. Have the Mage oriented character try to convince the other main characters to abandon their real world lives and return to the other world.
    3. Have each of the main characters abuse their abilities for personal gain.
    4. Have the protagonists go on a huge nostalgia trip by fighting to save the world again and (with more cast members) some realising that perhaps what they did as children wasn't as glorious as they remember it to be.
    5. Go for a complete character study on how these abilities affect the minds of these boys.

anywyay thanks again everyone. Well i better pick a plot and go with it. Nvm i might incorporate them all.