1. Trung Mai

Trung Mai New Member

Ho to Find the Enthusiasm to Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Trung Mai, Sep 13, 2012.

I am currently writing a novel. I usually start around 6PM and work until 10ish. I find my energy levels are very low and that I'm not enthusiastic about writing. I get tired, unsure what to write next, frustrated and then I stop. Inspiration is also lacking. I very much want to be excited and having fun while writing but it just isn't there. How does one circumvent this?

Oh lol title typo

2. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

there's no way to circumvent it, sorry to say. I'd advise either putting your work aside for a day or two, letting your creative juices simmer, re-gain strength, OR just plowing through it no matter how much you don't want to. Another thing to try is to spice up what you're writing, or switch up to a whole new story, something fresh and outside of your usual comfort zone.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

You may want to try writing at a different time of day. Writing in the evening, after a full day of work or school or whatever, means you're starting out at a low energy level. Try going to bed early and getting up early to write.

As far as the rest - it's entirely up to you. If you wait for inspiration, expect writing to always be 'fun' - you'll never finish anything. You should enjoy writing overall - but there's a lot of hard, frustrating work involved in getting to the finished product.

4. Steph4136

Steph4136 Senior Member

I agree with getting up earlier to do some writing. When I worked full time this is what I used to do. Come evening, I'm done and the creative juices just aren't flowing at that time of night, especially now that I have two young children.

5. Sulla

Sulla Member

I would try setting word goals instead of going by time. A word goal makes you write a certain amount. If you write between a certain amount of hours then you are likely to just sit there and not type anything. If your creativity is dead with a word goal you are then forced to complete that word goal, which means you might hurry up and get to the business of writing instead of just sitting there. Furthermore, a writing goal will make you feel like you accomplished something.

You always want to start slow. Your writing goal should be achievable fairly easily.

The other advice that I can give is to try creative exercises. Try to write about what interests you. Where your passion is. That means you might want to change the novel a bit. Are you bored because of the all the work or the actual piece you are writing? If it's the piece, tweak it so you are more interested.

6. MazMaric

MazMaric New Member

For me, I don't start writing until 8pm, and I turn off the lights in the room (and TV and phone), and all I have is a candle burning. Otherwise I get distracted easy. Thats me typing on a laptop tho, if I was using a pen I would probably have the light on.

7. Danvok

Danvok Senior Member

I find that not starting too late is important.-- you won't have the energy to get the job done right. Best to do it when you do.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I would reboot your writing time, sometimes that's the best alternative. Read books from a genre that you are writing about and see if that works.

9. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributing Member Contributor

In addition to what everyone else has said, sometimes I find it helpful to watch an exciting show, movie, or even an action scene from a movie to help me get into the mood of writing a particular scene.

10. Dylan_Anderson

Dylan_Anderson New Member

I wouldn't necessarily agree with what others are saying about the timing, it's about what suits the individual. Personally I'm a night-owl and write very late at night. If I try writing first thing in the morning (and I've tried) I'm useless. Having said that maybe the hours your working now aren't write for you. mix it up and see what fits.

Enthusiasm or lack there of, is something you just need to power through. If you're writing a full length novel I find I hit a wall about 30K words in and just want to give up. I push on though and soon find my rhythm again around the fifty thousand mark.

I recommend getting a book called "No Plot? No Problem!" by Chris Baty. It's a guide to writing 50K words in 30 days which I have never tried myself but its written with a true love of writing and a sense of fun. Whenever I feel like giving up on it all I dip into this book and it soon brings back my enthusiasm and love of writing.

11. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution Member

I find my only enthusiasm is driven by my interest in my own idea. Write about something you're passionate about and hopefully you will feel that writing spark.

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

My thought, stop the schedule. Writing should be something you do because its your passion. Scheduling times and word counts and all that tends to kill the passion for me. So take a break. Give yourself a chance to get inspired all over again. And one of the things that I find helps me, is keeping a note of ideas. Ideas happen at any time, when I'm writing and when I'm not. But the one thing they all have in common is that they motivate me to write. So keep a track of them when you're at work say or in the garden, and let them simmer. Chances are the next time you write, you'll be able to take one out and work on it instead. Even if it doesn't fit in your WIP.

Cheers, Greg.