1. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Which do you prefer? Why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayyy1014, Aug 5, 2011.

Hi, I was just wondering.. Have any of you tried the new Google chrome.. I just did and honestly I'm not too fond of it. I prefer Firefox..
    So What do you all prefer.. google chrome, Firefox, internet explorer, or other? Also why do you prefer it? Just wondering:)
    (Also, I don't think there is another thread like this.. but, In case they are I'm sorry, please excuse me if I overlooked the other thread..) :)

2. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I like Google Chrome. It's much faster then Internet Explorer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jayyy1014

I agree with you on that, but In my opinion mozilla firefox is faster than the internet explorer as well... and I've been using firefox for so long I couldn't get used to a google chrome kind of thing. :p

4. Fullmetal Xeno

I really can't say if it's faster then Firefox, cause i've never used Firefox. I might stand corrected.

5. Jayyy1014

Well, they're about the same, but to me Like I said, I could never get used to something else unless its quite outstanding. :)
    But, I do see where you were coming from, I used google chrome for a few days and quit using it today. But, In my opinion everything is faster than internet explorer.

6. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I moved from Explorer to Firefox to Chrome. I really like Chrome. I find it considerably faster than either Explorer or Firefox, and I like all the shortcuts that come with it --Chrome can recall tabs that you've accidentally closed, hide your internet activity, and the bookmarks are sweet. I also like that the address bar works also as a Google search engine. :)

The only thing I dislike is that it sometimes wont open new links the first time you open the program and you sometimes have to restart Chrome once or twice. I never had that problem with Firefox or Explorer.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Internet Explorer seems too much of a herculean task to open. It has too much bars and it can painfully slow down your computer. No matter how many times they update it, it still is bogged down from too much information.

8. MRD

MRD New Member

I've never used Google Chrome, but I do use Mozilla Firefox which suites me fine as I surf this world wide web that we have. As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", I'll most likely not be switching to Chrome for that reason.

9. Jayyy1014

Yeah, the reason why I didn't like chrome was the fact that I was too used to firefox, although chrome is simple. And the reason that Mercurial stated.. It was too much of a hassle. :/ I don't know I may be biased on this subject as well though:)

10. Fullmetal Xeno

In every browser, it seems certain things are too much to handle at certain points. I beileve Chrome can be too much when it comes to tabs, but it just depends on how many you open. I might average at 6 or 7 open tabs in a single use, but some days it can be 3 or 4. Sometimes it will also become unresponsive, constantly freezing after i click the mouse. That's also one little bug that's in Chrome.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I like Chrome. Faster, and there's so much more you can do with it.

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like Chrome. I also like Opera. Both Opera and Firefox have moved to a Chrome-style layout since Chrome came out.

13. LaurenM

LaurenM Member

I also like Chrome. I've tried all three, and Firefox beats Internet Explorer, but Chrome beats Firefox. It took a day or two to get used to it, but I love how the address bar is also the google search bar and how sleek everything is. It's so fast compared to the others, and the display isn't nearly so crowded as with Firefox and Explorer. (Well, since the last time I used those two. They might have changed a bit.)

14. art

art Contributor Contributor

That's what I've found too.
    The best bit is the 'search Google option' (in a new window) after right clicking a highlighted word.

15. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Heh, I downloaded Chrome some time ago and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me to try it, :) Right now I use Firefox and are happy with it.

16. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm not that fussed with which web browser I use. At the moment, I use Safari merely because it's the one for my Macbook and I see no problem with it. On my old laptop, I used Firefox because Internet Explorer was slow. I haven't tried Chrome but it's apparently good.

17. WriterDude

Alright, I've installed Chrome and are using it right now. At first glance it looks faster than Firefox, and it's easier to get access to the bookmarks (once I figured out how to get the bookmark line permanent). Bad things is I'm Norwegian, and it insisted on translating every page to Norwegian. Not only that, but all this text I'm writing right now is marked with a red line, aka I spelled every single word wrong. Geez... I'm not giving up on it just yet, though. Stay tuned. :p

Edit: Hm... turns out I can have spell check in English or Norwegian - but not both at the same time. Oh, well. I dn't neeed spel cheks. :p

18. Jayyy1014

:p Lol.. There is a such thing called opera? What's it like?

19. WriterDude

Opera is a pretty good browser, yes. :) And the names makes at least as much sense as Safari and Firefox. :p

Btw I've been using Chrome since yesterday and kinda like it. It's fast and gives me a quick access to my bookmarks on a menu on top of the screen. The only thing I don't like is I can't seem to format the text with keyboard shortcuts (or at least none I that makes any sense.) For instance, I used to press Ctrl + I to make the text Italic and Ctrl + B to make it Bold. If someone can tell me how to do that in Chrome, I won't need to go back to Firefox. :)

20. Jayyy1014

Hmm, I may have to try this Opera browser out. :D
    Also, I think I may give chrome another chance. :) I'll be sure to tell ya'll how it goes.

21. Fullmetal Xeno

How come i have never heard of Opera before?

22. Patrick112391

Patrick112391 New Member

I think google chrome is a bit faster, but I'm used to mozilla firefox, not sure why.

23. WriterDude

It was initially released way back in December 1996, so I have no idea why you haven't heard of it.

24. Fullmetal Xeno

That's what im asking, how come i never heard of it? Cause it's been around for awhile...

25. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Don't know. You should give it a try. Opera was first with a lot of features over the years.

One thing that held them back a few years ago was that they were too rigid with HTML and other standards. The browser was not very forgiving of code that didn't follow standards, as so a number of pages you might go to were broken in Opera. Doesn't seem to be an issue nowadays.

Opera rightly claimed back then that it was the websites fault, not the browser's, but no one gives a damn whose fault it is, they just want the web page to work, and many of them worked right in other browsers but not in Opera.