1. Kilna87

Kilna87 New Member

Need New Authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kilna87, Oct 10, 2008.

Hey, I've come here seeking your help on finding some new authors.

Am a massive fan of Dean Koontz, and absolutely love all his novels, but now am currently seeking new authors. Am after people who have the same style of books as Dean Koontz.

It's hard to explain, but people who have read Dean Koontz will understand what I'm after.

Thank you.

2. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Stephen King has a similar style. He is the only one I can thin of that does.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Koontz is really unique. I can't think of a very similar writer to him.

Maybe try James Patterson--the Maximum Ride series is pretty good. Also, Ghost Story by Peter Straub is incredibly intense and well-written. He's more literary than Koontz.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

If you don't mind ebooks, take a look at some of the authors on wildchild publishing. They are cheap, and some really great reads on there.

Torana

5. architectus

architectus Banned

Dean Koontz is my favorite writer. You might want to check out Robert McCammon. Start with Swan's Song.

6. Kilna87

Kilna87 New Member

Yeah, a was worried that many people would say that Dean Koontz has his own unique style and wouldn't comopare tro anyone else. I think that's why I love his novels so much.

I was thinking about getting some Stephen King novels but the problem I always find is that am always looking for the novels to the films I've seen, so anyone wish to recommend any to me?

A used to be into James Patterson, but I don't get how you can compare him and his novels to Dean Koontz. Yeah, some of his books are good but they just have no description whatsoever and just rush along. I finished his Sail book in one read and felt let down afterwards.

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Some of my favorite Stephen King novels include Misery, 'Salem's Lot, and Desperation. All of those were movies.

Insomnia was also really good.

8. Sephie913

Sephie913 New Member

I'm sorry; other than Poe, I couldn't recommend any authors for horror. I've heard Koontz was really good.

King has always been a little coarse for my tastes. The description of things just don't capture my attention, let alone my imagination or terror.

I've heard that Lovecraft is good, as well. Mary Shelley. Sorry, not big on contemporary horror.

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Blugh!
    Stephen King is not a great horror writer, his stories lack taste and can't hold my interest.

My recommendations:
    H.P.Lovecraft

Edgar Allan Poe

Scott Smith [The Ruins is really good]

Bentley Little

10. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Gunslinger series is not horror but good.

Needful Things is good so is Nightmares and Dream Scapes(Collections of Short Stories)

TommyKnockers, The Black House, Pet Semetary, and it are good. It is better as a novel then a movie.

11. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I've read most of Dean Koontz books, at least all the store had. James Patterson is a great writer and his endings are always a surprise, especially Beach Road.

LL Foster has a new series out called the Servant. The two books out so far are unique and edgy.

Sandy

12. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Try Piers Anthony Incarnations of Immortality (except the eight book).

13. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

My favourite reads are short stories by Isaac Asimov, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Bloch, Anthony Boucher, Ray Bradbury, Frederic Brown, Ramsey Campbell, Hugh B Cave, August Dereleth, Thomas M Disch, Harlan Ellison, Philip Jose Farmer, Charles L Grant, Robert A Heinlein, Robert E Howard, W W Jacobs, M R James, Stephen King, Henry Kuttner, Joe R Landsdale, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, Tanith Lee, Fritz Leiber, Thomas Ligotti, H P Lovecraft, Brian Lumley, Arthur Machen, Kim Newman, Joyce Carol Oates, Edgar Allen Poe, Robert M Price, Joanna Russ, Clark Ashton Smith, Bram Stoker, Theodore Sturgeon, Steve Rasnic Tem, Lisa Tuttle, Manly Wade Wellman, and F Paul Wilson. Many of these have also written several novels. They're worth looking up.