Tags:
  1. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

How many of us stay up-to-date with industry news?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Little Miss Edi, Sep 15, 2008.

Hello all! I wasn't sure where exactly to put this but I'm burning with curiosity so I plumped for the Lounge.

How many of you (lovely people out there) keep up-to-date with publishing industry news?

I read the bookseller everyday (I say everyday - I mean every working/week day)to keep an eye on what's going on and probably would have continued reading publishing news if it hadn't gone out of print.

Do you read industry mags?
    Which ones are you're favs?
    And what are the big issues recently that have peaked your interest?
    Do you read 'writer's news as well (and if so where do you find those golden nuggets of news?)

:)

2. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I don't keep up at all, but I think that's primarily because I'm not trying to get published. :redface:

I notice a lot when copyright issues come up in the news, though.

And I realize this is a lame answer, but you asked. :D

*bows out*

3. Little Miss Edi

That's a fine answer by me. :p Makes sense if you're not looking to get published.
    I wonder what quantity of people on this site are looking to? That might change the results a little :D I realise, right now, I sound like a stats geek :)

4. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I do occasionally buy Writer's Digest and Writer's Market. Does that count?

I'm not looking to get published either, so I don't know what compels me to purchase them, but I do. I will be honest and say I've only done a bit of flipping through and have retained nothing. First it was my younger brother and now my father has some health issues that needed attending to, so between shuffling from work to hospital to home, there's really no time to read up on them.

Sorry, Edi. I'm not much help either >_>;;

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I subscribe to Locus and The Bulletin, both of which focus on what's happening in SF and Fantasy.

I also occasionally check out/eep up with a few blogs that 'important' editors and writers in the field maintain/post to.

Terry

6. mmorsepfd

mmorsepfd New Member

I subscribe to The Writer magazine. I just find the publishing world fascinating. They actually published a story of mine in their August, 08 issue.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm not, since my philosophically-bent works are meant to enlighten the reader, not line my pocket, so they're all free to anyone who wants 'em...

however, since i'm mentoring aspiring writers of all breeds, all over the world, i do keep an eye on news items to do with the various writing-related industries, so i can keep my advice up to date...

8. Little Miss Edi

There's a lot of new titles here that I haven't seen, which is cool (the google machine is working overtime as I try to find them! :p )

I'm not looking to get published either, but have to agree with mmorsepfd, the physical process of getting from your head to the page is fascinating! :)

Thanks everyone for your replies thus far, they've all been really helpful.
    (and Still Life, those mags totally count ;) )