1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Tales of the Twin Tails

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Keitsumah, Dec 26, 2013.

Tales of the Twin Tails
    A Keitsumah Production
    Inspired by Tales of VenShara
    The land of the Twin Tails is a vast one. Some even believe that it spans the entire planet, but few explorers have ever dared venture beyond the borders of the Seven Kingdoms. In a lush place full of magic, unusual creatures, dense forests and floating ships, it is a paradise to behold.

But it is not mankind that we will be journeying with in this tale, for the animals have more to say than most would at first assume. The Legend of the Twin Tails is not man's originally, but one of the animal's, and it is with them that we will be exploring the very land of their birth.

Setting:

You will begin in the heart of the Dellwood forest- a place where all creatures have been seen at some point or other, despite the fact that it may not be their otherwise natural habitat- to gather around in the Great Clearing, where the last sighting of the Twin Tails was recorded in order to celebrate another year of plenty for all. Sphinxes, Gryphons, Kelpie, Jaculi, are just a few of the creatures that can be found in the Dellwood forest. In fact, any mythical being can be found if one just takes the time to look. It is one of these creatures that you will be playing as during the celebrations.

Want to find an unusual creature to play as? Click the link below for some ideas!
    http://www.mythicalcreatureslist.com/index.php

Rules of Combat
    To add a higher degree of chance and risk to the game, I as the GM will be rolling a dice for each attack or defense attempt (Read: during any combat post you only get one move- as for any other kind of post you can do as you please. I would like each combat move to be detailed and have your character think of the way it may turn out, but then you stop the post before you get any results). Also, our characters can be killed, so don't think that you can get away with just about anything! The choices you make In-game will also affect the way other characters act around you, and will decide what will happen next in the story.

Oh, and above all, no God-moding please. It makes the game more fun for everyone.

Stats and Attributes:
    Stats are determined by your creature's size. Be they large or small, their speed and power is also affected. Note: a large creature attacking a small creature will usually come to the conclusion that the large creature will win in a battle of brute force. But what if your creature, despite being small, has a poison attribute? They might still win. Battles are all about chance and skill, so get creative with your character's attribute!

(Read: you only get one attribute, and that will affect the kinds of moves you are limited to. All creatures can claw, bite, or charge at one another -those are normal attributes, but if you choose a poison attribute, you can't just blow ice at someone. I will, however, make exceptions for special kinds of creatures that naturally have multiple attributes).

Large (aka: Heavy class):
    • Health: 20
    • Speed: 10
    • Strength: 20
    • Defense: 15
    • Attribute: 5
    Medium (aka: Middle Class):
    • Health: 15
    • Speed: 15
    • Strength: 15
    • Defense: 15
    • Attribute: 10

Small (aka: Light Class):
    • Health: 10
    • Speed: 20
    • Strength: 10
    • Defense: 10
    • Attribute: 15

Now, these stats are what you begin with. Do well in battle, or even outside of it, and I will give points accordingly, then you may choose where to place those points and further strengthen your chances in battle. Attributes in particular are affected by the number of points they have, as with each five points you put into it, you gain yet another ability, but those have to be based on a specific type (poison, ice, earth, water, etc). This does not count regular attacks, so reserve abilities for special-type moves.

However, you must first PM me about your new ability ideas for me to approve of it!

A Game of Chance:

This is where the dice come in. Depending on what number your attack or defense is, I will role a dice with equal sides to that number, as well as an additive or negative chance depending on circumstances. Example: if rocks are falling from the sky, each character will need to do a defensive check to see if they are going to be struck by one of the falling rocks. But don't worry -I will be handling all the numbers, but I figured I may as well explain just how this works.

Character Template:
    Now, let's get started on creating your creatures!

Name:
    Class:
    (heavy, medium, or light)
    Stats: (just copy and paste your class stats here)
    Appearance:
    Attribute:
    (Number of Abilities is determined by class and the points your Attribute has! Heavy gets one attribute, medium gets 2, small gets 3 to begin with.)
    -Ability 1:
    -Ability 2:
    -Ability 3:

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Approved

3. Keitsumah

Chapter 1:
    There's Death on the Wind

It was a quiet night -a night most would have otherwise deemed normal. The leaves rustled in a cool summer breeze, and the moon hung high in the sky, stars winking in and out of existence in the heavens.

Then
    something stirred. A tiny pink nose quivered beneath the leaves of a hawthorn bush. Beady black eyes glinted with wariness, and then the head of a mouse emerged into the light. The creature stared up at the moon and watched it for several seconds, its whiskers quivering. Wings shivered against it's back, silver in shadow and a ghostly grey in the light as the creature stepped out. A Yu-Niao.

Rising up onto it's
    hind-legs, the tiny creature let out a small squeak, then suddenly brayed like a goat. The winged rat brayed three more times, seeming to gain confidence in it's voice with each call before a shadow passed over the clearing. Talons and a hooked beak gleamed in the light, and the dull thud of wings could be heard. The cry of an eagle shattered the air in response before a four-legged creature landed in the grass.

"'ello Griffon," The Yu-Niao squeaked, nervously hopping back a pace at a glare from the half-lion, half-eagle predator, "Seems tonight is the night. Would you break tha' Law?"

The griffon snorted, his nares flaring in outrage. "If there were no Law against me simply having a meal on this night other than the plants of the earth, then i would. But I am not one to disappoint the Twin Tails. He has enough to deal with -what with the humans running amok and cutting down our trees and destroying our nests. To break such a simple law would bring disfavor to myself, and besides, I have already eaten." The griffon licked the curve of his beak with a snake-like tongue, and the Yu-Niao shivered in revulsion.

"Tch, well at least yo-oou did. My stomach wails for a mere scrap of flesh. Have yo-oou not se-eeen the state of the hu-uuman settlements these days?" a new voice interrupted, and the griffon and Yu-Niao looked up to see a Kelpie standing on the large stump in the middle of the clearing. The blue, horse-like creature stepped down from his pedestal and walked with long strides on his clawed talons, the skeletal teeth jutting from his upper and lower jaw reeking of decay. Unlike a horse, which the Kelpie could take the form of, the creature looked to be more of a cross between crocodile and equine. "I am starving for a meal. Let us hope that the Twin Tails gives us go-ood news for the coming year. The last one has been . . . how should I say it?"

"Dull?" the rat squeaked, coming out of hiding to face the other two finally. The creature shrugged it's tiny, grey wings. "I don' mind dull. At least it wa' safe. My mate had a good two litters this passin' year!"

The griffon bobbed his head as if in congratulations. "We had only one chick, too small, but he has grown into a fine young fledgling. Let us see how many of your young can match wits with him when he takes to the air!"

The Kelpie whickered scornfully. "Before yo-oou two senile sky-beasts get to talking about potential grand-kin, let's get this started, shall we-ee?" And so with a node from the other two, the kelpie raised his head toward the sky, nostrils flaring to taste the clean, sharp air. Summer had only just stared, and the sweet fragrance of decaying flowers filled the clearing as the breeze grew in power to a light wind. A wind that would carry his call to the far corners of the Dellwood.

"Let all cre-eeeatures gather for the New Year's Telling!"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

The forest glistened, the glow of moonlight filtering through the treetops. Leaves littered the ground, dappling the ground in a display of dark greens and browns. A tiny mouse squeaked, scampering among the leaves. A small snake-like creature, Leal, as he was known to the other creatures, slithered quietly towards the mouse, easily blending to the leaves that it passed over. The mouse's body was so warm. So deliciously appetizing. Leal would have that mouse for dinner tonight.

The mouse scampered over to a small grassy patch in the forest, looking around in fear. It must have seen something. Still, it was no match for the quick and deadly fang of an Angont. Leal slithered around, seeing the pulse of heat coming from the young mouse's heart. The wind flew across Leal's scales, sending a shiver of pleasure down his spine. The thrill of adrenaline burned his ice-cold blood. Oh, how he loved it.

In a snap, the mouse was dead, a fang going straight through his head. Leal ate first the mouse's head, gulping it down, then came the torso. He spat out the pristine white bones, then left them to be found by some other creature. The meat and fat quickly digested as his liver and intestines expanded, and his mucous membranes grew to absorb the nutrients, all as he slithered along. An evolved, quicker digestive system than most other snakes.

Soon, Leal spotted another mouse. How delightful, dessert. Leal slithered some more, and was behind the mouse, ready to sink his fangs into it's skull, when the call of a Griffon alerted the mouse, and it scampered away. Leal hissed in frustration. That damned Griffon had done that so many damn times. Then it reminded him.

He had nearly forgotten that tonight was supposed to be the night. The night that would have been perfect, if the Twin Tails didn't have the audacity to ruin it with his arrogance. Leal wondered how long the Twin Tails would last if Leal could sink his teeth into him.

Speak of the devil. Leal let out a small serpentine hiss, before slithering towards the noise. Who knows, maybe something interesting would happen, and Leal would get his chance for revenge. The Griffon was always scaring off Leal's prey with his annoying shrieks, creating so many starving nights for the poor snake. Oh yes, the Griffon would shriek when Leal sunk his fangs into his leg. Just 20 minutes of pain, then the Griffon would die. The snake hissed in anticipation as he slithered, his scarlet red eyes brimming with murder on his mind. He knew he wouldn't be able to kill the Griffon tonight, but perhaps he would try and follow the Griffon to his home. He'd sink his fangs into his newborn as well, then watch the whole family writhe in pain. The delicious thoughts cycled through his head, no matter how unrealistic. Leal's eyes grew a shade more red, if that were even possible, and he made for the gathering.

Keitsumah likes this.
  5. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

A water nymph sped down a small stream with a pale child-nymph in her arms. The nymph's breaths came in fearful gasps, large bubbles floating to the surface of the water every few feet. Woodland creatures looked at her curiously as she swam by, but she didn't care. The life of her family depended on her speed. Finally, the nymph spotted what she searching for and sprang out of the water near a tree with green and pink leaves. She knelt before the tree and held out the unconscious child-nymph in her arms.
    "Ancient Healer! I beg your aid." The water nymph gurgled. "My brother swam too far up river and found himself in a human net. I think it was poisoned. Please save him! I'll pay whatever cost. Even if it be my own life."

The tree's branches dropped to its side, revealing it's fiery-center. Her four eyes opened and peered down at the child who was struggling for every breath. She bent down and scooped the young nymph into her arm-like branches. Her leaves rustled encouragingly, and pink blossoms fell upon the face of the worried sister.
    "End your tears." Yavii said. Her voice was deep and yet feminine. The tree nymph's tone soothed the soul of the worried sister. "Your unoro will not perish this day." She took the hand of the child and placed it on her center, where the wood glowed red from her burning heart. The fire took hold of the boy's hand and licked it's way up his arm and towards the rest of his body. The sister gasped in fear but restrained herself from interrupting the healing. For several minutes the boy glowed with the healing fire.

Finally the fire faded and young water nymph opened his eyes, his health restored. The sister clapped and gurgled with glee. She grabbed her brother up in her arms and hugged him fiercely. Yavii smiled as she watched the sibling's joy.
    The nymph finally set her brother down and looked up into the eyes of the healing nymph. Her jovial features waned, however, when she noticed that the tree nymph's fire had dimmed. Yavii noted her look and lay a thick branch across her center. "Your concern is unnecessary." Yavii said in reply to the unspoken question. "My ele'ife will replenish itself in time."
    "How can I repay you? What can I give to show you my thanks?" The water nymph asked.
    "There is no physical way for you to repay my actions. However, I have given your unoro a second chance at life. Make sure he does not waste it; and your debts will be repaid."

"Ah, New Year is upon us." Yavii said as she heard the familiar call. "Go now. Take away your family to the Telling."
    The water nymph bowed gratefully. "Spirits watch over you, Ancient Healer." Then she and her sibling disappeared into the water of the stream. Yavii's branches rustled with pleasure at the blessing and she made her way to the gathering.

Translation of Yavii's Language:
    Unoro- male kin
    Ele'ife- Fire

6. Razzles

Razzles Active Member

Arven sat as still as one of the great oaks that surrounded him. His eyes scanned to the forest in front of him, and his ears swivelled around to catch to tiny scurrying sounds that prey made when it scampered through the undergrowth. There might still be time to catch dinner before the Law came into play.

Something twitching caught his eye. A young rabbit, fat and juicy looking. Silently, Arven crept closer, his paws practically floating across the ground. As he got closer, the rabbit's ears pricked up, sensing something. Maybe it was the drop in temerature as the icy creature came in for the kill. It sat, sniffing the air, as Arven came closer and closer. Finally, it decided to bolt, but it was too late. His powerful jaws locked around the rabbits head, and crunched down on it. The rabbit stopped struggling. Hungrily, he tore into the carcass, savouring the delicious flesh.
    "Brave of you to hunt so close to the time of the law."
    Arven spun around snarling, the blood of the rabbit turning his lips red.
    "Cheilem," he said with mock respect "fancy meeting you here."
    The leader of Arven's old pack growled, sensing his sarcasm.
    "I suppose we'll see you at the telling," Cheilem murmured "goodbye, Arven." He bounded through the forest, calling for the pack to follow. Arven gulped down the rest of the rabbit, and stretched. He looked up at the sky, and lay down to wait. In an hour, he heard the call:

Arven stood, and bound through the forest for the Telling.

7. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

A land far far away, in a time long forgotten.
    The dark part of the woods was quiet. Seeming to be empty to the untrained eye, though very few of the eyes in Dellwood was untrained. Everywhere there was small creatures scurrying about doing their best to stay hidden, and bigger creatures creeping about, looking for an easy meal. The creatures that couldn't hide was eaten or starved to death from lack of prey. So the wildlife evolved, slowly making the creatures stealthier and stealthier. There were of course a few exceptions to this. Those were the ones who had found other ways to survive. The flaming bird Zahar was one. He flew through the forest unafraid of potential predators. Nobody would risk eating pure flame. It was for those reasons Zahar could fly through the forest, indifferent about the eyes that was following him.

The phoenix finally reached his destination. A special tree which grew the aromatic branches he used, to build his home. He quickly gathered as many twigs as he could and headed towards his almost finished nest. The nest was in a tall tree beside a river. As soon as Zahar arrived he began the slow task of weaving the twigs into the nest. Finally he could step back and admire his work. The golden bird lay down in his new home. The flames on his wings flared setting a bit of the nest on fire. A wonderful scent filled the air. The perfume of the burnt wood lulled the Phoenix to sleep.

The call of a griffon was what woke him up. He stamped out the fire and bristled his feathers.

The call pumped the phoenix into action, as he set of towards its source.

8. Keitsumah

Within mere moments of the Kelpie's cry, the clearing was soon filled with every variety of creature. Imps, Drakes, Kelpies, Pheonixes, Griffons, Nymphs, Basilisks, and Unicorns -to name a few- gathered en masse regardless of the fact that one may be the predator of another. Small creatures perched on the backs of the larger, winged creatures perching high in the trees to give room for the land dwellers. The young played in whatever space was gained between the adult's legs, and there was a riot of cries and song as each greeted one another peaceably. But in the center of it all the stump remained bare, for that was where the Twin Tails would come to be, as he had every year for the past eon.

The moon nestled high in the sky, and within another few minutes was at it's zenith. The moment that it reached that point, a hot wind stirred the air despite the chill of the night, and all fell silent.

Wide-eyed, a young Chamrosh stared skyward along with everyone else as clouds began to gather on the horizon. Dark and foreboding, they blotted out the stars and charged across the heavens as if they were living things. No beast of the air had ever dared try to fly among them, and the crackle of an immense energy tingled in every creature's spine. Hairs stood on end, and feathers ruffled fretfully. Every now and then a young one would cry as if in fear, and would be hushed by a parent. Soon, the clouds were upon them, swirling in a circle over the clearing and blotting out every light but that of the moon. Closer and closer the clouds came to closing off the light entirely, until there was nothing but the moon and the gleam of eyes reflecting its light.

Then the darkness faded as the moon began to glow even brighter, then turned a pale gold and orange before their eyes. Light flooded down onto the stump, and creatures skittered back, the energy rising to a nearly unbearable pitch. The wind, clear and crisp, made every creature feel as if the sun was burning instead of the moon. And as they watched, the moon grew in brightness, until it threatened to blind those who dared look directly at it.

First came the song. A lullaby of undeniable beauty, even to sirens. Like a harp being strummed, it throbbed in the ear and resonated through the trees. Voice echoed along with it in the language of every creature, both new and lost. Then the near-silent rush of wings as something descended from between the clouds. A silhouette. Then the click of claws and the rustle of feathers as it landed on the stump.

The light faded, diminished as if by the inner glow of the creature that now stood before everyone. The clouds swirled away unnoticed by the crowd, for everyone's attention was now on the Twin tails.

Long, lean, and graceful, the Twin tails gazed around himself at everyone else with large, blank eyes set into a humanoid face painted into two sides; one black, one white. Deer-like ears flicked beneath a pair of antlers shaped more like a tree's branches than an elk's, all supported by a neck so slender that it seemed as if it would snap under the burden at any moment. Crouched, the muscular hindquarters of a lion flowed up into the chest and forelegs of an eagle -much like that of the griffon's. And yet despite all the similarities it had with other creatures, what set the twin tails apart from all others was just that. For behind him, a flare of gorgeous blue and green peacock feathers created a backdrop for the nearly endless coils of his second tail, which ended in a wire-haired puff.

Old beyond measure, the Twin tails glowed from within, a golden light illuminating it's otherwise white and silver fur. A creature not known to mankind other than in fairy-tales, even as they lived in a land full of creatures from such tales. Wonder and awe became things that one could see, taste, even feel in the air when in his presence.

Then it shattered. The Twin tail's face became a mask of pain, and the right half of his body dimmed, shriveled. Ribs poked from his side, his fore claw and wing shriveled, twisted until they were useless. The right eye became nothing more than a dark hollow in the side of his face, and a rattling noise issued from his throat before he collapsed, tumbling into the clearing. Creatures scattered all about him, crying out in dismay and alarm, for this had never happened before. Even when he had announced a bad year, his own health had never deteriorated as such.

Something was wrong. Utterly, terribly, wrong.

9. BrandonrockstheAM

The Gathering was a mess, with creatures here and there and everywhere, going every which way. Leal was perched on a tree branch, observing everything with a wicked eye. The Twin Tails, with all his wisdom, lying on the ground. Whether it be that he was killed/diseased, or if the year was supposedly so bad he died or whatever, Leal didn't care in the slightest. Revered like a god, but nothing to show for it! He was just an over-sized pigeon with a penchant for mystery. Leal wondered how long the flesh of the Twin Tails would take to digest in his stomach if he could get a taste of it.

Leal's eyes flashed in amazement; this was the interesting event Leal had hoped would happen! His eyes flashed once more, but in excitement as he realized that there was no law to protect the other creatures from him now. All of these creatures were now gathered near the same place. This was the perfect opportunity to take his revenge on that accursed Griffon.

Leal slid down the tree, the residue on his skin allowing him to easily move down. A few animals went past him; Leal just hissed at them. He slithered past so many animals, intent on only one thing. He would find the Griffon, and kill the nuisance. No more starving nights; Leal would feast on whatever he wanted. Given time, he'd eat all of the Griffon and his family. Leal slid his forked tongue over his fangs, tasting the deadly poison on them. No one else would take a bite, as they would succumb to the disease his poison carried. Leal would've laughed if he could.

The clever snake snuck to the bushes lining the gathering place. Within the crowd surrounding the fallen beast, Leal spotted the Griffon, standing proud, but worried, with his family. Leal slithered to the bush behind the arrogant beast, and he tensed his body, ready to leap. He'd spring from the bush, and latch onto the Griffon's leg. The Griffon would give a cry of pain, caught by surprise, then Leal would slink off. He flicked his tongue in amusement; this would be almost too easy. His eyes flashed a malicious red as he sprung from the bush.

Love to Write and Keitsumah like this.
  10. Razzles

Razzles Active Member

Arven stepped back, snarling with shock at the sight of the creature before him. This was not the Twin Tails he knew, it was not, could not, be the majestic and powerful beast who all creatures feared and obeyed. He glanced too his sides, wary of the other larger creatures that might be able to take him down in a fight. He guessed that now the Twin Tails was, well, changed, the Law would no longer be acknowledged by some of the creatures.

He looked over at Cheilem. The large he-wolf was calling his pack to him, ready to run back into his part of the forest. Arven looked back towards the Twin Tails, and a sick feeling of panicked fear rose up inside him. He felt the air around him drop suddenly in temperature. His power to freeze other creatures was coming, and he couldn't stop it.

He fought against it, trying to keep it down. He whimpered in pain as the power fought to get out, to be released. Stars danced before his eyes. No! He thought, desperately, I will not let it get out! The pain was blinding him. All he could hear was the roar of blood in his ears. He stumbled and fell. He tried to keep the power down once more, before everything went black, and his power was released.

11. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

The time seemed to slow down as the Twin tails fell. Creatures was moving in on him, while others was running away. He knew that his tears could heal anything, yet as he looked at the fallen beast before him, he hesitated. A feeling of doubt followed, new to the flaming bird. He shook his head, scared by this new feeling but determined to try. A sudden feeling of cold hit him, making him cry out in pain. The surprise sending him crashing to the ground. Something was indeed wrong, he didn't normally feel the cold.

Zahar finally emerged from his daze. To discover that a blizzard was making it's way towards him. He was up in the air and fleeing in a heartbeat. Somehow he knew that this unnatural blizzard would kill him. It would extinguish his flames, probably for good. His flight had taken him towards the dying Twin tails. Currently safe from the slowly approaching cold, Zahar settled down by the head. He would have to move soon to avoid the blizzard, but first he wanted to try healing the old creature.

Absently he tried to ask the creature what was wrong, not expecting an answer he closed his eyes. He was remembering the saddest moment he could, reaching deep into his own mind. Slowly he felt the tears coming. If it worked or not, he did not know, for he was seeing that terrible memory again. Again he felt the grief and sorrow. Now he asked himself if it was worth it. Why relive all this sorrow for something he didn't even know would work. The moment passed and Zahar opened his eyes to look at the result.

12. Keitsumah

At first Zahar didn't see any difference, but then the Twin Tails's eyes fluttered, one blank white orb finally opening to stare at him. despite the tears, it was obvious that this creature was still in great pain, and would soon die.

"Man . . ." he rattled, then hissed as the deadly creep of decaying flesh and bone spread up his throat another few inches, "Man is . . . at war." Then the Twin Tails choked, hacking and coughing. In a fit of suffering, the creature struggled to get up, but collapsed, eyes glazed. The light emanating from his body flickered, dimmed. As a god, the creature had never once looked vulnerable to the others -only benevolent and wise, and fearfully powerful when the Law was broken in his presence. To see even a god to be brought this low . . .

When the Twin Tails spoke again, his words reverberated throughout the clearing as if he had roared, and yet all heard him as only the tiniest of whispers in the back of their minds:

"Poison will spread through tree and grass.
    Water will turn to blood and ash.
    Fire will burn -each tree a star.
    Then the darkness wills rise to destroy all but the Chosen of the Alach'ar."

"Seek the heavens, and do not look to the earth.
    Man's darkness resides deep within, of which only the Light can purge.
    I have fallen, and another shall rise.
    Be they dark or bright depends all on man's . . . and animal's . . . ties."

As the last words passed his lips, the Twin Tails's body gave a great shudder, and then crumpled in on itself. The last of the light faded from his withered frame.

---

Alach'ar: Term meaning "all magical beasts".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  13. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Tanith

Through the thin veils of mist that drifted above the treetops, she could make out all the creatures in the clearing. Two-tail looked scrawny, like a shrivelled leave. Whatever misfortune had befallen him, it was taking it's toll. Just when she circled back around --she decided against landing in fear of trampling some of the smaller creatures, she spotted a snake in the grass, leaping at a Griffon and his family.

Defiler! A puff of smoke erupted from her nostrils as she clamped her wings to her side. Just above the treeline, she spread out her wings in their full width and roared, hoping to startle the poisonous pathetic little earth-worm. She was just a wing-beat away from dropping down and tossing the miserable snake back into the bushes. But she hesitated. The voice of two-tail sounded clear as day in her head, yet it had only the strength of a gruffy whisper. She gazed at the phoenix at two-tail's side. "Is he gone?"

14. Razzles

Razzles Active Member

Arven twitched where he lay on the frozen grass. He was dreaming. He dreamt of the Twin-Tails, before it had died.

In his dream, he got up from where he lay. He sat in the clearing, looking like a ghost in the moonlight. Snow was swirling around him, and yet even in the intense cold, his breath made no clouds of steam. He himself was too cold for that. He gazed around himself, the dream was so real he wondered if he had really woken up, and killed everyone with his power.

He heard a sound in front of him, and his head turned slowly round to look. A large shape, bigger than a horse, was coming towards him. He backed down a pace and a half, and pressed himself into the snow, his fur bristling along his back. The creature kept coming towards him. Finally, he could make out it's shape in the snowstorm. A long neck, large ears and antlers, two tails.

The Twin-Tails. Arven jumped back, his heart beating with surprise and fear. The magnificent beast seemed to laugh at his surprise. Though it's lips didn't move, Arven heard it's voice, clear as day.

Poison will spread through tree and grass,
    Water will turn to blood and ash,
    Fire will burn - each tree a star,
    Then the darkness will rise to destroy all but the chosen Alach'ar.

Seek the heavens, and do not look to the earth,
    Man's darkness resides deep within, of which only the Light can purge,
    I have fallen, another shall rise,
    Be they dark or bright depends all on man's and animal's ties.

The creature started to shrivel, the way it had at the telling, and it crumbled into dust.

"Wait!" cried Arven, his voice lost in the howling snowstorm. "What do you mean? Who are the chosen Alach'ar? Where are you? Come out and tell me what you mean!"

He stumbled through the storm, trying to find the Twin-Tails. What did it's prophecy mean? He shuddered at the line, fire will burn, each tree a star. Fire could melt him like ice. He didn't see what he could do against fire.

Then, his front paws slipped, and he found himself staring into a black chasm, of which he could not see the bottom. He struggled back, but something seemed to be pulling him into the chasm, into the black abyss. His back legs were the only things still on the edge of the pit, and he could feel them slipping.

Arven fell, howling, down the chasm. He could feel the air rushing past him, and looking down could just make out the rapidly approaching ground. He saw it coming closer and closer. His breath came in short gasps, his heart was beating wildly.

Just as he felt himself collide with the solid rock, his eyes flew open, and he found himself lying in a ice covered clearing, with panicked creatures shouting to one another and running here and there on every side of him.

Keitsumah likes this.
  15. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

Zahar sat puzzled by the prophecy. There was so many things he didn't know. Who where the chosen? Would everyone else really die? What would they find in the heavens? Would there come a new godlike creature? The questions was too many. Time was not his ally at the moment. A loud roar from above startled him. The source was a huge dragon. This was bad. His usual safe bet that nobody would eat him didn't work here. Most dragons didn't mind a little fire, though they didn't seem to be as impulsive as other animals. Then the dragon turned it's furious gaze on him.

"Is he gone?"

The dragon didn't look hungry, so Zahar decided to play along for now. He opened his mouth to speak, yet found that he couldn't. He nodded his head and said the words he'd been dreading.

"The Twin Tails is dead." It came out as a whisper. Then a little louder. "The Twin tails is gone."

He couldn't believe it. The powerful, godlike Twin Tails had fallen. Zahar spread his wings slowly, it didn't seem as important now, the blizzard. Yet he didn't want to die either. He joined the dragon in the air above the clearing. He looked down on everything trying to get a grip on the situation. The blizzard was the main problem, except for the corpse of the Twin tails that was. Then he noticed a form, in the middle of the storm. On closer inspection it proved to be a wolf. This was bad. It meant that there were two creatures here that could easily kill him. This was a strange day indeed.

16. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

So man has finally declared war against the creatures of this forest. Yavii thought to herself. In the midst of the chaos around her, she remained calm. Standing still and watching, as she often did. Her branches rustled as a cold wind from afar blew through them.
    "Poison will spread through tree and grass...Fire will burn - each tree a star," These are ominous things indeed.
    The tree nymph took a heavy step forward towards the corpse of the Twin Tails. This forest is about to erupt in chaos and there is no one to stop them.
    "I have fallen, and another shall rise.
    Be they dark or bright depends all on man's . . . and animal's . . . ties." Is he saying what I think he's saying. That our new ruler depends upon the bond between man and creature? Surely we are doomed if this is the case.

Yavii's four eyes blinked slowly. In her hundred years, never had she felt so fearful as she did now.

17. BrandonrockstheAM

Leal flew through the wind, and within a half-second, had his poison-tipped fang 3 inches deep in the Griffon's leg. The Griffon roared in pain, and swatted at the snake, but Leal had already jumped off, hissing happily. Leal slithered into the bushes, licking the blood that was on his fang. Oh, it would be satisfying to watch the Griffon, the monster who robbed him of sustenance, suffer through 20 minutes of pain. He watched as the Griffon's mate and his little one crowded around him, worry etched in their faces.

Leal licked his eyes, determined to watch all of their suffering. The disease from the poison, the virus, was going to spread to the Griffon's family, and within a week at most, they'd all be dead. Leal could just slither up to their nest and feast on the meat of their bones for months. Leal shivered with pleasure at the irony of the situation. Leal, the poor victim robbed of his food, would get to feast on the one responsible. Leal loved it, oh how he enjoyed it. The Griffon let out another scream of pain, now flat on his back, drawing the attention of every creature around. Leal thought that they must be thinking about how the law was no longer in place, and that they were in danger. Oh yes, they were all in danger from the most deadly creature of Dell.

Then, he felt a burst of cold. His beady red eyes flicked quickly over to a wolf-like creature surrounded by a blizzard, and a swath of frozen animals with looks of surprise on their faces. What was this? A wolf, with an ability to freeze the temperature all around him, as it appeared. Leal, slightly nervous the wolf might see him, slithered around the bushes to get a better look. The wolf was strange-looking in appearance. He looked like blizzard and freezing had a baby pup. Leal thought it might be painful to try and sink his fangs into any of the frozen figures, perhaps even the wolf. Leal wouldn't risk that, he was much too clever. He slithered back to the portion of the clearing where the Twin-Tails lay, but his mind was briefly invaded by a prophecy from the Twin-Tails lips. A vision in his head.

Leal froze in shock. Was the Twin-Tails... alive!? If he was, Leal would for sure be killed. Leal had best check. He quickly burst towards the clearing where the Twin Tails was. He'd think about the prophecy later.

Nearby were a pheonix, and... a dragon. A dragon!? These creatures were dangerous to Leal; they were all dangerous to try and kill. Those scales protected the dragon from his poisonous fangs, and the pheonix could probably burn him. They were speaking to each other, in an uneasy peace. Leal watched closely, and tried listening closely, even blocking out the last, strangled roar of pain that came from the Griffon. Leal wanted a hint that the Twin-Tails was really dead.

"The Twin-Tails is dead." The Pheonix said. "The Twin-Tails is gone."

Leal's serpentine lips curved upwards into an evil smile. Just as he had wanted. The great god? Not anymore! Everyone here was so nervous, thinking about what was going to happen. Oh, but Leal was not any ordinary creature. He knew that without something like the Twin Tails holding him back, Leal could do anything he wanted. Feast on every animal in the forest until he was the only one left alive. He'd watch as the dragon roared in pain when his fang stabbed it's eye. He'd smile as he'd flick a drop of poison from his fang onto the pheonix. He'd hiss in pleasure when he stabbed the wolf's head through his brain. Oh, the slaughter he could enjoy carrying out.

Then he remembered the very first line of the prophecy.

Poison will spread through tree and grass.

Leal's mad grin returned. Yes, his poison would run through the veins of every species of animal in this forest. It was even prophesied; he would slaughter all the creatures of the Dell. He decided to go to the pheonix and dragon, and try to make friends. Then, when they least expected, he'd strike.

Leal slithered up to the two, and said, in his oily, serpentine voice. "What will we do now? Our great and benevolent god is dead!?" Leal almost snickered at the sympathy and worry he was injecting like a poison into his voice. "I don't want to die! There are so many predators of a poor snake like me!" Leal wrapped himself up into a coil, as if trying to warm up. His eyes, full of worry and sadness, betrayed none of the cunning and evil that was boiling in his cold blooded brain.

Keitsumah and Macaberz like this.
  18. Razzles

Razzles Active Member

Arven leapt to his feet, snarling, and found himself, to his shock and horror, staring into the cruel, beady eyes of a griffon. He had never exactly feared the griffon, though he had been wary of them, due to their size and power. He stared into the griffons eyes for a few moments before he notice something strange.

The griffon wasn't moving, not even to breath. He sniffed at it, and though it still stank of griffon scent, it smelled colder, dead even. He glanced around him, and saw other creatures frozen the same way.

"I did this?" He murmured to himself. He laughed wickedly "I brought down the mightily griffon, the majestic unicorn, a whole cluster of imps?"

He walked proudly out into the clearing, enjoying hearing the started sounds the creatures made as they found themselves in below zero temperatures as he got near to them. After a while, he managed to stop his power from being so strong. The blizzard stopped spreading quite so fast, and the temperature around him rose slightly.

He whipped his head around, startled by the dying shriek of a griffon. So, he thought, there are two griffons dead tonight. My my, how sad.

He walked over to the still body of the griffon, and found a small wound on its leg. He sniffed at it, and his eyes widened as he recognised the scent of the poison. He had smelt it before on a dead wolf from his pack.

"Angont." He whispered. He eyes swept the clearing, and he saw the snake. It was curling up, and wailing about death. How he wished he had enough control over his power to freeze the dratted little creature.

He bounded over to it, and lowered his muzzle till it was just above the snake.

"You, predators?" He growled at the snake. "I thought you Angonts were immune to almost every predator. But need it remind you there are other ways of killing that don't involve eating?" He risked using a little of his power to make the temperature drop. The creatures around him shivered, though didn't freeze.

Arven left the snake, and bounded off into the forest.

Keitsumah likes this.
  19. Cailinfios

Cailinfios Member

Arms crossed, Seri hovered in the shadows at the outskirts of the gathering, level with the tree tops. White spoke twirled around her legs. From her high vantage point she could see over the heads of most of the creatures gathered.
    The Twin Tails falls, and all becomes chaos... she thought shaking her head in disgust. She'd never understood why the creatures all bowed to the strange animals whim. Most of them could kill the Twin Tails easily, yet they all revered him as a god. My father is a majestic Djinn who has held his status as king for almost two thousand years through cunning and might. None can challenge him. This Twin Tails has done nothing but appear every Telling, yet they revere him? Bah!
    Suddenly, in the clearing, a red angont leaped out and sunk his teeth into the Griffon. Seri's purple eyes widened and her mouth slit into a diabolical grin revealing several small, pointed teeth. Attacking in the moment of confusion.... genius!
    The clearing was illuminated by the light of a large, fiery phoenix. He landed in the clearing beside the Twin Tails. A red-brown dragon, the wind from his wings disturbing Seri's smoke, flew past and landed beside the phoenix. She watched, interested.
    The clearing began to glow, flickering with light coming form the Twin Tails. The creature lives? Seri wondered.
    And then a Voice spoke, the sound encompassing the whole clearing and vibrating in Seri's head.

Seri froze. A prophecy! Her people held great claim to prophecies, and among her clan, anyone who could speak the Words of the Fathers was held above all, even the king himself. Does it mean anything? Seri wondered.
    "The Twin-Tails is dead." She heard the Pheonix say. "The Twin-Tails is gone."
    I have fallen, another shall rise...
    At that moment, the angont from before slithered in and joined the phoenix and dragon. ""What will we do now? Our great and benevolent god is dead!?" It said.
    Seri focused her eyes on the angont as it wrapped itself in a coil. That snake is up to something, She thought. Her grin widened. This sounds like fun.... She watched as a white wolf, wind whipping around him, bounded up to the angont and growled something.
    As he bounded away, she floated down until he was level with the angont. Everybody was in a panic, and nobody paid her much more attention that a Djinn usually attracted.
    "Hey, snake-thing!" she whispered. "You, angont! I want to join you." Seri let some of her Bewitching sneak into her words, convincing the angont to trust her.

Keitsumah likes this.
  20. BrandonrockstheAM

Leal saw the wolf bound up to him, and his eyes flashed in nervous fear. The wolf was capable of easily killing him now. Leal tensed his body, ready to spring away if the wolf attacked.

The wolf spoke, it's voice icy and cold. "You, predators? I thought you Angonts were immune to almost any predator. Need I remind you there are other ways of killing that don't involve eating?"

Yes, my wolfen friend, Leal thought. Leal would only have to pierce any part of him with his fang and he'd be dead. Just a little prick, and the wolf would spend 20 minutes suffering a horrible death. If he had any family; any creature he spent time with; Leal could kill them and let the disease do his work for him as well. Or he could just do it for the fun of it. Watch as the wolf suffered his punishment for trying to intimidate the most deadly creature in Dell.

Leal's beady eyes scanned the wolf's face and eyes before it scampered off, and Leal felt a burst of cold. His sensitive nostrils almost froze. His cold blood got even colder as his brain noted that the wolf was arrogant, with the audacity to approach one he knew had killed a Griffon, and fierce, with the ability to freeze anything he wanted. Leal noticed how he stayed away from his pack once he left Leal alone, which meant he was probably a loner. A lone wolf, oh how that particular phrase suited him. Leal would've snickered if he could, realizing how similar they were. Although, wolves were a snake's natural predator. This wolf, whoever he was, was a danger to Leal. Leal would show that wolf someday who was the true predator of the forest. Leal would kill him someday. Perhaps to do it now would be an excellent time. Follow him, and leap down from a tree, latching onto his fur. Leal started following the canine, following the icy trail of his scent, his murderous eyes flashing every time he licked them.

"Hey, snake-thing!" Leal heard from behind him, and the snake stopped in his tracks. He turned around to face a powerful-looking Djinn. Her eyes were alight with interest and fun, and then she continued. "You, Angont! I want to join you."

Leal immediately felt offense. How dare this Djinn creature call him a "snake-thing!" What of this "joining" as well? This wasn't some quest, it was bloody revenge! This Djinn was making his species out to be some common snake, oh the nerve! This wolfen creature had offended him, and so had this Djinn. If his poison was to run through the forest, these two would suffer double. Maybe he'd get to work soon on making a poison with an extended period of pain before death, especially saved for these two idiots. Messing with the deadliest Angont in the forest, oh they'd suffer. He started creating an extra batch of poison and licking it all over his fangs, then he felt something strange wash over him.

The Djinn... she did offend him, but perhaps she could be useful? Yes, Leal could trust her. No! Leal didn't trust anybody, it was too dangerous! But, this Djinn... she was powerful. Leal would let her be close. Perhaps she could help him learn more about the wolf.

Leal flicked his eyes to the Djinn, eyes brimming with uncertainty from a conflicting mind. Then he made up his mind, flicking his eyes to the female Djinn. She was clearly doing this out of interest and for fun, what harm would she wish upon Leal?

Leal spoke, his oily voice infused with the poison coating his fangs. "Why, of course, Djinn. You can travel with me... As long as you tell me everything you know about that wolf that was just here." Leal's beady red eyes locked on the Djinn, hoping she would help him. "Something like his name and where he lives would be incredible." Leal emphasized the words, letting a few more liters of oily poison coat that last word.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  21. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Tanith attempted to stay in the loop of the conversation, but soon gave up. With Twin Tails gone, things were bound to get out of hand, sooner rather than later. No creature could be allowed to perform sacrilege on the shrivelled remains of two-tails. Ashes to ashes, she thought as she quietly landed on all fours, circled around the holy remains like a cat. With her wings shielding the remains from sight, she set fire to the ground around and underneath the dead deity. It was better for two-tails to burn now, than to be left rotting away and become the unholy monument of chaos. She watched patiently as the smoke and ash intertwined in the air.

22. Razzles

Razzles Active Member

Arven ran through the forest, the grass underneath his paws freezing, but melting as soon as he stepped off it. He ran up a steep hill, that became a small cliff. Once he was on top of the cliff, he could see towards the clearing. A small tendril of smoke rose into the night sky, and he felt his heart leap with fear. Maybe the prophecy was already coming true. Fire will burn, it had said.

Arven fled. He didn't care where he went so long as it was away from the clearing, away from the fire. His lungs were screaming for air, sending warning jolts of pain through his chest. Eventually, he listened to them and stopped.

He carefully made a small bank of snow, and curled up in it. He kept his wary eyes open, scanning the forest. Ever since he had left the telling, no, ever since he had the dream, he had felt unsettled, almost like their was someone trying to warn him, and also someone who wanted to kill him.

23. Cailinfios

Cailinfios Member

Frustrated that her Bewitching had only worked to a point - the snake was supposed to accept her without doubt - Seri frowned. She didnd't know anything about the Ice Wolf. Technically she'd be able to find the information, but was she willing to reveal that to the snake?
    Why not? Seri thought. "Bargain accepted," she said. She closed her eyes, focusing hard. Her tattoos began to glow.
    Very few creatures knew very much about Djjin culture. The tattoos and many items of golden jewelry werent just for show, they were strongly linked to the Djinn religion, and their ability to see, at least slightly, that which others could not.
    In he minds eye she saw the Dell. The wolf shone like the sun at the edge of the clearing, a bright white light. She egn to focus on him. "His name is Arven..." Seri said slowly. She fosuces harder. She needed to find out more! Suddenly the wolf started running even faster. He's getting too far away! I can't see him anymore! She tried desperately to catch him with her mind, at least to find out where he lived, but she couldn't.
    "Curses!" she snapped. "That's all I know," she said to the angont. "But I can find out more, if we try and follow him. I can still sense him, and tell in which basic direction he is." Again she Bewitched the angont, but she was worried. This snake is very skilled at resisting my powers....

24. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Garlems pest

"Whooo, wheee, hahaha" A messy adolescent girl laughed cheerily as she swayed up and down in the air on a long red branch. accept it wasn't a branch, it was a tail, thick and strong it swayed with a balanced looseness never actually touching the ground, and attached to the tail a body. thick and muscled with red scales fixed on it' spine that looked more like clad Armour a knight would wear. black leathery skin underneath the bony covering gave the 7 ton beast a devilish appearance. The stuff of nightmares? well his bored expression and the girl swinging on his tail laughing and care free greatly damaged his image and any reputation he had built up while in his prime. The thought made him moan in defeat shaking his head, smooth like a crash helmet save for century year old claw marks running down his snouts armored surface.

She scurried up his tail and ran upright across his back brimming like a child on a summer day, messy black hair with unfortunate bugs snared in it's wirey coils, flaying in the wind. and what a nice breeze it was. Garlem looked out at the forest beneath them, on their little mountain they could see all of it, the cool nighttime breeze caressing his monstrous visage.

"Aya!" The girl shouted cheerfully belly flopping on his snout, breaking him out of his tranquil state. He snorted unamused, then dropped his snout causing her to fall off hitting the ground with a thud.

"Your too old to be playing games, your not a hatchling anymore." he scolded. She looked at him scratching her head in mild pain, but grinned anyway. Garlem rolled his eye's and gruffly walked over her, albeit, taking care not to step on her.

"How? How do human parents do it? 16 years and she still follows me around like a new born?" he collapses on a smooth rock over looking the forest and begins to ponder, head raised slightly as if speaking to some spirit. " Humph! age must make you soft, I would not tolerate this little pest if I were 400." he snorted, on cue the (pest). landed on his head again and rolled off falling on his crossed front legs. There she admired his talons white and pristine they showed her reflection and she stared at her self for a moment, seemingly perplexed.

"here that? I should gobble you up!" he barked, although at his size it sounded more like a terrible roar. Frightened, she dashed away huddling behind a small rock, she whimpered, like a sorry dog. Garlem looked away stubbornly ignoring her pitiful sobbing.

"And stay there." he hissed, and then he put his head down, muttering to him self. In his prime he would bound down the slopes and into the forest, demanding the twin tails meet him in battle! such was the ways of the Rackdonia, the warrior beast, he wondered how he would fare against that which they call a god beast? In truth he was a stranger to this land, his was a world of heat and sand, of sphinx's and ghouls. Oh how far one could travel in 700 years, how far one could go just following the wind. But now, didn't want to challenge it, just to chat with such a being would be worth the journey, perhaps it could tell him what to do with his little pest? but age comes to all he supposed, he had out grown his lust for battle, and with that he closed his eye's to take a nap.

his eye's opened, something soft and cold leaned up to his underbelly, something fragile and shivering. He looked down at the human child, huddled up against his massive frame, weary, but cold, still whimpering staring at him with yearning.

"I should let you freeze." he huffed, "nature has no room for the weak." As he said this, he reached his large talons over to her quivering frame, and drew her close to his side, curling around her like a fortress of flesh and Armour against the cold chilling wind. She hugged him seemingly relieved, her shivering calmed, and like that she was at peace, and sleeping. More then the cold, she feared his rejection, more then warmth, she relished any slither of affection shown her.

"I should let you freeze." he gave her a gentle nudge with his snout, taking in her sent, studying her fragile form, almost endearingly. "I have grown so soft it's humiliating." he once again sighed in defeat, and snuggled with the little pest.

With his, little pest.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Love to Write, Keitsumah and Macaberz like this.
  25. Keitsumah

The smoke from Tanith's fire curled ever upwards into the sky, the vigil for a fallen god held only by a dragon and a Phoenix. Darkness seemed to cling not only to the sky as the moon began to set, but to the earth as well, and a chill wind blew from the south. Not even a stroke of grey had announced dawn's presence yet.

. . .​

Garlem was first aware of the soft rustle of wings, and may have dismissed it as nothing more than a bird, but then the sound grew louder. The creak of ancient wood could be heard, and the guttural cries of men. Opening one eye, the old beast peered upward to see what all creatures, regardless of size or power, feared most.

A huge, black ship carved into the shape of a dragon in flight hung over him, sails filled with a wind unseen -for it could not have been the mere breeze that could have brought it here so swiftly and silently. No. It could only have been magic.

Before Garlem could get up, a whole fleet of other ships sailed past, easily being mistaken for the thing they mimicked if not for the huge white sails on their backs. Still, he need not be concerned with them, but for the ship above him. The men had started shouting louder now, and then there was a rattling of chains. A massive stone cross crashed down not feet from where he and the girl lay. There was a rustle of cloth, then two pairs of feet hit the ground.

The two tall, slender men were still tiny compared to the bulk of the elderly Rackdonia, but their eyes glowed with an eerie light, and their hands, bare, seemed too thin for the normal human males that he had glimpsed. These were not men who had worked hard their whole lives, laboring on farms or in mines. No, these were mages -sent out by one of the Seven Kingdoms. One wore the white cloak of a wind mage, but the other was clothed in a robe of bright red scales that rattled when he moved. An animagus.

A Rackdonia animagus.

Curling his thin lips to reveal teeth that had been filed to points, the man's body began to morph and change. Bones split, muscles coiled and roped up and around, leaving nothing but a fleshy egg. Then it burst apart, and a bull Rackdonia stepped out, steam billowing from his nostrils. He looked to be little more than 200 and in his prime.

The wind mage let out a gutteral shout and stepped away from the two beasts, waving his hands in a series of complex signs. A fell wind began to howl around the mountain, coiling up and around them and picking up bits of stone and scree as it grew into a terrible cyclone.

They were sealed in.

. . .​

The others were soon beset upon by the same types of ships as Garlem. Leal and Seri looked up not seconds before a barrier of water blasted up from on high and caged them in a cyclone produced by a water mage. Another scale-coated animagus soon dropped down beside the first. Letting out a terrible shriek, the mage shifted into a Roc -a great bird known only to exist in the deserts to the far east.

And the only creature known to be invulnerable to a viper's poison.

Flapping his wings, the Roc rose a little into the air and bared foot-long talons hooked like scimitars, then lashed out.

. . .​

Arven heard only the rustle of cloth before another pair of mages burst through the tree-cover and landed on either side of him. The animagus's eyes narrowed at the wolf, and a cruel grin came to his face before he turned into a large fire salamander. The other mage quickly sealed them in with a cyclone of blazing flame, heat crackling along the leaves of the trees, threatening to burst into an inferno.

Things were beginning to get hot, but they were only going to get hotter.

. . .
    Talith, Yavii and Zahar were the last to be beset upon, taken off guard by the dark of night which cloaked the enemy until it was too late. Two mages, just like before, landed on either side of them. This time it was an earth mage and a Hydra-animagus. With a great roar, the beast undulated itself, coiling it's tail around them like a ring, each of it's seven heads hissing venomously and revealing three rows of knife-like teeth.

But it was not the dragon, phoenix, nor the wood nymph that they were looking at. It was the burning remains of the Twin Tails.

"Musssssst not let burrrrn! Massster not let burrrrrn!" Chest swelling, the hydra let loose a blast of water as cold as the depths of the deepest seas, aiming to put out the blaze that the dragon had started.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014