1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

House of Night

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 3, 2011.

I didn't seem to find this book discussed, but I wanted to post about it.

-The House of Night Series (aka HON) by PC and Kristen Cast-

It is definitely a fantasy series about teenage vampires, but I find the story line fantastic because (as a teen myself) I can relate to it (aside from the vampire part).

I just wanted to know if it's just a book meant for teenagers, meaning - only teens find it interesting, or do adults find it a good story as well?

I just wanted to bring up this series because I'm currently reading them and I was wanting to know the opinions of those of you (who are familiar with the series) opinions about the story.

2. lostnotelyssa

lostnotelyssa New Member

Well I'm a big fan House of night series. I like their storyline too and trust me I'm way pass being a teenage.

3. ~BORNtoWRITE~

~BORNtoWRITE~ New Member

My opinion is kind of strange. I'm also a teenager and find the books rather revolting (no offense). I know as soon as I finish the series ( I'm currently on the fifth book), its going to turn out just like Twilight, which I loved at first and then later questioned my sanity for ever picking the book up. The reason I do not like the books is simply because the only thing that appeals to me, that makes me addicted to the books (which I am) is the cliche vampire plot, the sex, and the totally unrealistic love triangle. Despite my objections to the book, you do have to give Cast props for targeting the right ways to trigger young peoples hormones, just like Miss Stephanie Meyers, although I hold Meyers to a higher esteem when it comes down to writing then I do Cast.

4. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

When I dropped out of school my friend leant me the books to give me something to do. I thought the first book was okay but the only character I really liked was Stevie Rae. I hated the changes they made to her character after the first book and I completely gave up with the series after book four. I've had book five sat on the shelf in my room since October 2009 (not sure if my friend even remembers I still have it :p) and I've had no inclination to read it despite the previous book ending on a cliffhanger. Plus, Zoey gets more and more annoying with each book.

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I read one of them. It was okay, interests me enough to have a go at another one some time later.
    But ugh, Vampires. Anything with main characters as vampires, I want to avoid for now.

6. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I love the house of night, and they have a fantastic storyline, And they relate to me alot, Other than the vampire part. lol

7. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I agree with you. I understand how vampires are a bit over-used now-a-days. Though, vampires are my favorite mystical beings. They fascinate me very much, that is why I watch and read just about everything that has something to do with vampires. I enjoy viewing other peoples' outlooks, opinions, and improvisation of what they believe vampires are to be.

I will admit, I watched all the Twilight movies (though, I did not bother with the books) and after a while, I didn't find Meyer's outlook on vampires correct (in my opinion), that is only why I do not enjoy Twilight. (not because I'm jumping on the bandwagon along with everyone else who hates "sparkling vampires") I dislike it for my own personal reasoning.

But yes, vampires are quite over-used.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Maybe you should pick up some good vampire books instead, like "Let the Right one in" (just note that the book can be mind scarring to some), or just good old "Dracula".

But on to HON, I began reading the first book, but put in on hold because of a busy schedule and then I forgot about it... It's a guilty pleasure book, definitely, but not really good. In my opinion.

9. Ophiucha

Ophiucha New Member

The story is alright, at least for the genre, but the writing... no.

10. Froggy

Froggy New Member

I enjoyed the series he first time around, but the second time I found it just blaaaaah.
    Why would I read it twice? - it's one of the few audiobooks I have and they pass the time nicely.
    I see how she sells the next book by ending on or in the middle of an interesting event.
    But I find the motivation of the characters a bit lacking. Most of what they do is out of inherent goodness or because they are 'bad'. There are parts, especially in the beginning, where a back story is set up, but then never really drawn upon...
    I'd call it a neat story, and I'll probably find the next book somewhere to read, but I wouldn't go over the whole series again. It's just not THAT entertaining....

11. HotfireLegend

HotfireLegend New Member

The series gets very repetitive. I gave up at Burned.

12. Jayyy1014

I stopped reading this series after a book.. I can't quite remember the book number.. but I want to continue the series.. Can anyone tell me which book I left off at.. (I don't remember which one I left off at and I can't find the books I had of them)
    but I remember the last book I read was when Zoey and her grandma and stevie rae and all of them beat Kalona, and They had to rescue Stevie rae (From the arrow in her.) Also..stevie rae and Aphrodite had an imprint.. Can anyone tell me which book I left off at? It'd be greatly appreciated.. :)

13. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty sure that's the fourth book: Untaimed. The next in the series is Hunted. (followed by Tempted, Burned, Awakened and Destined.)

As for me, I'm 33 years old, male and pre-ordered the ninth (and final) book. I can't wait! :D At first I thought it was just vampires all over again, but the vampire-stuff isn't really that important. And sure it's "just Harry Potter with female vampires", but it's so much more than that too. I love the series. :)

14. Jayyy1014

I loved it too, but I had to wait so long cause Mom wouldn't buy any more of the books for me.. :/ I kinda thought It was hunted though.. Maybe I'm wrong though. :p

15. WriterDude

The Stevie Rae vs arrow-incident was in book four: Untaimed. She's my favorite character, so I should know. ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. Jayyy1014

Yeah she's my favorite character as well and only for one reason. She's a country girl like me :D I can relate to her soo well it's not even funny! :D

17. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

I read the first few and found them entertaining enough, but not only did they become increasingly repetitive, but they become more and more aimless and random at the same time. My favorite character was (I don't remember her name) the rich girl with a bad attitude that ended up human.

As an adult, I find plenty of 'teen novels' entertaining, some more than others. I'm writing for that audience right now, so I read it a lot.

18. Jayyy1014

^ That would be Aphrodite.

19. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

20. Jayyy1014

Welcome.

21. WriterDude

She's my favorite because she starts as an underdog, but ends up a total badass. :D

22. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

If I'm not mistaken(I just pulled out my books and looked, so I'm not), the part where they defeated Kalona was Hunted. The part where Stevie Rae was shot was Untamed. :D I'm needing Burned. Tempted left me on a huge cliff hanger and I want to know more.

23. ImagineThat.

ImagineThat. New Member

I personally love HON so far. I just found out about the series this year so the only book I have read is Marked. But I recently went to the site and ordered the collection, plus the last two books of the series. I cant wait to read the rest because I really enjoyed it. I read Marked in 3 days. One of the greatest vampire books ive ever read! :)

24. Jayyy1014

yeah it was hunted. :) Thank you! :D I'm needing the same ones as you Aimi.