Holding doors and such

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VM80, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

With things like this you are entering into a massive other world of problems and prejudices. Religion has something to do with it places like Saudi Arabia, but in other countries you are dealing with an underlying culture that emphasizes social differences. Both of which are hard to break away from.

2. Heather

Heather New Member

Yes, that is a point actually, quite often it’s just general politeness to hold a door open for someone, male or female – simple things seem to cheer me day, and probably so many others. And thank you.

Yes, I’m well aware it is more than just one factor which hinders the development of various countries, but gender inequality is a large one – as I said, sexism leads to half of the population being treat as lesser people, and it is, in my opinion, one of the first and foremost issues which needs to be tackled (although not the only one).

3. Lemex

I understand that. I'm just saying it'll be a hard mountain to climb.

4. Heather

Heather New Member

So was abolishing the slave trade, but it happened.

5. Lemex

Very true. :)

6. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I keep doors open for anyone when it's necessary, and I very much appreciate it when people (men do that mostly, I guess) do that for me. It doesn't happen very often, though.
    I'm definitely not the type of person to get upset when it happens- I rather get upset when I obviously need help doing something and everyone ignores me. Like yesterday, I had to climb in the train having a backpack on my back, a heavy fold up bike and a big bag in my arms. It was difficult to get in and just to carry it all, but no one asked if I needed help. Sniff. :p

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

^Some people are so rude. That annoys me too, when someone is clearly struggling yet they get no help.

Yesterday proved there are some nice people out there. Me and my sister went to buy chocolate with a voucher but it was just under the voucher's value so we had to get something else to make it up. We were over by 5p and we didn't have any change, only notes. So the dude who was paying for his stuff on the till next to us gave us 5p. And he refused the offer of a Freddo as thanks too. What a nice guy. :)

8. Lemex

Stories like this really do warm my cold, obsidian heart.

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Hahahaha. :D

10. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

To me, it's just good manners.
    Sometimes when I'm in a grumpy mood I'd give them a dirty look, but I'll give anyone that look when I'm being a grumpy-stump.

11. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

I'm female and I can open doors for myself just fine but I love it when a gentleman makes the gesture to hold a door open for me. Besides, it's just manners and applies to all people regardless of male/female. I'll happily hold a door open for someone because it's a nice thing to do - simple as that. Also, it's nice to have that contact with people when you stop to say thank you and offer a sparkling smile. One other little flicker in my mind is how many romances may have started out from a small gesture such as a door being held open, or someone picking something up for another person when their hands are full.... there goes the romantic in me! lol.
    Giving up a seat for a pregnant woman is a little more that manners in my opinion. It is hard work being pregnant sometimes and having a seat on a train etc can make a huge difference to the level of discomfort and in some cases the health and safety of the mother and baby. So, yes, it's good manners but also it's just nice appreciating that some people have a tougher time and offering them a break.
    I feel the same way about disabled parking spaces and I never ever park in them because I can walk fine but someone else may not be able to. It really annoys me when people don't respect baby parking and you have a newborn in the pouring rain at the back of a car park when someone who just can't park goes into the large spaces close to the shops because it's easier!

12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

See, 'baby parking' annoys me ;) What about 'elderly parking'? Or 'I'm just getting over the flu' parking? Or 'God help me, I just got done with a 4-year-old's birthday party!' parking? If it's bad weather, don't take the kid out in it. (And yes, I'm a mom so I know what it's like.)

13. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

That's the great thing about opinions. We can all have one :D

14. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Another thing I find interesting is "Expectant Mother" parking. namely, define "expectant mother". I'm expecting to be a mother eventually, does that count? :D

I kid, I kid :cool:

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Complaining about something nice done for someone else seems to me to be the heart of selfishness. What do I care if someone with a baby gets a special parking place? Maybe the mother had a c-section and her abdominal muscles were cut open and she could use the courtesy. Maybe not. But am I going to begrudge her a closer parking place in either case? No. It's nice to see something considerate done for another person.

16. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

The reserved spaces don't bother me - I always park in the back of a parking lot and walk, anyway, because a) I like a spot in a less crowded space because I'm tired of door and shopping cart dings on my car from inconsiderate people and b) I'd rather save myself the headache of fighting for a parking spot and just walk and get the exercise instead :cool:

17. shadowwalker

Oh, it's 'nice' - but what about the others I mentioned? Don't the elderly deserve such niceties? Or someone just getting over an illness, or having a bad back day? What's next - multiple children parking? It's not like a new mother is some kind of invalid. And after all, stores do it for marketing purposes, not to be courteous. I don't see my view as being at all 'selfish' or why it would be - I see it as pointing out the absurdity of it.

1 person likes this.
  18. CosmicHallux

CosmicHallux New Member

The problem is when mothers start getting pregnant just for the baby parking.

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

LOL. I hadn't considered that point!

20. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Really, there's actual designated parking for mommies? Weird...here we have handicap parking spots, but that's it.

Oh, except for outside stores like Fresh and Easy, where they have "hybrid car only" parking. Which makes me giggle.

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Working at a grocery store, people take offense at common courtesy ALL THE TIME. :mad: When customers start bagging their groceries if there's no bagger and I offer to help them, they back away with a snooty 'Well, excuse me!' I'm trying to help you, seriously.

22. Wryture

Wryture New Member

Watch as you get replaced by the self check outs. Fools tbought I would tell the truth about which vegetables were organic?!?! Muhahahaha.

23. shadowwalker

Oh, I love self check-out! Not only is it faster but I don't have to get involved in inane chit-chat. (Okay, yeah - I hate shopping, so... ;))

24. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Dealt with the same people, I feel your pain. Once while fixing the bottle room a soccer mom decided to give me a piece of her mind, insult me, and demand to see a manager after I messed up turning the machines on the first try. Then I reset the machine on and it started to work. Then I smiled at her and walked away.

Never got attitude when I offered to take their empty carts, however.

Also hated it when I asked Paper/Plastic and they say "it doesn't matter" in a rude tone. If it doesn't matter, ma'am, excuse me while I kick your groceries out the window. Oh, and have a nice day.

25. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I always open the door for people, even the teachers. Especially if it was the girl i liked ;). But sadly she keeps avoiding me for some odd reason so the response would probably be similar i suppose. I don't understand girls. Most of the time i don't try. Recently i have, but i think im just building up more stress that i don't need. But i always open the door for people, i enjoy helping others. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.