1. Maru Taka

Maru Taka New Member

Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maru Taka, Feb 14, 2014.

Well, after having signed up a while ago and reading here and there in the different subforums, I thought I better introduce myself.

I first came here with the idea to get some help in my writings. In the meantime I have read the rules and understand the few requirements needed before actually being allowed to ask for help.
    I fully understand and am not opposed to these requirements. As it makes sense that reading other users' stories and reviewing them might actually help processing your own thought in a different way.

One thing you might need to consider is that English is not my native language, and although I make the effort of checking my spelling and looking up the appropriate words to use in a given context, I know by now I will -by habit- write the usual error. Feel free to correct me.

Now, in my younger years I have written quite some stories. Mostly fantasy and science-fiction. Although in those days little did I know about science. So, let's say it was mostly fiction containing whatever a pre-teen to teenager has of knowledge related to science.
    During the years, this written story-telling kind of faded away and I got more and more attracted by visuals. From my first pay check I bought a video camera, and few years later invested most of my time into learning computer graphics and animation.

Still, the fire for telling stories kept burning and eventually I started to make short films and animations with the little knowledge I had. Most of those stories never to be seen on paper, as they went directly from my mind to imagery on video tapes.
    For some reasons, I actually cannot recall, I skipped a few years and ended up in the digital era of the next millenium.
    With the renewed need of storytelling I now focused mainly on computer animations, but this time allowed myself to enjoy the process of preparing the work by doing some research and actually writing down the story. Not that the quality of the work would increase by doing so ... but just for the fun of it.

Fast forward to today, about to turn 44, I feel my inspiration hasn't been what it was. Or it's just the case I need to train my brain again into thinking differently and look at things from a different perspective in order to find inspiration in whatever detail a grown-up takes for granted.

I am not exactly sure I made my point with all the above.
    Let's just say I subscribed here not perse to become a (better) writter or even talk about the detailed process of writing.
    No, I actually came here to remodel my grey matter to allow to rejuvenate my inspiration.
    Although I understand it's not the main purpose of this forum, I hope I am still welcome.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Maru Taka! :)

I turn 44 on March 13th, so we have something in common, yes? :oops: I see you've already had a look at the rules well enough to have an opinion on them, so we'll forgo those formalities. Your English looks pretty damned good to me from the above example. Perhaps a few idiomatic quirks, but those are just tiny bits of fine tuning. Best of luck in your endeavors and may your stay with us be long and fruitful. :D

Wrey

3. Maru Taka

Maru Taka New Member

Talking of fruit, thanks for the welcome basket. I think I'll have some of that chocolate right away.
    My wife's birthday is March 13th, so we actually do have things in common.

To be honest, I had to look up what "idiomatic quirks" actually meant. I surely wouldn't mind for these to be pointed out, as I probably won't notice them myself.