1. Paperboy

Paperboy New Member

Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Paperboy, Jan 11, 2007.

who's better in horror stories, adults or teenagers??

2. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

Both

3. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Yeah, either. It depends on the demented creativity level the person holds. The only thing I would figure an adult writer would have is more writing sense and style. Perhaps a perfected writing voice.

4. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Which is crucial for a quality story or novel if you ask me.

5. Axis

Axis New Member

I'm sorry, on the face of it that sounds like a stupid question. Then I thought about it a bit further, and it still sounded stupid.

The best characters for the story are the ones that fit the story. There's no rules other than that.

6. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

On the hypothesis that Paperboy meant, "Which make better main characters in horror stories?", I'd say that either one will make for an interesting tale.

The teenagers are good characters if 1) they are on their own for the first time, 2) they have only partial knowledge of how to solve the problem, 3) they have to rely on their own initiative to survive.

Adults are good if 1) they have someone helpless to protect (children, an idiot teenager - and I mean that in the "Matches? How do you expect me to light a fire with MATCHES?" way - or a disabled/injured person), 2) the usual help (police, et cetera) is unavailable, and 3) they have read something or seen something that helps them survive and escape later on in the story.

I hope that helps. Good luck in your writing.

7. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

But try and steer clear of cliche characters for a more interesting story.

8. Traci

Traci New Member

Like..Cliche like HOW.. like..OMG..the blond cheerleader! no way!! WHATEVER :D

9. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

The problem with horror stories in terms of the adults VS. teenagers debate is that adults can be seen as expendable due to their age and have already lived a life thereby not making the situations of their deaths, or potential deaths, to be very horrific, but that teenagers are youthful and are just able to stand on their own two feet. So making them the victims is supposed to make it all the more tragic.

This way of psychology doesn't really work any more since the Nightmare on Elm Street :)cool: ) films because teenagers nowadays are neither innocent (which makes sympathy/empathy a lost thing) and are much stronger, aggravatingly ignorant and more vicious than teenagers of past generations (so making them the victims is only likely to make me root for the bad guy cos I can't stand irritating cheeky bastard teens! :mad: :D ).

So what does the prospective horror writer got left seeing as how Wes Craven has already corrupted the innocence of youth a long time ago?

Don't look to me for the answers...I don't do horror! :p lol

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I like making children the main characters in my horror stories.
    -Under ten they're usually innocent, even if they're little terrors.
    -The unknown is really unknown to them.
    -No gratuitous nudity is ever involved.
    -You won't have some dumby saying, I know how to solve everything, I saw it in a movie, read a book, was a member of a weird cult, etc.
    -They don't run around saying "This can't be happening!" even as its happening. Because they already know monsters live under the bed.
    -It's easy and realistic to really amplify their fears of practically anything, to make the story sadder, more scary, or in certain cases funnier.

The main problem with using children is keeping them alive realistically. But it beats having to avoid the stereotypical dumb/horny teens, and jaded/suicidally depressed adults.

11. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Max, I'm getting the strong feeling from your posts everywhere that you have no clue. I disagree with everything you've just said. Adults can be seen as expendable? Since when? And your rant on the teenager holds less weight than a fart and smells just as bad. T

Don't look to me for the answers...

I heartily implore everyone to listen to him, just this once.

Paperboy, both make good MCs. It's the writer that makes bad ones.

- FoY

12. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

If there's anything you have to say to me that you even presume to think I would have any interest in whatsoever, then don't be shy about letting me know what that is.