1. MalDaydreamer

MalDaydreamer New Member

Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MalDaydreamer, Oct 14, 2015.

Can you have writers block writing a personal introduction? 'Cause I'm having an awfully hard time. So I'm just going to start typing and hope for the best. I will not be held responsible for any nonsensical prose written below.

So...I'm a really shy homemaker and mother of an amazing little boy from St. Louis, MO. Go Cards! Yeah, OK, maybe not the best day for cheering the home team. :bigoops: I've read forums since forums existed (I'm looking at you CompuServe!), but have never posted. Seriously, never. Did I mention I'm painfully shy? Just checking.

I can hear it now "So, why are you here, Mal?" Good question! I'm a little embarrassed by the answer, though. I've read books, well, since I could read books. I lived multiple lifetimes in my head fueled by books. Just ask my poor parents to describe my behavior through the Jane Austen phase. No Ken in my Barbie collection, it was Mr Darcy all the way. I grew up, though, and tried my darnedest to be a 'normal, responsible adult' and managed pretty well. Had a great career for a decade until I had my son and decided to stay home with him. Well, he's started school full time - Holy Crap! - and now I'm bored.

OK, onto writing. For those of you still paying attention, here's where it starts getting embarrassing. I have been an RP gamer for a long, long time. When I started, it was your run of the mill munchkin hobo killer kind, but my husband, a.k.a. The Hubs, changed that a decade ago. He ran me a solo campaign and I was hooked. He'd say that's the only reason I married him. Well, since I started gaming with him, I grew into daydreaming all the different scenes. Not much different from how I would daydream and expand on scenes I'd read or watched elsewhere, truthfully, but different in that what we created was our own. Well, after a particularly emotionally intense session with The Hubs, I just couldn't stop thinking about how it played out. Tangent warning! I most likely have a mild to moderate case of Maladaptive Daydreaming - MalDaydreamer, get it?! - and if I get really hooked on something it can be days before I return to 'normal.' So, this scene had me so completely and utterly distracted I decided to just write it out. "Brain diarrhea" I called it. I emailed it to The Hubs along with some self deprecating remarks on my writing style and could finally return to the pile of laundry that needed folded. Well, The Hubs, who has taken more creative writing classes than I could ever imagine, loved it and wanted more. So, here I am! I'm not done with my first novel yet, but it's a work in progress.

So, that's me. I promise I will try and not just lurk and wallflower myself here. I'm kinda proud of what I've accomplished given I sorta just started and look forward to expanding my skills. Cheers!:bigsmile:

2. AmericanBoys

AmericanBoys New Member

Hi Mal! Great to have you here. No need to be embarrassed about roleplaying at all, it's a valid form of creativity!
    I'm brand new here too, just wanted to say hi and welcome. If you need anything let me know!

3. MalDaydreamer

MalDaydreamer New Member

Thanks for the welcome, AmericanBoys. Nice to see I'm not the only newbie. I hope we will read some of each others work in the not to distant future.

2 posts! A new record for me. :bigsmile:

Mal

4. Morgan Stelbas

Morgan Stelbas Active Member

Welcome Mal!
    I'm new here myself, but you sound like a really interesting person, so I would be totally interested in reading what you write!