1. Bartleby

Bartleby New Member

a thought

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Bartleby, Dec 10, 2010.

Wouldnt it be interesting if for every person that died, the had to kill someone else. Like I died, then woke up as a ghost, with a name and a letter saying kill this person to proceed into the afterlife, and some people just go with typical things like a heart attack, but others go super creative. I dont know it was a silly idea I had, maybe a comedy to lighten death up a bit.

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I think this is a good idea, and it's unusual that most comedy movie that pertains to death involves killing in a way that is deemed to be funny. This reminds me of the move “PS I Love You,” where his wife dies and gives him a list of things to do to maintain the happiness of their marriage. On the other hand, if you want to have the antagonist to have others to kill one another via the “mystery” note, do so, and the story will probably turn out to be better than you think it is.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It sounds like a very cool idea, but don't turn to others for validation. If something interests you, write it. That's all there is to it. :)

4. Litoralis

Litoralis New Member

I personally think its a very intriguing idea! Howvere I feel it would work better as a darker theme as opposed to a comedy :)

5. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

Reminds me somewhat of Dead Like Me, but with a SAW mixed in..

I like it!

6. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Just a plot hole - some people would find it morally incorrect to kill someone else to save themselves (or move on in this case). Wouldn't this then just lead to the whole thing disappearing?
    IIII 4 people are dead. 1 refuses to kill
    III 3 people are dead. 1 refuses to kill
    II Etc
    I Etc
    . Oops. No one's dead.

Unless that is natural deaths count too?

7. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

MR,

OP said ghosts must kill to pass on - not that deaths must be caused by ghosts. If that was the case, then I can imagine a more organized effort on behalf of some ghosts to create eternal life for the living by preventing ghost killings.

In fact, even if people could die from natural causes/accidents/(human)murder, I wonder if some portion of ghosts would BELIEVE that this is not the case.

Hmm - what happens if a ghost's mark dies before the ghost can kill them? Does the ghost get a new target, or are the gates of heaven closed forever more?

One example given was a heart attack - could paramedics thwart such an attempt? How powerful are the ghosts? Do they simply say "okay, you're dead" and you die, or can they screw up these attempts?

Well, just a few thoughts.

-Frank

8. Bartleby

Bartleby New Member

I have already determind the ending to answer some questions, you are given a mark to kill a person, the ones who object and decide its wrong even though all the rewards are in favor of obeying the order get into heaven the ones who complete the deed and banished forever not having learned the ultimate lesson that life is the most precious thing and only god can take it or give it away. something like that :)

9. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

LOL - nice twist.

Brings to mind a comedic (classic) Twilight Zone episode about a man and his dog, and Heaven and Hell.

-Frank

10. Bartleby

Bartleby New Member

Thank you frank I thought it would be very nice if the MC followed around people he was going to kill and after around 3 people learning their lives just can't go through with it.

11. jazzman

jazzman Member

I think its a cool and rather new idea xxx also, has some pretty good moral and spiritual overtones and question but played out in a spectral reality...very cool. I would read it!

12. Bartleby

Bartleby New Member

I wrote a bit of it, its under Portal In the Bath tub, thats not what the title will be if you want to go read it, its a working progress but id love some thoughts on it.

13. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

That, honestly, can make for some Pro story telling.
    Lots of intrigue and character development. I'd definitely read it.

14. lovis

lovis New Member

Its not a bad idea and offers lots of material to work with.
    reminds me a lot of deathnote. its a manga/anime about a guy who finds a book and whose names he writes in them die.. but yea, yours is definitely a different concept, so thats good!

15. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Agreed :p

16. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Love the idea Bartley! Very original. I agree with Litoralis, it would go much better as a darker story, rather than a comedy. but its up 2 u :D good luck

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

As you can see, different writers would take the idea in different directions. Reggie might treat it as a dark comedy, Litoralis would take it more grimly. Make it your own, and as Mallory said, you don't need validation or approval. Just write it.

18. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

The idea of ghosts having to finish unfinished business on Earth before they can rest in peace is not a new one, but this idea is new AFAIK. Doesn't seem like it would lend itself to the comedy genre. I've heard of ghosts killing people, but never for the reason you stated. I've heard of ghosts killing people because they envy the living or because of a curse or something like that. This could be the seed of a good story, depending on how you develop it in the pre-writing stage.

19. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

I like this plot, although I think it could use some tweeking.
    Just ghosts killing other people tend to get boring, so how about we throw in some moral twist in it too. Like only people who are worthy of being killed gets killed.
    Kinda SAW style you know? =)

20. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

You should maybe include a Death as a character.
    I think that would also make for some interesting story telling.

-Maybe death decided to go on holidays and left other dead ppl to do his biding...
    -Maybe it has always been like this and death is just a guide...
    -Maybe death is looking for a sucessor.

And how does a ghost actually comit these deaths?

Just some points to think about. XD