Horses for human consumption

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dresden260, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I would say farming is fine.
    CAFOs(Concentrated Animal Farming Operations), however, are idiotic and inhumane - to the animals and to the people who eat it. These animals can hardly move, they lived stuffed into cages for their entire life, they have no time to develop. For the best meat, the most nutritious meat, you want to eat animals which lived in a healthy environment and are able to develop fully. Simply pumping nutrients and hormones into them does not result in the same development. The waste generated by these CAFOs, though, is horrendous.

And no, animals are not the main source of nourishment in third world countries. Plants are - specifically rice.

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Off the top of my head Europe, South America and Asia.

3. Jhunter

That would depend on the country. But, I guess I still should have said, "Their best source of nourishment." Since meat has more vitamins and minerals than grains or rice. As well as more protein.

4. Jhunter

Double post.

5. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

So my interesting story that relates to food. So when I was growing up my family was in a much more rural area. For a while there we basically had to survive off game meat and food we raised, so during bird season we ate birds, deer season we ate deer, rabbit season we ate rabbit. It was all good food and nourishment we were happy to have. Now I am not saying that everyone should hunt or eat meat, I just am saying that sometimes we lose perspective when we are standing at some grocery store staring at packaged meat. Not everyone has the choices we do.
    As another little addition. At one point I ended up spending a bit of time in Egypt. Once again I was not highly paid so I ate what the locals ate. I consumed lamb, goat, and pidgin on a very regular bases and shark at lest once. It was quite good and actually still sometimes go looking for them to eat. However to most “westerners” these are foods they would not consume or would avoid.
    I think sometimes we get so chough up in our little worlds that we forget what is outside of it and what is the norms.

2 people like this.
  6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

It has concentrated protein, that it gets from plants.
    Besides, Golden Rice. Pity it just is not being accepted by those who need it.

7. Jhunter

I am sorry, I am not understanding your reply. Can you be more specific?

8. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Meat has concentrated protein, which is gains from eating plants. In other words, I am agreeing with you. Meat is a the best source of protein, however...

Golden Rice is a Genetically Modified Organism (plant) with far more vitamins, proteins, essential nutrients than normal rice. It is not being accepted because it is a GMO, and people are afraid of the complications it will bring to those who need it.

Plants > Animals, for everything.

9. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Golden Rice contains Beta Carotene which is then synthesized by the human body into Vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency causes night blindness, blindess, decreased resistance to infection, etc. It IS a necessary and vital thing to have, but it's not a miracle worker (though I suppose it can come across as one). Those people still need other vitamins and minerals in their diets that they will STILL be lacking no matter how much golden rice they eat.

As far as your final comment, did you just say plants are greater than animals for everything? Or did I read that wrong? Because that would be a direct contradiction to your first comment.

10. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

If you want to be as healthy as you can then you must eat meat.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm not a big meat eater, i don't even eat meat once a week, but I have tasted horsemeat and I thought it tasted really good. I am going to shock you by saying I practically grew up among horses and I love horses. BUT i find it worse to eat beef or pork because of the way they are kept and treated until the time of consuption, because they just live to be food, while horses doesn't live like that at all. No one keeps horses (in poor conditions too) to eat them, at least not as i know, and at least not in this part of the world. ok, I would never eat cat or dog meat so i guess that is really crossing the limit for me since I have had cats since I was a kid. In these days I am turning more and more to a vegetarian lifestyle though, like i was years ago, but it's not so much for humanitarian (is that the right word when it comes to animals?) reasons as for health related ones.

12. Jhunter

Humanitarian deals with people. ;)

13. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

lets also remember that rice can not be grown everywhere. infact it can not be grown, or grown effeciently in many underdeveloped areas.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

:rolleyes:
    What's the right word?

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Humane.

16. Jhunter

What he said. Sorry, I meant to add that to my post, but I blundered it seems, haha.

17. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    Horse meat is stringy not tender like cows. That should be enough to push people away from it.

18. Steerpike

I don't know. String cheese is stringy, but I've been known to eat it :)

19. Dresden260

But dont people find it a bit annoying when you eat a piece of meat and you have to constantly pick out strands from your teeth. Even though i posted this i have to say i have eaten horse but only the heart. Tender yum.

20. Jhunter

That all depends on cookery technique. Most meats are tough, stringy and chewy if you don't cook it properly.

21. Jhunter

/highfive

22. Steerpike

Yeah, I don't care as much for meat with that texture. I had turtle once, and I thought the texture was somewhat...fibrous. Not sure what a better word is. I wasn't impressed with it.

23. cobaltblue

cobaltblue New Member

There are parts of the world where horse meat is consumed, it's just part of that culture. I don't think I would ever eat horse, but then I'm ridiculously picky with my food. Saying the world shouldn't eat one particular animal because certain groups of people view that animal as a pet doesn't make sense. I did see an item on the news a few years back which detailed horses in the USA being raised and then sold to for slaughter and consumption outwith the US, which had a lot of people upset because horses are beautiful and intelligent... but if those horses were only raised to be food, whats the problem with someone eating them?

24. Steerpike

I think this is right. Some people object to meat eating overall, out of concern for animals. Though if they like animals so much, why do they keep eating the animal's food? With an ever-growing human population, the true animal lovers will fast, thereby not depriving little Buster Bunny of his lettuce and carrots, and hastening the ultimate departure of humans from the planet. Whereupon a utopia will ensue, with animals living together in peace and harmony, carnivores rejecting predatory instincts and subsisting only on those prey animals who voluntarily give themselves over for the greater good (or who are in the throes of a suicidal depression and no longer wish to live).

1 person likes this.
  25. Dresden260

Horses eat hay. I have not seen anyone eat a bale of hay before. Also many country's have laws in place that restrict the amount of children you can have. Not saying this works but it does slowly tae off the pressure on farmers.

What about if you grow the food in your garden to feed your rabbit. You have a right to eat said food while not putting pressure on markets or farmers.